House Price Crash Forum

'benefits Britain: 700,000 Families Pocket At Least £15,000 A Year'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281950/700-000-families-pocket-15-000-benefits-Labours-40-rise-welfare-payments.html

Mucha s the welfare state was an improtant step to protect people from unemployment and illness,it has become something more.We can't carry on like this,no matter what you're political persuasion,the maths jsut doesn't stack up.

you nasty pasty

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1281950/700-000-families-pocket-15-000-benefits-Labours-40-rise-welfare-payments.html

'Almost 700,000 families are now pocketing more than £15,000 a year in benefits - meaning it does not pay for them to go to work, official figures showed today.

The study - based on internal figures from the Department for Work and Pensions - found an astonishing 670,000 households now receive benefits worth more than £15,600 a year.

Between them they pocket at least £13billion a year in benefits - more than the entire annual budget of the Home Office.

Mr Duncan Smith argues that any household receiving around £15,000 a year in state handouts is not given any incentive to work because it simply does not pay them to do so.

In addition, an estimated 50,000 households receive more than £26,000 a year in benefits – more than the average pre-tax wage for full time workers of £25,123.

Separate figures showed that housing benefit has risen by 40 per cent under Labour to more than £14 billion, with some families receiving an astonishing £93,000 a year each.

And he said that in some benefit-dependent communities those who chose to take a job were viewed as ‘morons’, because for every pound they earned they would lose up to 95 pence in benefits.

Mr Duncan Smith said the result was that hundreds of thousands of families now had little hope or expectation of ever getting off benefits.

The former Tory leader said: ‘We literally cannot afford to go on like this.’

He went on: ‘A system that was originally designed to support the poorest in society is now trapping them in the very condition it was supposed to alleviate.’

Mr Duncan Smith laid out stark statistics showing that more than five million people are now on out of work benefits. Of these, 1.4 million have been on out of work benefits for nine out of the last 10 years.

Britain now has 1. million children living in homes where no-one works '

Mucha s the welfare state was an improtant step to protect people from unemployment and illness,it has become something more.We can't carry on like this,no matter what you're political persuasion,the maths jsut doesn't stack up.

Tax credits, childcare, housing benefit/mortgages paid,5 million with a bad back on IB. And I thought us boomers had it good. 2010 hard working families - now thats the place to be,

Tax credits, childcare, housing benefit/mortgages paid,5 million with a bad back on IB. And I thought us boomers had it good. 2010 hard working families - now thats the place to be,

Yeah just don't work too hard, or you get ****** all, and subsidise everyone else.

Clearly something has to be done, economically it's suicide to continue down this path.

If I'm being cynical I might as well get the wife pregnant again, default on the mortgage, quit work and let the taxpayer pick up the bill as I'll probably be financially better off.

It's a crazy system.

It says they're being trapped in poverty by the system - but they're not! Taking home £26k pa is quite well off. You'd have to earn mid-£30ks to get that from work.

So 700,000 families - that's probably 2 million people benefiting.

I'd say £15k is the minimum paid to a single mother with one child. I have seen £30k on two occasions.

Clearly something has to be done, economically it's suicide to continue down this path.

If I'm being cynical I might as well get the wife pregnant again, default on the mortgage, quit work and let the taxpayer pick up the bill as I'll probably be financially better off.

It's a crazy system.

My nanny was telling me about her flat mate.

He is not from the UK - he holds a German passport as his grandfather was born there. He was born and was brought up in a country outside the EU.

He came to Britain 5 years ago, has never worked here or in Germany either and has claimed benefits here for 5 years. He lives in a nice flat in a nice part of London and goes to the gym every day and laughs about what a stupid country this is - where they pay him to do nothing!!!!!!

My nanny was telling me about her flat mate.

He is not from the UK - he holds a German passport as his grandfather was born there. He was born and was brought up in a country outside the EU.

