House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest X-QUORK

Aargh! Our Rental Being Put On The Market

Guest X-QUORK

Been in a property which we're really happy with for the last 12 months, but the LL has just told us she's going to put the place on the market. I'm getting a bit hacked off with this happening and I want to be as obstructive as possible without actually breaking the AST agreement. Any suggestions or words of advice appreciated.

My first thought is that I want to minimise disruption to us through viewings. I was thinking of stating a "Saturdays only" policy or some such, would this be ok?

Gutted, again. If I could buy right now, I would.

X-Q

Been in a property which we're really happy with for the last 12 months, but the LL has just told us she's going to put the place on the market. I'm getting a bit hacked off with this happening and I want to be as obstructive as possible without actually breaking the AST agreement. Any suggestions or words of advice appreciated.

My first thought is that I want to minimise disruption to us through viewings. I was thinking of stating a "Saturdays only" policy or some such, would this be ok?

Gutted, again. If I could buy right now, I would.

X-Q

This happened to me about 2 years ago.

Landlord put flat on property 2 weeks after I moved in! I was fuming as moved from previous property for same reason.

Basically, legally, unless it is in your contract to show the property to buyers then the landlord has to get your agreement otherwise he can't show the property to potential buyers and will have to wait till your contract expires. Your rental agreement will say something about having to let him in for maintenance and to check the upkeep, but it doesn't mean he can show people round and therefore would be breaching contract if he did.

It wasn't written in our contract to show buyers around but what we agreed was that the LL give us a 10% discount on the rent for the inconvience, and the landlord had to give 24 hours notice of viewing ( and no less as the EA did try to do it) and we promised to keep it tidy for a viewing but not super neat. We also agreed to reduce our notice period from 2 months to 1 month, but the LL notice period for eviction for us was still 2 months. Basically we ended up moving after we found the right property but found the above agreement worked well for both parties.

Remember you have the power ( legally) so don't give into them until you at least you get something out of it. If the LL is playing hardball, tell them no viewings and they will have to wait until you leave.

Edited by DONTDOITMAN

Guest X-QUORK

Remember you have the power ( legally) so don't give into them until you at least you get something out of it. If the LL is playing hardball, tell them no viewings and they will have to wait until you leave.

Cheers for your input. We've just come to the end of our six month agreement and are now effectively on two months notice. The LL isn't an unreasonable person, but I'm bloody annoyed that once again we're having to upsticks on the whim of somebody else. They don't want us to move out in case they don't sell over the summer, which would suit us to be honest, but in the meantime I want to make the whole thing as tricky as possible for the estate agent scumbags.

They don't want us to move out in case they don't sell over the summer,

Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it. If they want you to stay in then they shouldn't make things so uncertain for you, certainly not without some degree of compensation. Otherwise I'd up sticks out of spite, even with the inconvenience and hassle and preferring to stay.

They don't want us to move out in case they don't sell over the summer, which would suit us to be honest, but in the meantime I want to make the whole thing as tricky as possible for the estate agent scumbags.

The problem with your plan of "only Saturday Viewings" is do you really want to leave your pad every saturday which happens to be the most popular day for viewings, and not get a sleep in, lounge around the TV etc.

As part of our agreement we did ban Saturday viewings as well, but was happy to let them in midweek ( but not after 5pm) after they gave the rent concession.

I do sympathise as I was also well p*ssed off, but unfortunately that comes with renting.

If the LL is a good bloke then I recon you will be able to come to an agreement that suits both parties. If it is a good property and at a good price it may sell so you may want to start now looking for a good place, otherwise you don't want to be rushed into something you don't like and will inevitable have to move on again.

Edited by DONTDOITMAN

Guest X-QUORK

Leave a large Richard the third proudly perched atop a toilet roll castle in the toilet bowl, with the seat left up.

Perfect!

Guest X-QUORK

I'm assuming we're within our rights to insist on viewings only when we're present?

Yes, its an inconvenience for you, but its not your house at the end of the day. If the owner of the property wants to sell it, its their choice & decision at the end of the day.

just been through all that. i insist that all people coming to view the flat take off their shoes - including the letting agent. its a minor annoyance but cheers me up to put them through that every time.

Yes, its an inconvenience for you, but its not your house at the end of the day. If the owner of the property wants to sell it, its their choice & decision at the end of the day.

Yeeeeeesssss... but it is your *home*. You are renting a *home*, not just a pile of bricks. That means it has conditions such as being respectful of the occupiers' own lives - so allowing them to say when is and isn't ok for viewings (or when the gas man can do the safety check, etc.).

Unfortunately for you this is also written down in law so you'll have to put up with it.

Guest X-QUORK

Thanks for that pearl of wisdom.

