House Price Crash Forum

Been pushed back to Tuesday now I believe. These index is completly pointless however as only covers 10% of the market and heavily biased towards the south east.

I thought the Nationwide figures were due out this week. Can someone tell me if I have missed them please?

Should have been Friday. So will probably be Tuesday now. Could it be that a negative figure it discourage buyers on one of the busiest buying weekends of the year?

Saying that they give an exact date for release it's always a range so theres probably nothing in it.

Been pushed back to Tuesday now I believe. These index is completly pointless however as only covers 10% of the market and heavily biased towards the south east.

Only 10% of the market? I thought it was far higher than that, although I realise they don't cover repos etc. Why heavily biased towards the South East? I agree that the index is meaningless in terms of accuracy in these terms, but the general public (and, more importantly, the media) will jump on them if they are rising, and IMO sentiment plays a huge part in influencing the speed (or otherwise) of any HPC.

Only 10% of the market? I thought it was far higher than that, although I realise they don't cover repos etc. Why heavily biased towards the South East? I agree that the index is meaningless in terms of accuracy in these terms, but the general public (and, more importantly, the media) will jump on them if they are rising, and IMO sentiment plays a huge part in influencing the speed (or otherwise) of any HPC.

The nationalised banks are the biggest lenders now, so Nationwide market share has fallen alot. As you say the press take these fiqures as gospel and never mention the land reg, which won't be good.

Oh god, I read their anual figures and the mortgage numbers are dire, they basically lent bugger all, the numbers are really unreliable due to them having such a small share of a barebones mortgage sector.

Also, apparently nationwide are more southern, whilst Halifax are more up north.

The nationalised banks are the biggest lenders now, so Nationwide market share has fallen alot. As you say the press take these fiqures as gospel and never mention the land reg, which won't be good.

Plus Nationwide are picky about who they lend to, only lending to good quality buyers who have big deposits... and who tend to buy bigger more expensive houses.

Nationwide reported this week that their morgage market share had fallen to 9%.

That's about 5% of total sales.