House Price Crash Forum
Alfie Moon

Daily Mail Cgt 'rebellion' Article Needs Hpc'ers Readers Comments Added To It

See the following Daily Mail article about the growing rebellion against the rise in CGT for BTL and 2nd home properties:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1282360/The-growing-CGT-rebellion-Fear-tax-grab-sparks-mass-sale-homes-shares.html

It would be good to see as many HPC'ers adding Readers Comments to this article as possible.

The VI's are certainly stirring up a storm of protest (as usual a small minority of VI's are getting heard - and I suspect will get a climb down on the CGT rise). I agree with many others here that there should be as much loud and visible support for the rise in CGT as possible - there really ought to be a Facebook Group set up, a petition started, letters written to 'Letters To The Editor' pages of Newspapers, letters to MP's, the PM's Office, George Osbourne, Vince Cable, etc., etc. I would also suggest adding Readers Comments to web based newspaper articles will help support for the CGT visible.

Personally I am very much for the rise in CGT (with no taper relief) for BTL & 2nd home properties but not for shares (i.e. the unproductive Vs productive areas of the economy argument), as are many other HPC'ers, I think, from what I have read on HPC. This distinction should probably be made in any moves to show support for the CGT rise - i.e. suggesting that any compromise or climb down by the Government should be to water down (or even remove) the CGT rise that will adversley effect investment in productive areas of the economy whilst keeping the full rise in CGT for BTL and 2nd home properties.

I would also suggest that any moves to show support the rise in CGT needs to make the point that the population that own BTL/2nd home properties is small whilst the population that are being adversley effected by BTL/2nd homes is very, very large.

I have also posted the above on the Home Buyers' Strike Facebook Group (see my sig).

Would be good if the Priced Out people acted on this as well - if they agree of course.

Just added my comment (broadly based on the sentiments in your post), but it seems that comments are now being moderated before being uploaded - in the past I have commented on DM articles with the comment appearing immediately.

Just added my comment (broadly based on the sentiments in your post), but it seems that comments are now being moderated before being uploaded - in the past I have commented on DM articles with the comment appearing immediately.

Yes, sometimes they don't start putting up submitted comments until about 10.00am. Also, sometimes the first hour or so can see comments being moderated and then they sometimes change it to 'Please note that comments are not being moderated'. Hopefully later on this morning they will post any comments submitted at the moment and will then change it to 'open house' as it were with the submission of comments.

If I submit a comment at this time of morning I usually make a copy of it so that I can resubmit it later on if need be.

I would also suggest that any moves to show support the rise in CGT needs to make the point that the population that own BTL/2nd home properties is small whilst the population that are being adversley effected by BTL/2nd homes is very, very large.

"Good for majority, good for country" or "lesser evil" argument?

Fact is our debt is £46K per UK resident, it has to be paid or defaulted. If we decide to pay, then non-business assets are easy target.

If you don't have the time to upload a comment, at least go through and "Recommend" all the HPC-related ones (click the green "UP" arrow,) or click the red "DOWN" arrow for all the whining greedy boomer b@st@rd ones.

Whoever has been doing that has got the "Most Recommended" comments ALL in favour of CGT and an HPC. Just added my notes of approval and disapproval, and if we all do it then it will get very interesting.

It's very telling when people go to the site and see the Most Recommended comments all in one direction - let's make sure it's OUR direction.

DEAD, DEAD EASY - NO REGISTRATION or MODERATION required, and only takes a few minutes to promote / demote all the comments you want.

AND we can upload dozens of votes, in the same time that it takes one whining BTL-er to type in some lies about being disabled, and "my pension being ruined..."

B

Edited by buzzardo

Daily Telegraph are squealing too- i just added this

The government should be encouraging us to invest in business and jobs by not raising CGT on profits on shares. This has always been a strong Conservative value and it makes total sense.

However, how can high house prices caused by speculation be healthy for a country? Raising CGT to income levels on house price profits would bring several benefits(not forgetting that 18% has only been in since 2008 anyway). It would create tax revenue,stamp duty and business as the 2nd home owners off-load their hopelessly over-valued properties. It would bring house prices down for young families, reducing private debt, giving people more money to spend on goods, business. Profits gained from housing ONLY BENEFITS the seller. It does not create jobs, it is paid for by the young, it sucks money OUT of the economy as we have to save and borrow unprecedented high HP ratio to wages housing money. Also, it is the person BUYING the property that has paid tax on the seller's profit, as they have to pay the house price inflation, caused by speculation. So the money gets double taxed, but not the 2nd home owner.

Please can someone explain how profits on housing is in any way entrepreneurial?

