House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

pl1

Best Shop To Haggle?

Was in Currys today looking at Washing machines. Now I've caught your interest, I will say that when I spoke to the salesman and said I could pay cash now what was the best offer he could make, he said it wasn't policy and that I'd have to pay the shop price. I always thought it was fair game to haggle on white goods. That's what all the so-called Money Saving experts on the TV say anyway. But they wouldn't budge. Was it just this branch or is this at every Currys?

If so, anybody know the best chain for haggling for white goods?

Any shop that does a 'price match' offer. If you're brave, just make a price up that's a bit under their price and tell them you've seen it on the i/net.

In my experience, Comet are usually pretty good for white goods.

Was in Currys today looking at Washing machines. Now I've caught your interest, I will say that when I spoke to the salesman and said I could pay cash now what was the best offer he could make, he said it wasn't policy and that I'd have to pay the shop price. I always thought it was fair game to haggle on white goods. That's what all the so-called Money Saving experts on the TV say anyway. But they wouldn't budge. Was it just this branch or is this at every Currys?

If so, anybody know the best chain for haggling for white goods?

DSG will not allow their staff, and that includes the store manager, to haggle on price. They will price match, but not against online retailers.

Comet are much easier to haggle with, I go in with a printout from the website of the cheapest online retailer I can find, which is usually Laskys (same group), and they will invariably match it after checking with the manager.

If the object is to get good white goods at a good price, I did that purely online when I moved to my present place.

After shopping around, I placed two big orders, one with Comet, the other with Argos. The Argos one arrived early next morning, and the delivery men were very helpful, notably with the (heavy, of course) washing machine. The Comet one didn't arrive, and I was without a fridge-freezer for some days[1]. When I chased it, it became clear they were hopelessly inefficient, so I canceled my order and placed a second order with Argos. Once again, my stuff arrived early the next morning.

These online prices were extremely competitive (I had, after all, shopped around). Draw what inferences you will.

[1] Good thing it was March, not high summer :)

Try a local independent who is part of the 'Euronics' network, they have bulk buying power and are normally keen to do a deal.

+ lots

Try a local independent who is part of the 'Euronics' network, they have bulk buying power and are normally keen to do a deal.

Cheers I'll have a look at this. Currys did do free delivery and recycle of old one, I dunno if this is normal as I'm unfamiliar with Washing machine purchasing protocol.