House Price Crash Forum

The Good The Bad And The Downright Sh*te

Kingding

HOLA441

Just wondering what particular products that people on here seriously rate and which ones you know are landfill before they even come out of the box?

Can be anything from food brands to clothing to cars. Personally I could go through the rest of my life wearing Caterpillar boots as they appear to be virtually indestructable and last for years, Timberland clothing appears to be pretty solid as well I've still got some shirts I bought years ago and Dell computers seem to be good bits of kit (though you have to empty it of all the useless crap they decide to stick on it once you get it.)

In the crap camp I'd stick iPods, controversial maybe but if you fart too close to one of these things it breaks. Any type of hiking boot, that is made in China, I broke my own golden rule and bought some rather expensive hiking boots from an outdoor shop, went hiking in the mountains and watched in horror as the f*cking things virtually disintegrated around my feet.

Last but definately not least is a car called a Nissan 'Tiida' which I have the absolute misfortune of driving around at the moment, it's an absolute turd of a vehicle and driving it elicits the same reaction as would surfacing from a swim in the sea to find a used nodder hanging off your ear.

HOLA442

Just wondering what particular products that people on here seriously rate and which ones you know are landfill before they even come out of the box?

Can be anything from food brands to clothing to cars. Personally I could go through the rest of my life wearing Caterpillar boots as they appear to be virtually indestructable and last for years, Timberland clothing appears to be pretty solid as well I've still got some shirts I bought years ago and Dell computers seem to be good bits of kit (though you have to empty it of all the useless crap they decide to stick on it once you get it.)

In the crap camp I'd stick iPods, controversial maybe but if you fart too close to one of these things it breaks. Any type of hiking boot, that is made in China, I broke my own golden rule and bought some rather expensive hiking boots from an outdoor shop, went hiking in the mountains and watched in horror as the f*cking things virtually disintegrated around my feet.

Last but definately not least is a car called a Nissan 'Tiida' which I have the absolute misfortune of driving around at the moment, it's an absolute turd of a vehicle and driving it elicits the same reaction as would surfacing from a swim in the sea to find a used nodder hanging off your ear.

I'm a big fan of DMs. Got my last pair probably 8 years ago..and they're only now starting to show their age. I've never been a "spend 200 quid on a pair of trendy, poncy italian loafers" kind of person.

HOLA443

I'm a big fan of DMs. Got my last pair probably 8 years ago..and they're only now starting to show their age. I've never been a "spend 200 quid on a pair of trendy, poncy italian loafers" kind of person.

I'd spend that on something that was going to last me a good part of my life, especially if it were shoes.

I don't think I have ever owned loafers.

What is a loafer?

HOLA444
HOLA445
HOLA446
HOLA447

I Like

Jaguar

Linn

Triumph

Browning

Barbour

Parker

I dont like

French cars (I used to own one)

Packet meals

Anything described as this years fashion

Clothing made of nylon or similar material

Wood effect laminate flooring

Modern houses and flats

HOLA448

Anyone who's got sky and needs a wireless radio extension for the kitchen/garden etc - sky gnome for £30. Nice bit of kit, stopped producing them in 2007 but still available on ebay. Used are cheaper.

Cars: Honda, Honda, Honda. Great engineering - they love high revs - and some are stylish. Overall a pleasure to drive and easy on the pocket.

HOLA449

I love my dyson :-) - I'm allergic to dustmites :-(

Will second the Dyson vacuum cleaner and raise you a Dyson handheld. They work, are robust, and just plain well designed.

Green and Blacks chocolate - pity they are now owned by Cadburys.

Dislikes:

Any car with a K-series engine bored at 1.6l or 1.8l.

Volvos made after they were bought by Ford. Why the feck would you put parts made by Fiat in a Volvo unless you wanted to destroy the brand?

Money pits the lot of them.

Avis - UK and US.

Cadbury's changes to Australasian chocolate.

HOLA4410

Will second the Dyson vacuum cleaner and raise you a Dyson handheld. They work, are robust, and just plain well designed.

Green and Blacks chocolate - pity they are now owned by Cadburys.

Dislikes:

Any car with a K-series engine bored at 1.6l or 1.8l.

Volvos made after they were bought by Ford. Why the feck would you put parts made by Fiat in a Volvo unless you wanted to destroy the brand?

Money pits the lot of them.

Avis - UK and US.

Cadbury's changes to Australasian chocolate.

Other likes:

TV remote controls, laziness in a box.

Garmin GPS's + Satnav's for driving around places like London when half the bloody roads are closed for one reason or another.

