House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Pent Up

Homes For Sale Rise As Hips Are Scrapped - The

Estate agents say the end of home information packs is seeing property registrations rocket

Estate agents are reporting a surge of properties being put up for sale in the week following the scrapping of home information packs (Hips).

The government announced that it was abolishing Hips with immediate effect on 20 May,and Countrywide, the UK's biggest estate agency and property services group, has reported a 34% increase in new property registrations in England and Wales in the subsequent seven days.

It adds that registrations have risen by 68% compared to the same week last year, to levels not seen since September 2007 – the month that Hips were extended to cover the sale of three-bedroom properties.

It seems the evidence for HPC is building day by day now!

To be honest though in my observations stock has been increasing at relatively the same rate for about two months. Saying that it is a quite a vast increase i'm seeing. But seemingly no HIPS/CGT effects yet.

Edited by Pent Up FTBer

Estate agents say the end of home information packs is seeing property registrations rocket

It seems the evidence for HPC is building day by day now!

To be honest though in my observations stock has been increasing at relatively the same rate for about two months. Saying that it is a quite a vast increase i'm seeing. But seemingly no HIPS/CGT effects yet.

Maybe we're seeing a return to speculative marketing where vendors are simply 'trying it on' at high asking prices that they wouldn't have bothered doing before when they'd have to pay for a HIP.

I have to say, if I was looking to sell, this would be the ideal window - the indeces still look good (prices rising, whatever we may argue to the contrary) and many folk will be looking to tie up deals before Summer hols/new school term.

Maybe we're seeing a return to speculative marketing where vendors are simply 'trying it on' at high asking prices that they wouldn't have bothered doing before when they'd have to pay for a HIP.

I have to say, if I was looking to sell, this would be the ideal window - the indeces still look good (prices rising, whatever we may argue to the contrary) and many folk will be looking to tie up deals before Summer hols/new school term.

I think the window is closed, not enough buyers about now. Too much supply already but you vould be right, lots of people just trying it on.

Nah, still worth a punt, 2007 price plus 20%, someone with cash just might fall in love with the place. My bet is that next month the asking price indices will show a 3% monthly rise since hips scrapped. Start of the next leg up, house market soaring .... only downside is nothing is actually selling....

Could see the rightmove asking price index rise but I can't imagine the sales price indicies being even flat!

Nah, still worth a punt, 2007 price plus 20%, someone with cash just might fall in love with the place. My bet is that next month the asking price indices will show a 3% monthly rise since hips scrapped. Start of the next leg up, house market soaring .... only downside is nothing is actually selling....

Yep - people will certainly up the asking prices because...they can.

Just like the old days.

Stick it on the market for the hell of it at a silly price in case some idiot comes along with mummy & daddy's deposit money to 'snap it up'.

Only when forced sellers return to the market (higher IRs/SVR mortgage rates) will we see a reflection of true property prices; it's all a bit twisted at the mo with such low transaction levels.

My place went on the market last week and had virtually no response, despite the usual bull-crap from the agents about how busy they are.

One viewer claimed to be a spiritual medium and told me there was a ghost - ffs. Another wanted to know where she could keep her wine cool - er - in the flucking fridge!!

I was hoping to catch the last wave of sales before the next leg down, but it’s already happening imho, and the only people sniffing around are nosey nutters.

Unless ALL EAs are deluded, why would they agree to market a house at an unrealistic price?

No sales just means more overheads and no income. There are already house around here that have been for sale for 12 months at the same price, let alone the ones that chuck a bit of paint about and put their prices up in March. :blink:

Unless ALL EAs are deluded, why would they agree to market a house at an unrealistic price?

No sales just means more overheads and no income. There are already house around here that have been for sale for 12 months at the same price, let alone the ones that chuck a bit of paint about and put their prices up in March. :blink:

I agree isnt it the agent who values the property. I suppose the vendor can say no I want more but why would the agent waste his time taking photos etc if it is not going to sell?

One viewer claimed to be a spiritual medium and told me there was a ghost - ffs. Another wanted to know where she could keep her wine cool - er - in the flucking fridge!!

If you're serious about wine (or indeed beer), you want a cellar. Fridge is for chilling white wine for an hour before drinking; cellar is for storing longer-term.

My neighbours have just put their house for sale to 'test the market'.

If it sells for what they want it'll break the street ceiling price by 20% from 2007.

£110k over-priced.

Edited by pie-eater

I agree isnt it the agent who values the property. I suppose the vendor can say no I want more but why would the agent waste his time taking photos etc if it is not going to sell?

Because that agent wants the business when the same person starts begging to get out of the market without losing too much money? It`s the only explanation I can think of, THE AGENTS KNOW WHATS COMING, THEY KNOW THEIR VOLUMES ARE GOING TO SKYROCKET?

My neighbours have just put their house for sale to 'test the market'.

If it sells for what they want it'll break the street ceiling price by 20% from 2007.

£110k over-priced.

Interesting. Please keep us up to date on how they get on?

My place went on the market last week and had virtually no response, despite the usual bull-crap from the agents about how busy they are.

I was hoping to catch the last wave of sales before the next leg down, but it’s already happening imho, and the only people sniffing around are nosey nutters.

Could you tell us where in the country this is? ta