House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Chest Rockwell

Anyone Notice The Return Of The Rag 'n' Bone Men?

Everyday, a couple of gents drive round the area screaming "any old iron"...I think...****** knows what they're shouting but the pick-up trucks are full of scrap stuff like washing machines etc. I'm not talking about the same people either, it's a different crew most days! Some have a bugle of sorts that they blow. They must have picked this area dry by now?

Anyone else had them in their area? I haven't seen them since the late 80s...now suddenly they're back again!

Today, I noticed that the Police are pulling them over! On my drive back from town I noted a cop 'trap' that had a few of them pulled over with what looked to be VOSA peeps checking over their Ford pick-ups!

Everyday, a couple of gents drive round the area screaming "any old iron"...I think...****** knows what they're shouting but the pick-up trucks are full of scrap stuff like washing machines etc. I'm not talking about the same people either, it's a different crew most days! Some have a bugle of sorts that they blow. They must have picked this area dry by now?

Anyone else had them in their area? I haven't seen them since the late 80s...now suddenly they're back again!

Today, I noticed that the Police are pulling them over! On my drive back from town I noted a cop 'trap' that had a few of them pulled over with what looked to be VOSA peeps checking over their Ford pick-ups!

I have noticed them around, they tend to turn up the night before bin night and the day after.

As you say, haven't seen it since the eighties - when I were a lad, I hasten to add. That rhymes!

A few posters on here have noted the return of Steptoe. Back to the 70's...

Packet of Woodbines and a Snickers please...

A few posters on here have noted the return of Steptoe. Back to the 70's...

Packet of Woodbines and a Snickers please...

That'll be a 'Marathon', not a 'Snickers'! :)

...helps you work, rest and play! LOL!

2010 version:

'A Mars a day helps you look for work, rest and pray!'

Also

'Go looking for work on an egg!'

Mars were a lot bigger then...

Probably due to its odd orbit. Boom boom!

Of course there were also Spangles, cigarette sweets, Bar Six, Fab lollies, Lucky Bags, Zoom lollies, white mice, the list goes on and on.

My personal fave was the Drifter bar, which is technically the 70s as it came out in 1980 (cue comments common during the turn of the millennium about there being no year zero etc. etc.).

Space Dust

Of course there were also Spangles, cigarette sweets, Bar Six, Fab lollies, Lucky Bags, Zoom lollies, white mice, the list goes on and on.

My personal fave was the Drifter bar, which is technically the 70s as it came out in 1980 (cue comments common during the turn of the millennium about there being no year zero etc. etc.).

Space Dust

Ah Zoom lollies and white (and pink) mice, lovely memories. And the Screwball: ice cream and a gobstopper at the bottom.

Chocolate bars have always left me unimpressed. I don't know why people get excited about the minor shades of difference between various recombinations of chocolate / wafer / caramel / nougat; they all taste the same to me. Over-sweet, sticky and cloying.

Now you mention it I've noticed that too; round here the chap blows a trumpet to announce his arrival.

Now you mention it I've noticed that too; round here the chap blows a trumpet to announce his arrival.

Heard one yesterday or the day before and I've had several wanting to buy the derelict Merc on my drive - it is getting restored at some point!

We get a different load round here almost every day. It's been happening for at least 2 years. F*****g tatters. They're looking for thieving opportunities as well, especially the ones who cruise up and down in their pick-ups as quietly as they can.

I'd rather take my old stuff to the council tip and burn fuel than give them a single ounce of metal. Hate them. Can you tell? :angry:

Space Dust

I don't know but I don't think there are the equivalents these days (when I were a young lad!!!).

Do you remember snooker balls? I remember the near asphyxiation as you first put it in your mouth but the pleasure as you broke a hole in it.

Space Dust was great.

Ah, the naivety of Lucky Bags, bit of a misnomer, more like $hit bags if we were to be honest.

Edit: Put to but

Ditto.

Last week, I actually made use of one of these fellows -- I got rid of an old rotary clothes drier and a rusty barbecue that had been sitting in a corner of our garden since we moved in a couple of years ago. Handy.

We have had skip rats raiding the skips on the industrial estate at work for the last couple of years. Not seen a rag n bone man in a domestic setting since the late 80's / early 90's.

Ditto.

Last week, I actually made use of one of these fellows -- I got rid of an old rotary clothes drier and a rusty barbecue that had been sitting in a corner of our garden since we moved in a couple of years ago. Handy.

You're just encouraging them. You may end up with families off them up and down your street almost every day. In my experience, they usually come from areas where no-on has road tax or insurance, or from illegal 'sites' where no-one pays for water or any council tax.

I feel that if I give them anything at all, I would be subsidising / encouraging their lifestyle. I'd rather cut stuff up small and put in the rubbish or take it to the tip myself on principle.

I have had a similar experience recently in South Birmingham with the same call and bugle accompaniment. They were infrequent visitors (maybe twice a year) until the last couple of years when their visits have been more frequent.

As a young boy growing up in Nottingham in the 1960s the rag and bone man was still a regular, but the late 70s-early 90s I can't recall there being so many. I think there was a metal shortage a few years ago that gave a new lease of life to the business.

Yes. Mainly Eastern European skip scavengers, although they will 'take' anything else that they see. They dont give a sixpence or a baloon but do leave a mess.

Anyone remember the corona man?....cream soda with a slice from a block of Lyons Maid cornish dairy ice cream. :)

You could collect the empty bottles and claim the deposits back on them to buy sweets with.

The rag and bone man used to slowly drive down the road ringing his bell.....there was also the coal man, used to buy the coal to fill the coal-bunker....no central heating or double glazing in those days. ;)