House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Is Life Tougher For Those Considered Attractive?

Its so common to see celebrities and models scrutinised for every aspect of their life, what they eat, how much weight they have lost or gained, their relationship - just because they happen to look good - there is a stigma to being attractive these days ... almost like people hate you because your reasonably good looking, it must be worse for females.

I often look at plain looking or ugly people and envy them, they can slip through life unnoticed - people feel sorry for them and let them go, but once your sort of considered half attractive all your have are jealous people around you trying to drag you down. in typical workplace being unattractive or ugly is a good thing - for example take a load of women - once a good looking woman works with them, then there is total jealousy.

Its so common to see celebrities and models scrutinised for every aspect of their life, what they eat, how much weight they have lost or gained, their relationship - just because they happen to look good - there is a stigma to being attractive these days ... almost like people hate you because your reasonably good looking, it must be worse for females.

I often look at plain looking or ugly people and envy them, they can slip through life unnoticed - people feel sorry for them and let them go, but once your sort of considered half attractive all your have are jealous people around you trying to drag you down. in typical workplace being unattractive or ugly is a good thing - for example take a load of women - once a good looking woman works with them, then there is total jealousy.

Yes I know I hate being picked on :rolleyes:

I've never had a problem :)

The trick is to be 'normal' up until your thirties, and then become attractive. That way you're not subject to a twisted world view whilst growing up - I've seen what happens when the beauty of youth departs and leaves the 'party people' washed up as they have no experience of dealing with the real world; imagine going from 30years where everything falls in your lap to where no one helps you unless there is a damn good reason. Unfortunately, only men tend to be able to do this (think silver fox, george clooney etc); women find it harder and harder as they age.

Hope my kids have speccy eyesight and spots until they hit mid twenties....

The trick is to be 'normal' up until your thirties, and then become attractive. That way you're not subject to a twisted world view whilst growing up - I've seen what happens when the beauty of youth departs and leaves the 'party people' washed up as they have no experience of dealing with the real world; imagine going from 30years where everything falls in your lap to where no one helps you unless there is a damn good reason. Unfortunately, only men tend to be able to do this (think silver fox, george clooney etc); women find it harder and harder as they age.

I'd agree with that. There were certain girls in my school year, that most testosterone fuelled bys lusted after. I remember seeing a few about a few years after I left school, and many had either found pies, or that their looks had simply slipped, but were trying to reclaim them, but were woefully unsuccessful in doing so. In a way, my evil side said "good" as many of these girls were often arrogant...

I think looks reflect an overall sense of well-being that you have about yourself..I often hear peers of my own age (early thirties) say how old they feel, whereas on the other hand I feel about 15..it'll be interesting to see if there will be any difference in the ageing process between those two lines of thought.

The trick is to be 'normal' up until your thirties, and then become attractive.  That way you're not subject to a twisted world view whilst growing up - I've seen what happens when the beauty of youth departs and leaves the 'party people' washed up as they have no experience of dealing with the real world; imagine going from 30years where everything falls in your lap to where no one helps you unless there is a damn good reason.  Unfortunately, only men tend to be able to do this (think silver fox, george clooney etc); women find it harder and harder as they age.

Although I make no great claims, I sort of went that way. I wouldn't say attractive, just no longer strikingly repulsive and within the normal-ish range. The "trick" is to be the classic 'gangly' type when you are younger. I agree this rarely works out for women but overall I think its just how things even up.

The benefits outweigh the costs. Attractive people earn more etc. etc.

I often look at plain looking or ugly people and envy them, they can slip through life unnoticed

Yep, those lucky ugly people. John Merrick must've been so glad he could 'slip through life unnoticed'...

Guest X-QUORK

2s7icfd.jpg

depends where you works, if you work with a bunch of anti social geeks then being unattractive can make you fit in better.

Yeah, but the attractive geeks are promoted to sales and management :)

Yeah, but the attractive geeks are promoted to sales and management :)

Yeah but attractive geeks are not always taken seriously - I mean if your thin, spotty and wear glasses, have limited social skills - then you look the part and act the part as the software developer, you fit nicely into the sterotype, you get the respect of your colleagues. - worked in lots of IT evironments and have never seen that many hot women in geeky type jobs, or for that matter geeky type subjects at uni. atttractive people are seen as being fake or vain, and not having the depth of skills.

The benefits outweigh the costs. Attractive people earn more etc. etc.

I agree with this. Sure, there might be a few (ugly?) people who treat attractive people badly but on the whole, the benefits far exceed the costs. By several orders of magnitude.

I agree with this. Sure, there might be a few (ugly?) people who treat attractive people badly but on the whole, the benefits far exceed the costs. By several orders of magnitude.

It's not the fairest example, but I believe Anna Kournikova is extremely wealthy without ever having set the world on fire with her tennis....

Yes, but women are always falling out with each other anyway. Women are genetically pre-disposed to being bitchy and falling out with one another. Being good looking is just another reason for women to hate one another.

imagine going from 30years where everything falls in your lap to where no one helps you unless there is a damn good reason. ..

... which suggests life is easier for attractive people.

The OP's post suffers from an implicit assumption that being attractive = celebrity. These two are not mutually inclusive. Rather, by making this fatal error of logic, the poster has gone some way toward reinforcing the view that brains and looks are mutually exclusive. B)

depends where you works, if you work with a bunch of anti social geeks then being unattractive can make you fit in better.

yeah, like you'd want to right?

It's not your supposed good looks that makes you unpopular. It's probably:

a ) that "I've got a bad smell under m nose" demeanor you adopt every time you see somebody you wouldn't wanna have a beer with;

b ) your vanity;

c ) a laziness brought on by always having somebody there to do them a favour.

Oh, sorry, did I upset you even more? :lol:

On the whole men tend to become more attractive with age, and women less so...if a woman tries to artificially amend her looks the prognosis becomes even worse. ;)

Life for attractive - not harder in my opinion - often easier. Life for very beautiful, maybe yes, tough, just as life can be tougher for any outlier.

As for celebs getting picked over in mags, that is the way of our horrible world now and happens if you are, for instance, Adrian Chiles as much as if you are his attractive opposite.

On the whole men tend to become more attractive with age, and women less so...if a woman tries to artificially amend her looks the prognosis becomes even worse. ;)

This is true - in the vast majority of cases cosmetic surgery, especially on women, end up makign them look worse. Men definately age better, all things being equal. I think I look far better now in my late 30's than I did at 18. I wouldn't say that about very many women though.

Guest DissipatedYouthIsValuable

I'm so hot.

*Licks self*

Guest Mrs Bradley

Being attractive was no fun in days of old, 'specially if you were a woman. Men tended to hit on you, then when you rejected them, they made you the object of their resentment.

Lord of the Manor versus the comely servant girl. Better not to stand out from the crowd. It works in other areas too. Brains...talent. God help you if you were special enough to get noticed. Just one of the ways that women have lost out, not only amongst their 'sisters' " Oo does she think she is?"mad.gif to the male " With looks like that she MUST have exploited them, so no need to respect her virtue"ph34r.gif