Its ok. Thought I'd point it out as you seemed to be missing the obvious :lol:

It actually is your house for the term of the lease BTW. The fact that you don't own the fee simple is irrelevant. I did think of posting some case law but what's the point as you seem to be well versed.

Tom MRICS.

Fact 1: you rent because you care for value and location but not that much that you want to invest.

Fact 2: as the tenant, you don't have to play EA or keep open house for buyers.

Fact 3: it costs money to move.

So, I suggest you give your LL a choice:

a) you move out when the notice is up and they have to wait to show buyers around and take the entire risk.

B) they reimburse you for the inconvenience with what it costs to move and the hassle and work or showing buyers around the house in a pleasant manner.(say £20 an hour) and staying around until it's sold.

No-one needs to work for free, but your LL also deserves some consideration, but should not expect you to give away your peace'n'quiet for free. In turn you don't (and shouldn't) have a claim to calling this place home as in 'rooted'.and be extra awkward.

On the upside, moving house often improves situations and adds spice to life.

C

Sounds like they want to have their cake and eat it. If they want you to stay in then they shouldn't make things so uncertain for you, certainly not without some degree of compensation. Otherwise I'd up sticks out of spite, even with the inconvenience and hassle and preferring to stay.

But that is the problem isnt it.

Property is now viewed as commodity to be bought and sold at a whim. Tenants are of little importance

I have a friend who had to move three times in 18 months as their LL's were cashing in their investments.

I have mailed my MP (effing useless Labour cretin, standing for an area who would vote Labour even if there was not a candidate) asking that tenancy laws should be reviewed as his cretinous former leader had priced a generation out of home ownership. I doubt I will get a response.

If you dont want viewings then just say "no viewings" job done, if the LL then wants you out they can serve statutory notice (which they will have to anyway) but big deal you know one way or another you are going to have to move.

If i was in your situation and didnt want to move then id say "im happy to let you have viewings on saturday but i want a rent reduction", if they then say "no" just say "fine, no viewings until we move". You wont be breaking any laws/agreements so dont worry about it.

Some will argue you could be held liable for losses, but thats frankly cobblers particularly in a depressed market as it wont sell anyway so dont have any fear.

Seeing what you put about minimising your disruption and being obstructive then the easy answer is "no viewings period", bottom line theres not a lot they can do about it. Just depends if you can be bothered with the hassle i guess.

Always remember, the rent payer is the legal occupier, the landlord can choose to sell but has to follow the correct procedures, a lot of them seem to think they can just decide you are out and off you tootle.. wrong im afraid

Guest X-QUORK

Thanks for your thoughts guys. There's another place in the village which has just come up for rent and the owners are seeking long term tenants, so we're probably going to go for it and give our notice here.

It's your house - simple.

Access is your choice other than to allow the LL access to inspect with notice, or for emergency repairs.

Anything the contract says is wiped by statute.

The house I live in is for sale. The LL tried to tell me, via the EA that I had to allow views. I said reduce my rent (30%) and I will. He refused.

No views.

Any views are tresspass, and my dog is here, anyway! He is keen and bites.

Guest X-QUORK

Looks like the house we wanted to rent has gone, so back to square one. Once again our lives are on a rollercoaster because of the whim of others. I'm sick of this shit.

I think I'll ask for a 10% reduction in rent in return for full (accompanied) viewing access. If they refuse, no viewings.

Guest KingCharles1st

Feel for you X-Q, my life seems to have been one huge house move. I am very pissed off with it now. As you know I got a decent paying job, but had to travel 120 miles, and now had to change digs 4 times in 12 weeks aaarrrggghh.

After the great credit con of 2000 to 2007, I doubt if I will EVER be able to buy a house- so I'm stuck with this shit for the foreseeable.

Looks like the house we wanted to rent has gone, so back to square one. Once again our lives are on a rollercoaster because of the whim of others. I'm sick of this shit.

I think I'll ask for a 10% reduction in rent in return for full (accompanied) viewing access. If they refuse, no viewings.

Good luck with your search. I completely sympathize, and have finally relented and bought after two and a half years. It' financially stupid, but at least We won't be at the behest of letting agents and landlords. I still hope house prices fall and fully expect that they will.

I sympathise with your situation. It's a truly dire state of affairs that so many people in this country who rent are only ever 2 months or so away from eviction.

If you'll be renting your next place, and you want stability, I'd suggest looking at country estates (if you haven't thought of that already). This one seems to be a typical example.

A lot of these estates have various properties scattered about. The thing is that a lot of them will be held in trust, to avoid various taxes, so they're not going anywhere. The estate owners are mainly interested in the rental income rather than speculation on the value of the properties.