One more question- If you had to buy your own house again today, on your current wages (without your BTL/shares/interest income) or on today's wages for your job (if you are retired) could you do it? Now do the same with your first starter flat/house that you bought. Now factor in that the housing ladder has disappeared, higher interest rates are coming and negative equity looms. It may help you understand what it is like to be under 40 in this country and trying to raise a family.

I am very interested to hear people's views on this.

Daily Telegraph are squealing too- i just added this

The government should be encouraging us to invest in business and jobs by not raising CGT on profits on shares. This has always been a strong Conservative value and it makes total sense.

However, how can high house prices caused by speculation be healthy for a country? Raising CGT to income levels on house price profits would bring several benefits(not forgetting that 18% has only been in since 2008 anyway). It would create tax revenue,stamp duty and business as the 2nd home owners off-load their hopelessly over-valued properties. It would bring house prices down for young families, reducing private debt, giving people more money to spend on goods, business. Profits gained from housing ONLY BENEFITS the seller. It does not create jobs, it is paid for by the young, it sucks money OUT of the economy as we have to save and borrow unprecedented high HP ratio to wages housing money. Also, it is the person BUYING the property that has paid tax on the seller's profit, as they have to pay the house price inflation, caused by speculation. So the money gets double taxed, but not the 2nd home owner.

Please can someone explain how profits on housing is in any way entrepreneurial?

One more question- If you had to buy your own house again today, on your current wages (without your BTL/shares/interest income) or on today's wages for your job (if you are retired) could you do it? Now do the same with your first starter flat/house that you bought. Now factor in that the housing ladder has disappeared, higher interest rates are coming and negative equity looms. It may help you understand what it is like to be under 40 in this country and trying to raise a family.

I am very interested to hear people's views on this.

Can you post a link to the comments page on this?

I, for one, will be straight on to "Recommend" it, and if the 239 people currently reading this forum all do the same, then we can get this comment top and keep it there ;)

Someone with a good idea needs a boost...

YES.JPG

And someone needs at least 35 red slaps!!

NOOO.JPG

Doesn't take long. Let's keep the pressure up... :)

B

P.S. I just went through and added my two cents, to the last 15 minutes-worth of comments. Are all you folks over there as well?

It's looking very pro-CGT / HPC at the moment! Maybe middle England is still spluttering into its cornflakes, or walking the Labrador down to the shops to pick up the papers, donchaknow....

post-13228-12751211826219_thumb.jpg

post-13228-12751212136408_thumb.jpg

AND we can upload dozens of votes, in the same time that it takes one whining BTL-er to type in some lies about being disabled, and "my pension being ruined..."

B

I had to reply to that one, not been published yet but here it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liz from West Midlands what on earth are you talking about.

"I thought I was being responsible and prudent as the properties would give me an income to supplement my pension and provide for long term (expensive) care if needed"

There is no change to the taxation of the income you receive as rent? This is capital gains tax so you will be taxed on the profit made on the purchase of the houses which presumably is irrelevant to you and many other BTL investors who are aiming on using the income for their retirement.

If it turns out you actually are just a speculator in a one side investment market supported by billions of taxpayers money pledged by Labour (that has so far protected speculators gains from the fall required to correct the bubble we are still in) then you will pay a fair price back to the taxpayer for this support.

If house price are allowed to correct from this bubble then it is likely you will not need to worry about capital gains.

Added a comment (awaiting moderation) and clicked the green and red arrows on all the comments already there :)

Noice :)

When you get yours published, are you OK to let us know which one it is (without breaking cover!) so we can all pile in and give it the "Green Tick of HPC Approval"?

B

I had to reply to that one, not been published yet but here it is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Liz from West Midlands what on earth are you talking about.

"I thought I was being responsible and prudent as the properties would give me an income to supplement my pension and provide for long term (expensive) care if needed"

There is no change to the taxation of the income you receive as rent? This is capital gains tax so you will be taxed on the profit made on the purchase of the houses which presumably is irrelevant to you and many other BTL investors who are aiming on using the income for their retirement.

If it turns out you actually are just a speculator in a one side investment market supported by billions of taxpayers money pledged by Labour (that has so far protected speculators gains from the fall required to correct the bubble we are still in) then you will pay a fair price back to the taxpayer for this support.

If house price are allowed to correct from this bubble then it is likely you will not need to worry about capital gains.

Nice reply Confounded - I like your logic there, and it does rather make them look like a bunch of lying dysfunctional tw@ts :lol:

It's funny how all this whining is pulling on the "expensive long term care / long term disability / my guide dog left me bereft" bulls**t heartstrings, isn't it?

