House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
gruffydd

Comments Please - Daily Telegraph Anti Cgt Campaign

Wonder whether they're selectively editing the comments so that the vast majority show support for the anti CGT hike campaign - if your excellent comment doesn't make it on, contact them and threaten to tell the Guardian about your suspicions. I always do that through the 'complain about comments' e-mail address - it usually works.

Edited by gruffydd

Guest The Relaxation Suite

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/capital-gains-tax/7773125/Capital-Gains-Tax-campaign.html

The second home owners and btl scubags are out in force - I think they need some balance on there - please add your comments.

I tried to wite into Heffer's "politics of fear" rant against returning CGT to the long-established 40%, but it keeps telling me the page cannot be found. Heffer promotes the politics of greed. His generation has the houses and the younger generation must rent off him. He is supposed to be a well-read man, so I presume he skipped the chapter on the French Revolution.

The BTL "second property" types are out in force! I never knew there were so many people hell-bent on profiting from homes.....

Wouldn't surprise me to learn that landlords associations and other big VIs were directing comments to the site - that's very likely - counter attack time methinks!

I intended to add a comment but had to leave the Telegraph site because I was retching from the first post I scanned. A 'hard working solicitor' whining about his philanthropy providing 'at a loss' a home for some ungrateful beggar. His only hope was a capital gain to pay for private education for his children. (God forbid they may otherwise have to mix with the sort of scum he is renting to). I am beginning to appreciate how revolutions start.

I intended to add a comment but had to leave the Telegraph site because I was retching from the first post I scanned. A 'hard working solicitor' whining about his philanthropy providing 'at a loss' a home for some ungrateful beggar. His only hope was a capital gain to pay for private education for his children. (God forbid they may otherwise have to mix with the sort of scum he is renting to). I am beginning to appreciate how revolutions start.

Me too. I was always quite mild-mannered and conservative in most matters, but watching the older generation try and kill and eat their own children with property policy changed my view of the world.

I am a hard-up 68 year old widow from a poor working class background, I have always paid my taxes and never claimed anything I shouldn't have. I have invested my benifits wisely over many years and because I started early I now have 57 'buy to let' houses :blink:. I have been careful all my life so wht should I have to pay CGT, it's just not fair.

Surely a joke?!? Right? :unsure:

Edited by Home_To_Roost

Oh dear, I am coming over all queer now..............................wurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrp

Me too. I was always quite mild-mannered and conservative in most matters, but watching the older generation try and kill and eat their own children with property policy changed my view of the world.

FORGET THE GENERATION CRAP

The property boom and bust cycle is as ancient as the economy itself. It has nothing to do with this or that age group* but everything to do with human greed that governments are supposed to temper for the common good. Brown failed in this miserably.

Property "entrepreneurs" come in all ages--quite a few in their 30's.

Been posting -as Anna- lost my temper a few times today already. We need a revolution! Need to go out for a walk now.. Those DT readers are far more odious than the DM readers. Only the Inde left for me now.

GOD KNOWS what I am going to do if DC backs down from this. I don't think i will be able to bear it.

Has anyone started a petition on the downing st website yet?

We need a voice. March anyone?? Or we all too 'embarrassed' because we aren't rich and successful and somehow feel we haven't tried hard enough?

Edit- posted on the Simon Heffer thread http://www.telegraph.co.uk/comment/columnists/simonheffer/7779988/Capital-gains-tax-and-the-politics-of-envy.html

Edited by runforthehills

FORGET THE GENERATION CRAP

The property boom and bust cycle is as ancient as the economy itself. It has nothing to do with this or that age group* but everything to do with human greed that governments are supposed to temper for the common good. Brown failed in this miserably.

Property "entrepreneurs" come in all ages--quite a few in their 30's.

Yes there are a few in their 30s, but the age of the average FTB is now 37. This is a massive generational problem now, like it or not. How many 50+ own houses? How many under 40 own houses?

We know the score.

Edited by Tecumseh

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/capital-gains-tax/7773125/Capital-Gains-Tax-campaign.html

The second home owners and btl scubags are out in force - I think they need some balance on there - please add your comments.

There seem to be a lot of confused people commenting.

CGT is not a tax on the rent so for an old lady looking to really rent out as a pension whats the issue? At the end of the day rental yields should improve as the prices come down making it more attractive.

Also if you you can just leverage up the capital increase rather than sell the asset.

It really hammers those who bought to flip which is the real explanation for the outrage ie none of these folks really want to rent out for profit.

I do think they should add in a RPI relief just to be more fair (say after 5 years of ownership) but the end of the day as others have mentioned this is a war against debt so there are going to be casualties with houses showing up as the lowest hanging fruit.

can't understand all the fuss myself. CGT is paid on realised gains not theoretical ones. BTLs and others were allegedly 'in it for 'the long term', in which case you keep your property and its rentals till you die and never pay CGT. Or why not just keep it till the next labour govt!!?

The panic about this suggests to me that there are a lot of people out there who want to sell...

Well we can solve all their problems with a big HPC - no gains = no taxes. Everyone happy, right? Simples.

Just posted a correction on what I posted to the Fool:

Come off it!

CGT is a tax paid only by the *very* rich[1], and it explicitly excludes what they've worked for. I have a six-figure equity portfolio with capital gains that have comfortably outperformed the FTSE, and no fear whatsoever of a CGT rise. On the other hand, I consider it outrageous that the government takes a marginal rate of more than half my hard-earned to (among other things) subsidise people far richer than I'll ever be, by substantially propping up house prices.

Redwood is being disingenuous. He's trying to equate spivs and speculators with genuine entrepreneurs. And it seems he has support from a bunch of overprivileged journalists.

As for taper/indexation relief, I'll accept that argument when it's applied consistently - to cash savings.

[1] You don't have to be a high earner to get rich - c.f. the classic spiv. Just as you can get stung for higher-rate income tax while still being amongst the poorest 30% of UK adults who are priced out of owning a home.