House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Pindar

Bank Of England Jobs Page

What were your first impressions of the Bank?

When you first join the Bank as a graduate, you take part in a three-week graduate induction programme. This is a great programme that the Bank runs and it allows you to better understand the different areas of the Bank and the work that we do there. You also participate in this work and you get to put together presentations and give those presentations to senior members of the Bank – for example, heads of division – as well as participating in lunches and dinners with previous governors – for example – Sir Eddie George – as well as other eminent City figures.

:lol:

What was your first day on the job like ?

My first day on the job was to add more memory to the computer system to allow it to handle the extra fiat money we had to create, so this could be loaned to Gordon Brown for his economic miracle to stay on track.

Which department of the bank did you like best while you was training ?

My favourite was the "Inflation figure manipulation department"

They allowed me to go shopping for the basket of goods which determined the inflation figures. When we got the inflation figure we wanted, they allowed me to keep the tesco clubcard points and take home some of the goods which i have still got in the freezer .

How does your work help the Bank?

The work that I really enjoy doing at the Bank is something called market intelligence, and what that means is we go out and talk to individual firms, market participants, and from these individual conversations, we get an aggregate picture of the outlook of those markets, and the risks to our monetary policy and our financial stability outlook.

These conversations are used, in part, to inform the decisions by the Monetary Policy Committee and also the Financial Stability Board. I really enjoy participating in these market intelligence initiatives and have visited different countries and met lots of different people. For example, soon I will be going to New York, where I will be talking to our US counterparts about conditions in their markets, and also trying to identify any global risks that might impact on our UK economic outlook.

Then we get a gibbon to throw a dart at a pie chart. We find that's the most accurate way to predict inflation.

How does your work help the Bank?

The work that I really enjoy doing at the Bank is something called market intelligence, and what that means is we go out and talk to individual firms, market participants, and from these individual conversations, we get an aggregate picture of the outlook of those markets, and the risks to our monetary policy and our financial stability outlook.

These conversations are used, in part, to inform the decisions by the Monetary Policy Committee and also the Financial Stability Board. I really enjoy participating in these market intelligence initiatives and have visited different countries and met lots of different people. For example, soon I will be going to New York, where I will be talking to our US counterparts about conditions in their markets, and also trying to identify any global risks that might impact on our UK economic outlook.

Then we get a gibbon to throw a dart at a pie chart. We find that's the most accurate way to predict inflation.

A blind, drunk gibbon I assume.