House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

indebted

New Electricity Meter

Evening HPC-ers!

Had a letter from a utility supplier saying that my leccy meter is now "life expired" and that they wish to change it free of charge. Usual waffle about not taking liability for blowing up electrical items after installation etc.

I currently have the type of meter which gives cheaper leccy after a certain time (gives two readings) and I'm just a little cynical about the leccy company replacing my meter with one which does not give me a cheaper rate. Are the new meters actually read by a meter reader remotely?

Anyone had their meter changed recently? Can the leccy company force me to have the meter changed? Are meters ever really "life expired"?

Just curious before I let them loose on my electrics!

Cheers!

If you had a 2-rate meter I would expect them to fit a more modern 2-rate meter. In the 90s had an old meter replaced for the same reason.

No idea if they can force you to get it changed, but call them up, make sure they will be fitting the 2-rate meter and not a standard single rate one.

I currently have the type of meter which gives cheaper leccy after a certain time (gives two readings) and I'm just a little cynical about the leccy company replacing my meter with one which does not give me a cheaper rate. Are the new meters actually read by a meter reader remotely?

Anyone had their meter changed recently? Can the leccy company force me to have the meter changed? Are meters ever really "life expired"?

Yes meters do expire, and if you don't let them change it, your house insurance can be affected.

It's not a ploy to charge you more. Your tariff will remain the same unless you state otherwise. They'll just put in a new two rate meter, that's all. The meter itself doesn't dictate your "cheaper rate" anyway, it just records your usage.

It's very unlikely the meter will be read remotely. Smart meters (remotely read via a phone network) have a ten year roll out for everyone. That's a lot of meters to fit in ten years, and even once fitted they'll still be read manually until they're fully up and running. It's more likely you'll have a standard meter fitted for now.

Hope that helps.

Nah be the same, the difference is it will be filled with anti tamper technology and an ET phone home or cut you off is there is something abnormal going on.

Apparently leccy companies use alloy rings on the spinning disc thing or even don't have a disc at all which means magnets are ineffective against them.

Smart meters will indeed be able to cut you off remotely. That's something not many people realise yet ;) You won't get one fitted just yet though, as I said.

And yes, magnets have long been ineffective on most disc meters. New meters are digital anyway.

Evening HPC-ers!

Just curious before I let them loose on my electrics!

Cheers!

It is a legal requirement for electricity meters to be replaced every 20 years (or 10 years if the meter manufacturer only certified the accuracy for 10 years). It is therefore a legal requirement for you to permit the electricity distributor to replace it, and if you don't then they can get a warrant to force entry and potentially bill you for their legal costs.

The meter will be replaced by one equivalent to the one you already have - if you have a dual-rate (economy 7) then the replacement will be equivalent. Usually, these days, they are digital electronic meters - but refurbished spinning disc meters are still sometimes installed.

The meter will not have 'smart' technology or 'remote disconnect' or 'remote reading' technology. However, the electronic meters do have infra-red wireless reading - which allows the meter reader just to hold their PDA up to the meter, and it will electronically read it, as well as get a diagnostic report (including any episodes of tampering). This is potentially a benefit - as electricity companies take official readings as Gospel, and if they overread, and your next bill comes in under - then they'll bill you as if you'd used so much, you'd actually rolled the meter over (about £15k) - and they will fight tooth-and-nail over it.

There are also advanced anti-tamper systems and backup meter circuits on the electronic meters. If a mechanical meter jams or develops an electrical fault - then there's no way to recover the reading, and the electricity company will be forced to estimate your bills (with all the grief that entails).

Electronic meters contain at least 2 separate metering circuits, each of which record the reading electronically. If a fault develops in one (or you try and bypass it), the meter automatically switches to the backup. Even if the digital display goes faulty or gets stuck, the electronic metering circuits will still continue to record accurately.