No mention of long cruises on their fat wobbly white arses, ogling some lithe tanned cabin-boy, or playing endless rounds of mindless golf, sporting loud Dorky Pants in the Algarve.

I bet these are the same type of people, who were in double-glazing sales and lied about their wife needing urgent surgery to live, just to make you sign for that really expensive conservatory.

Squeal, you loathesome wa*kers.

B

In terms of a 'Pro CGT Rise for BTL & 2nd Home Properties' petition to be sent to Parliament, the PM, George Osbourne, etc. - instead of just the traditional signatures type petition perhaps there could also be a collection of Readers Comments that have been added to Newspaper, Discussion Forum, etc. websites to help communicate the reasons why people want to see the CGT rise go ahead, for BTL investment to be disincentivised (whilst the Gov shd act to incentivise investment in productive areas of the economy) as well as communicate the depth of feeling and anger millions of people have about BTL (and stupidly high house prices).

Guest KingCharles1st

I like this a lot

1- Gets CASHFLOW happening- CASHFLOW keeps business' alive

2- Gets tax revenue back UP- good stuff- fu-ck off and die Gordon you useless halfwitted cu-nt

3- Sends a very strong message to lots of rich asset rich rich *****ers that there is another way of life- its called WORK

I thank you :D

If you don't have the time to upload a comment, at least go through and "Recommend" all the HPC-related ones (click the green "UP" arrow,) or click the red "DOWN" arrow for all the whining greedy boomer b@st@rd ones.

Whoever has been doing that has got the "Most Recommended" comments ALL in favour of CGT and an HPC. Just added my notes of approval and disapproval, and if we all do it then it will get very interesting.

It's very telling when people go to the site and see the Most Recommended comments all in one direction - let's make sure it's OUR direction.

DEAD, DEAD EASY - NO REGISTRATION or MODERATION required, and only takes a few minutes to promote / demote all the comments you want.

B

It is easy, I have just been and gone and done it. The internet can sway opinion you know.

Regarding the Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/capital-gains-tax/7778729/Capital-Gains-Tax-Britain-would-have-highest-rate-in-western-world.html) ... it's fairly obvious that a lot of people are bleating like mad ... to protect their portfolios!

Edited by Home_To_Roost

Regarding the Telegraph article (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/personalfinance/capital-gains-tax/7778729/Capital-Gains-Tax-Britain-would-have-highest-rate-in-western-world.html) ... it's fairly obvious that a lot of people are bleating like mad ... to protect their portfolios!

Yes, I am beginning to lose the plot now with all these spoilt fecckers. Made 3 comments there in an hour and even facebook linked to it. I think I am beginning to realise just how deep and corrupt this system is, and am not afraid to rant to as many young people as i can. I have a few rich friends, and am not bothered about offending them now either. This whole thing stinks to high heaven!!!

Just checked out the best and worst rated comments.

Increasing CGT is winning hands down. The most highly rated has 724 votes, way more than any influence from here can account for. Well I must say I never thought I would see the day that a Daily Mail article campaigning against a tax would get a thumbs down.

Just checked out the best and worst rated comments.

Increasing CGT is winning hands down. The most highly rated has 724 votes, way more than any influence from here can account for. Well I must say I never thought I would see the day that a Daily Mail article campaigning against a tax would get a thumbs down.

Indeed - looking good. We may have to turn our attention to the Telegraph next...

Whilst you're right that all 724 can't have come from HPC, I'll bet many have come through other fora like PricedOut, that this thread is now getting linked to.

Also, don't underestimate the power of someone going on there cold, looking at the "Most Recommended" ones which stick out at the top, and thinking "yup, I agree with that..." and voting themselves. Something that would never happen if the pro-CGT comments were stuck in oblivion in the middle.

I'm going to give it a couple more hours for this to foment nicely, and then send the link to my MP (Jeremy Hunt, in the Cabinet donchaknow!!)

Might I suggest everyone else here does the same? One letter from you / me is just one letter - 724 (many more soon,) ticking the approval arrow for a pro-CGT comment, is a hell of a lot bigger statement of public opinion for them to think about.

To the barricades, mes braves!! :lol:

B

Indeed - looking good. We may have to turn our attention to the Telegraph next...

Whilst you're right that all 724 can't have come from HPC, I'll bet many have come through other fora like PricedOut, that this thread is now getting linked to.

Also, don't underestimate the power of someone going on there cold, looking at the "Most

To the barricades, mes braves!! :lol:

B

Haha...its not barricades now..the rich bankers et al are feeling threatened, and the silent majority are being heard and storming their defences......... :)

Edited by tiggerthetiger