House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

K.O. Johnny

Theory Driving Test

Am going for my big boys motorbike licence (DAS) in a couple of weeks and I've got to sit the theory test first. I've been driving for 20 years in london and have advanced driver training, but I've still got to sit this bloody test. I don't want to fork out 20 quid on a book. Has anyone taken it, is it hard, what's it involve, any pointers, should I just brush up on my highway code.

Cheers everyone

They even publish all the answers so you can read every single one before you take the test.

Also:

http://www.google.co.uk/#hl=en&source=hp&q=dvla+theory+test+rapidshare&aq=f&aqi=&aql=&oq=&gs_rfai=&fp=62150ea750244273

Apparently you can even take it in multiple languages such as Urdu. I think its really hard to get it done in English alone, here in The Netherlands.

Am going for my big boys motorbike licence (DAS) in a couple of weeks and I've got to sit the theory test first. I've been driving for 20 years in london and have advanced driver training, but I've still got to sit this bloody test. I don't want to fork out 20 quid on a book. Has anyone taken it, is it hard, what's it involve, any pointers, should I just brush up on my highway code.

Cheers everyone

It is very easy. For the car licence anyway it is some multiple choice questions followed by a hazard perception test. Get this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2009/dp/B001AI7DCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1275153873&sr=8-1

practice a bit before hand, and if you can't pass, then you really really shouldn't be on the road.

It is very easy. For the car licence anyway it is some multiple choice questions followed by a hazard perception test. Get this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Driving-Test-Success-Tests-2009/dp/B001AI7DCY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=software&qid=1275153873&sr=8-1

practice a bit before hand, and if you can't pass, then you really really shouldn't be on the road.

You are travelling behind a long vehicle that has signalled to turn left and moved into the middle of the road. You should:

a) slow down and keep back

B) move up inside

c) call the Police and report them for careless driving

d) overtake

e) mount the pavement at the nearest bus stop

Guest absolutezero

The questions are along the lines of:

'You see a pedestrian 100 yards ahead and you are travelling at 30mph.

Should you:

A Stop drinking your gin and tonic.

B Slow down and be prepared to brake.

C Insert a banana up your anus.

D Wibble. '

Guest happy?

The questions are along the lines of:

'You see a pedestrian 100 yards ahead and you are travelling at 30mph.

Should you:

A Stop drinking your gin and tonic.

B Slow down and be prepared to brake.

C Insert a banana up your anus.

D Wibble. '

Greengrocers and fruiterers make their living from such emergency stops.

Cheers everyone

Just passed my theory test ready for my big bike. Watch out for the hazard perception test if you are an experienced road user. To pass you need to just keep pressing the button at everything. If you just press for what you consider a hazard you will fail that part of the test. Its really designed for cretins so beware.

The hazard perception bit was stupid. Stuff like clicking on driveways as a car could pull out from them. Except being a halfassed Nulab IT project only some driveways are hazards, others arent.

This was ten years ago though, probably far more stupid now. Slow down for elephants, dont rev near mosques, always yield to disabled lesbians.

Cheers everyone

An experienced driver will find it more difficult than a novice driver btw.

Ged my instructor who has a Roscpa and IoAM thing level 3 and is an ex cop can't pass this test as he percieves things differently.

The questions are easy the hazard perception is less so because things people consider to be hazards are not really hazards to anybody experienced. To boot it offers a narrow forward view of things, while a biker should never focus on any thing in particular and should scan instead.

The hazard perception bit was stupid. Stuff like clicking on driveways as a car could pull out from them. Except being a halfassed Nulab IT project only some driveways are hazards, others arent.

This was ten years ago though, probably far more stupid now. Slow down for elephants, dont rev near mosques, always yield to disabled lesbians.

Agreed, if it stopped and asked you evaluate the hazards here and why then it is fairer as it allows you to justify why you think such a thing is a hazard. Rather than the cheapo Nulabour pork barrel contract given out.

BUt then again I have always considered this thing to be a tax.

Cheers everyone

Note you'll ferk up on mod 1 and 2 of the test more than anything, they do this 31mph brake test which a lot of people fall off on and the swerve test which I reckon is dangerous.

The original test was fine, where you were followed by another bike these idiotic EU laws introduced which put these new off road test centres are rubbish.

Thanks for the heads up people.

The hazard test sounds like a pain in the @rse, basically click on everything.

I hope the questions are as dopey as people parody them

Thanks everyone

I passed the bike theory and hazard perception in 2006. Beware on the hazard perception if you get a bit trigger happy and click on everything on the screen it will mark you down. As a numb nuts who took the test at the same time as me found out.

You can buy very good software for the hazard perception test, to practise on. damn near the same thing.

don't double click or have a repeat pattern of clicks.

click when you see a hazard, click again if it becomes a developing hazard and so on.

I failed the Hazard perception test for throwing everyone who came into shot the w-anker sign... Being on the mobile probably did not help either... Good day out though... Met some great people.

Cheers everyone

I did this many years ago, was a longish term driver (8 years or so at the time I think) but was told I needed to take the theory test before I could get my full bike license. I didn't bother with any revision and just turned up and of course failed.

On the whole it is not difficult, but there are clearly some questions in there that are very much open to interpretation or looking for a set answer where as an experienced driver you might do something different. I think that the time you needed to get 27 out of 30 and I got 26. Most are obvious and easy but not as blatant as some people make out they are, having said that I was 12 years ago I did the test so it might well have changed.

As it turned out I didn't have to do the test so the fact I failed didn't matter.

You can take some sample tests here....

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_4017669

I just did one, got 48 out of 50. The two I got wrong were one about a level crossing asking what the first thing in a sequence would be, personally I'd just stop until nothing was flashing, and the other was about the maximum speed of a car with a trailer, I don't have a trailer so I couldn't give a shit, if I got one I'd look it up.