He came to Britain 5 years ago, has never worked here or in Germany either and has claimed benefits here for 5 years. He lives in a nice flat in a nice part of London and goes to the gym every day and laughs about what a stupid country this is - where they pay him to do nothing!!!!!!

To be fair he's not doing nothing, he's keeping fit which is doing something.

I feel privileged to be helping him keep active.

I know of a couple of people who've got several kids and never worked. One has got children to several blokes, the other couple never worked as their job was "looking after the kids" which they themselves where producing, after the last one they had, the bloke took off, met some else and had another kid which was very nice of him.

It's a great system, the more kids you have the more money gets thrown at you. To be honest if your going to do this you need to keep having kids, if your a women up until your mid forties, if you have your last at around 45 you'll just about make retirement without ever having to work claiming all sorts of benefits up until your pension.

Oh dear, such a wonderfully balanced country, sod going long deflation, does anybody know where i can purchase an ETF in burglary and muggings, looks like it will make the housing bull market look like a molehill

It;s time they brought in food collections/2nd hand clothes abnd council houses for all benefits people.

They deserve to be helped survive, but they dont deserve TVs, Fags, Boozes, Gym memeberships, free housing etc off the rest of our backs.

They should be grateful for everything they get even if that's two potaoes, a pork chop and some veg every day.

This lunancy must end.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

I still remember watching that Tower Block of Commons a month or two back.

Mark Oaten was given the task of the weekly shop for Mr & Mrs Doley and their brood.

She handed him £140 in used notes on the way in to Asda and basically said go on then see if you can manage to do our shop on that money.

Oaten did his shop and proudly handed Mrs Doley the many many bags of sugar and crap that passes for food from Asda, together with about £35 change.

She went straight to the fag counter with it.

The look on Oatens face was a picture.

Slash the beno Dave.

I wonder what they spend this on? Cui bono?

Separate figures showed that housing benefit has risen by 40 per cent under Labour to more than £14 billion, with some families receiving an astonishing £93,000 a year each.

Ah, I see.

Personally I'd prefer them to look more closely at people like Fred Goodwin who is being paid £30,000 a MONTH from his early fifties until death.

I really can't be ar5ed about poor people having enough to eat whether they sit at home or work minimum wage in a sh1tty soul destroying job.

Even if you managed to halve it it doesn't make much difference.

Take it from the rich - Goodwin doesn't need £30,000 a month for the rest of his life for being very sh1t.

It;s time they brought in food collections/2nd hand clothes abnd council houses for all benefits people.

They deserve to be helped survive, but they dont deserve TVs, Fags, Boozes, Gym memeberships, free housing etc off the rest of our backs.

They should be grateful for everything they get even if that's two potaoes, a pork chop and some veg every day.

This lunancy must end.

*cough*

much as I sympathise with many of the views on here, surely the most desperate aspect to this is that even if we cut all these benefits to zero, we wouldn't reduce the deficit enough.

Oh crap

Why is it when the capitalist boom and bust cycle goes into the bust phase we blame the immigrants and those on welfare?

It;s time they brought in food collections/2nd hand clothes abnd council houses for all benefits people.[b.]

This lunancy must end.

Just corrected that for you. I am sure you didnt mean giving free housing, worth many tens of thousands of people, to those on the social.

This lunancy must end.

They will take what is given as long as they are allowed to....can you blame them? ....Governments easy options are not always the best long term options...this has been bottling up for years, lazy easy polices that will eventually come back to haunt the productive and the suppressed. ;)

Ah, I see.

Personally I'd prefer them to look more closely at people like Fred Goodwin who is being paid £30,000 a MONTH from his early fifties until death.

I really can't be ar5ed about poor people having enough to eat whether they sit at home or work minimum wage in a sh1tty soul destroying job.

Take it from the rich - Goodwin doesn't need £30,000 a month for the rest of his life for being very sh1t.

Yes indeed. Them too.