The Octopus card (For anyone who has lived in Hong Kong)

Dislikes:

Facebook. Perfecting the art of egomania.

Mobile phones. Actually good bits of kit but are responsible for a strain of tinny voiced cockery especially on public transport and in the area of chav empowerment.

Ryanair, for obvious reasons.

Telstra in Aussieland, so bad I can't actually believe it remains in existence.

HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414
Guest X-QUORK

There'd be little point in living without my Leatherman Multi-Tool (guaranteed for life). There are other multi-tools, but none are a patch on the Leatherman.

Barbour jacket - I'll go before that thing wears out.

Heinz Baked Beans - no other bean will do.

On the bad side:

Proton cars, never driven one, never want to. The same goes for Chevrolets.

Sky TV - Murdoch's Empire Of Evil, or as I like to call it, Neocon TV.

That's all for now.

HOLA4415

Levis 501s - started wearing them in my late teens. Proper jeans - none of this skinny-fit, baggy, low-slung, anti-fit crap for me. Jeans mean 501s to me. I have several pairs from old worn ones to smart new black ones. Always get them at least half price from outlet shops.

Converse All Stars and Dr Martens. Started wearing them as a teen and never lost the habit. Just so used to how my feel feel in them.

Apple Macs - specifically Mac OS X. It is just an OS to die for.

The Fender Stratocaster or any good quality clone.

I tend no to buy things I'm not sure will be good so can't think of any bad products.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

There'd be little point in living without my Leatherman Multi-Tool (guaranteed for life). There are other multi-tools, but none are a patch on the Leatherman.

Barbour jacket - I'll go before that thing wears out.

Heinz Baked Beans - no other bean will do.

On the bad side:

Proton cars, never driven one, never want to. The same goes for Chevrolets.

Sky TV - Murdoch's Empire Of Evil, or as I like to call it, Neocon TV.

That's all for now.

With you on the Barbour jacket. The Leatherman is a really 1st class tool but I prefer the Victorinox.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Rate :

Packard Bell Notebook PCs. Had two of these which I use practically 24/7. First one lasted 3 years and was put into honourable retirement. Second one is now 2.5 years old and I will retire it at the 3 year point.

Samsonite travel gear. They used to have a lifetime guarantee on this. All the stitching is double and double staples/rivets as well. Very tough and strong.

Sony CRT TVs. There have to be plenty of bargins out there. If you have the space and don't need a 40 inch flat screen, go for a big Sony Tritron. Had one of these for 7 years. Picture is still as good as the day I bought it. Dad has a 15 year old tritron, again still perfect after a lot of use. It's going to be interesting to see how reliable the new LCD/plasmas are at the 10 year point.

Hate :

Audi. More of a love/hate than an outright hate. Great style, class build quality but had some seriously expensive repair bills on mine. Also my suspension has needed regular and expensive attention. Jap cars appear to be great from the surveys, with Hondas appearing very reliable.

Sony Laptops. Again great style and performance but my last one failed in under 2 years. Won't be buying another.

HOLA4420
HOLA4421
HOLA4422

Dislikes:

Dyson vacuum cleaners. They may work well, but they look like kindergarten toys.

CD cases... the way the hinges break off is one of the major design mistakes of the 20th century (considering the billions made)

My old TV remote, which had the teletext coloured buttons in reverse order

Nissan Figaros

VW Beetles

Anything to do with Tiscali

Likes...

Alan Godfrey reproduction Victorian maps, astonishing value for money

Milliput epoxy putty, a thousand uses and miles better than any other

HOLA4423

Rate :

Samsonite travel gear. They used to have a lifetime guarantee on this. All the stitching is double and double staples/rivets as well. Very tough and strong.

Hate :

Audi. More of a love/hate than an outright hate. Great style, class build quality but had some seriously expensive repair bills on mine. Also my suspension has needed regular and expensive attention. Jap cars appear to be great from the surveys, with Hondas appearing very reliable.

Agreed on the Samsonite.

Audi. I found fitting aftermarket suspension sorted mine out: Bilstein shocks and H&R springs with H&R anti-roll bars, both ride & comfort are perfect now.

HOLA4424
HOLA4425

You know, I've heard about this.

If you don't mind me asking, whereabouts did you get it done ?

Why would I mind?

Bought the stuff online and had my local mechanic fit it all. Just as long as you can find a good local mechanic - rare as hens teeth - he won't mind, just another job for him, I usually do most car mechanics myself but when it comes to suspension the awkwardness/pain/time just isn't worth it; you need a lift.

If you've got an RS or an S then this is a good resource: Link

For other Audis: Link

Edit: To add links.

Archived