House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
the_other_guy

France Cheap ?

Expect to pay 150000 Euros for a 50 sm 1 bedroom flat in Ferney-Voltaire (where i live near Geneva).

All right there is a vue on the Mont-Blanc on a clear day.

I remember when this money would buy a decent small house in the area - about 5 years ago - And it was expensive at the time... :D

Ferney

150,000 Euros is only £102,233 ;p sounds quite cheap when you compare it to some london new builds, and comparable to one bedroom flats in the midlands.

expect to pay £400,000 for a new 1 bedroom apartment in london (similar size, only 4sq meters bigger) but at almost 6 times the price... 586,841 Euros!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-271...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

1 bedroom flats in worcester near birmingham in the midlands are about £90,000-> £100,000, new builds are about £140,000k. Of course, properties in france and the uk are overvalued.

Edited by moosetea

150,000 Euros is only £102,233 ;p sounds quite cheap when you compare it to some london new builds, and comparable to one bedroom flats in the midlands.

expect to pay £400,000 for a new 1 bedroom apartment in london (similar size, only 4sq meters bigger) but at almost 6 times the price... 586,841 Euros!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/viewdetails-271...pa_n=1&tr_t=buy

1 bedroom flats in worcester near birmingham in the midlands are about £90,000-> £100,000, new builds are about £140,000k

Thats insane! why would anyone who could afford £400k get a 1 bed appartment????

Thats insane! why would anyone who could afford £400k get a 1 bed appartment????

Man, France is cheap... :huh:

>£400,000 for a new 1 bedroom apartment in london ...

France IS cheap... :huh: I can't believe it. Now, this is London after all, Ferney (10000 unhabitants) hardly compete with London in all aspects...Still about 2 times Paris prices I guess.

I am sure it's possible to find something bigger for that price in parts of the UK..

> A decent sized beer (50cl or 10% less than a pint), is typically 6 or 8 Euros!! (and its crap, usually Kro).

I agree. Same can be said the other way on wine.

True, but only in bars, its cheaper than the UK in supermarkets. And as a result they dont have drunken violence outside pubs, puddles of vomit on the street on Sunday mornings, etc.

My brother-in-law has just done a selfbuild, 3 bed house on a sq.km, €70,000, mind you that is in a very rural area in the Loire valley. Paris and Toulouse and the Swiss border areas of France are expensive but other areas are quite affordable. However dont tell your friends or it will be full of MC English tw@ts pushing up prices there as well.

> And as a result they dont have drunken violence outside pubs, puddles of vomit on the street on Sunday mornings, etc.

Road rage instead, I know what I would choose. Authorities recently put speed cameras that were supposed to calm it down - But some people keep shooting them at night.... No wonder why Canadairs kept crashing down this summer over France :o

> And as a result they dont have drunken violence outside pubs, puddles of vomit on the street on Sunday mornings, etc.

Road rage instead, I know what I would  choose.  Authorities recently put speed cameras that were supposed to calm it down - But some people keep shooting them at night.... No wonder why Canadairs kept crashing down this summer over France  :o

And drink driving, I had a conversation with someone recently who couldnt believe that you would be banned for at least 1 year, fined and possibly jailed for drink driving in the UK. This was after they were caught and was moaning about a 3 month ban and no fine.

I must have gone to a different France last week.

Amstel or Kronenbourg was 4.50 Euros for half a litre. Have to say I thougth that was expensive but then I don't drink much.

In a proper French bar in a little village in the middle of nowhere a demi of Kronenbourg was 2 Euro. Maybe its 6 to 8 Euros in the cities?

The driving in Paris is interesting to say the least.

But having done the 5 hour trek from Caen down to the Atlantic resorts a number of times I always note how little traffic there is, how few people exceed the speed limit and how rare it is to see agressive driving.

When I drove out of Portsmouth a few days ago and then, a few miles later, turned on to the M27 - it only took me 30 seconds before I turned to my wife and said 'Funny how quickly you forget what a madhouse this place is'. 11 o'clock at night - all three lanes full - nutcase swerving from inside lane to outside lane and back flashing all and sundry to get out of his way.

But having done the 5 hour trek from Caen down to the Atlantic resorts a number of times I always note how little traffic there is, how few people exceed the speed limit and how rare it is to see agressive driving.

When I drove out of Portsmouth a few days ago and then, a few miles later, turned on to the M27 - it only took me 30 seconds before I turned to my wife and said 'Funny how quickly you forget what a madhouse this place is'. 11 o'clock at night - all three lanes full - nutcase swerving from inside lane to outside lane and back flashing all and sundry to get out of his way.

That may be so but the French have a road traffic fatality rate per head of population in the order of 3x the UK.

True, I was looking for a link but couldnt find one.

French driving is a complete shame. Basically people are dying and no-one cares.

It brings back some Uni years where the coolest thing to do was to destroy a car on a drunk and driving Saturday night.

Masais used to kill lions to prove their toughness around their heighties-french proudly keep up the tradition to drink and drive and smash themselves up.

Uk, the Safest Roads in Europe

http://www.abd.org.uk/safest_roads.htm

World Road Safety Chart

International Road Traffic and Accident Database

http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad/index.htm

http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad...sh/irtadlan.htm

Until recently we had the safest roads out of all the IRTAD members, sweeden is now safer (probably since the uk started introducing speed cameras in large numbers)

http://www.bast.de/htdocs/fachthemen/irtad/utility/P118.pdf

As reported in the Daily Telegraph a few weeks ago the death toll on French roads has increased dramatically this year. France as good as shuts down in August, and the rush to the coast results in this month traditionally being the most dangerous time to drive in France.

Last month 560 people died on French roads, a 7% increase from last year. In other words an average of 18 people a day died as a result of road traffic accidents in France in July. That figure is terrible.

>That figure is terrible.

Absolutely. And it's been going on for years. Speed cams didn't help.

Pathetic thing is that it involves youngsters most of the time.

20 miles around where I live alone we had 44 deads in 10 years.

It's more a cultural thing and It's going to take another generation for things to change imho.