I still remember watching that Tower Block of Commons a month or two back.

Mark Oaten was given the task of the weekly shop for Mr & Mrs Doley and their brood.

She handed him £140 in used notes on the way in to Asda and basically said go on then see if you can manage to do our shop on that money.

Oaten did his shop and proudly handed Mrs Doley the many many bags of sugar and crap that passes for food from Asda, together with about £35 change.

She went straight to the fag counter with it.

The look on Oatens face was a picture.

Slash the beno Dave.

Yes, slash the beno.

Bring in a citizens wage, about £70 a week for each adult should do it. (At least one thread about this).

To do that, you need to have a register of those for are UK citizens, so we would need to produce that. (See my comments on the recent ID Cards thread).

Then once you have done that, tis all sorted. Everyone sorts their own housing out. Strangely enough, those trapped on these wonderful benefits will find that work becomes a lot more appealing. More people will produce more goods and services.

Sorted.

*cough*

much as I sympathise with many of the views on here, surely the most desperate aspect to this is that even if we cut all these benefits to zero, we wouldn't reduce the deficit enough.

Oh crap

this is a good point, all those moaning about having subsidisd this, well to this point it can be argued nobody has, its just been added to the tab each year

Ah, I see.

Sure, but why do we have to subsidise thousands of parasitic lazy greedy b*st*rd slumlords in the process? That's the bit that really sticks in my craw.

to be fair many on here have been warning about this for years.

So many people on welfare is a consequence of wages being driven down to such a low level that they are actually below subsistence levels.

Marx called the unemployed the reserve army of labour. And now the Tories are deploying the reserve army to drive down wages even more.

The labour market will be flooded by pushing people on welfare + the reserve army of eastern european migrants and those being redundant from the public services into the labour market. The intended purpose is to drive down wages and conditions to a level so as to be competitive with workers in countries like China and India. Its called globalisation.

'Almost 700,000 families are now pocketing more than £15,000 a year in benefits - meaning it does not pay for them to go to work, official figures showed today.

The study - based on internal figures from the Department for Work and Pensions - found an astonishing 670,000 households now receive benefits worth more than £15,600 a year.

Between them they pocket at least £13billion a year in benefits - more than the entire annual budget of the Home Office.

Mr Duncan Smith argues that any household receiving around £15,000 a year in state handouts is not given any incentive to work because it simply does not pay them to do so.

In addition, an estimated 50,000 households receive more than £26,000 a year in benefits – more than the average pre-tax wage for full time workers of £25,123.

And he said that in some benefit-dependent communities those who chose to take a job were viewed as ‘morons’, because for every pound they earned they would lose up to 95 pence in benefits.

Mr Duncan Smith said the result was that hundreds of thousands of families now had little hope or expectation of ever getting off benefits.

The former Tory leader said: ‘We literally cannot afford to go on like this.’

He went on: ‘A system that was originally designed to support the poorest in society is now trapping them in the very condition it was supposed to alleviate.’

Mr Duncan Smith laid out stark statistics showing that more than five million people are now on out of work benefits. Of these, 1.4 million have been on out of work benefits for nine out of the last 10 years.

Britain now has 1. million children living in homes where no-one works '

Could all this Housing Benefit be putting a floor under rental yields, and consequently under House Prices?

In my opinion, we should be handing out either state vouchers that can be exchanged for basic food rations and clothing, or handing our essentials directly. We should not be handing out cash. I believe we have a moral duty to "keep people alive", but not much more.

We could then introduce a "carrott and stick"....

Anyone on benefits convicted of a crime would have their voucher allocation cut to cover only the most basic food and water, for a period of time proportionate to the crime.

People who could demonstrate they were activiely participating in education (to imrpove employability), or contributing to the community by performing volunteer work or community service would be given extra "luxury" voucher to exchange for things over-and-above the essentials (beer, cigarettes, XBox360 games, etc).

Can I be Prime Minister please?