House Price Crash Forum

just watching question time on bbc.

can't believe people are still so convinced the econmic problems dont' have anything to do with them. how do people convince themselves that its always someone else fault. Aparently our problems came from america? and when america starts recovering everything will be alright.

compare personal levels to the government, anyone in debt would not want to give up their mobile phone contract to pay off their debt! so in the same light the government is being abused for trying to make cuts!

people around the world (read sudo affluent) believe they deserve more for their money then it actuall buys! stop spending tomorrows money on yourself!

sorry, bit drunk....

just watching question time on bbc.

can't believe people are still so convinced the econmic problems dont' have anything to do with them. how do people convince themselves that its always someone else fault. Aparently our problems came from america? and when america starts recovering everything will be alright.

compare personal levels to the government, anyone in debt would not want to give up their mobile phone contract to pay off their debt! so in the same light the government is being abused for trying to make cuts!

people around the world (read sudo affluent) believe they deserve more for their money then it actuall buys! stop spending tomorrows money on yourself!

sorry, bit drunk....

why the tory reaction to campbell's presence?

It was No 10s refusal to appear with him, Redwood has. I suppose it's because he's an unelected gob on a stick for Labour. Even Redwood has pointed at him and said 'your govt'. I'm sure this was a deliberate slur.

I've turned over now. Audience full of students (Gravesend) whooping at Labour b/s (still!) and both Campbell AND Piers Morgan on the panel. Too much.

Edited by deflation

It was No 10s refusal to appear with him, Redwood has. I suppose it's because he's an unelected gob on a stick for Labour. Even Redwood has pointed at him and said 'your govt'. I'm sure this was a deliberate slur.

I've turned over now. Audience full of students (Gravesend) whooping at Labour b/s (still!) and both Campbell AND Piers Morgan on the panel. Too much.

Too much indeed. Not keen on either of those two. But the reasoning behind the BBC's refusing to cave in to No 10 seems sound.

I have to say it looks a government own goal. They are the government FFS. They just won an election (between them). Demanding the right to choose who the other team puts on the playing field? Running away from Campbell like frightened schoolkids? Why? What for? Seems a bit shallow really.

Brown may be gone but, like some Communist Russian factory churning out obsolete parts because they haven't received orders to stop, his Broadcasting Corporation remains..

Too much indeed. Not keen on either of those two. But the reasoning behind the BBC's refusing to cave in to No 10 seems sound.

I have to say it looks a government own goal. They are the government FFS. They just won an election (between them). Demanding the right to choose who the other team puts on the playing field? Running away from Campbell like frightened schoolkids? Why? What for? Seems a bit shallow really.

Redwood 'I only voted for the Iraq war out of loyalty to our leader'

What a pr1ck

Does make the Govt look stupid on the face of it. However, Alistair Campbell is a professional spinning machine who lies about reasons for killing thousands of people - and he isn't a Politician.

Why is it that Labour members of staff supporters in the audience, week after week, insist that 'the left won the election' and make the assumption that anyone who voted for Lib Dem's really wanted Labour to win? Is it justified? Of all the people I know that voted Lib Dem I'd say less than 30% of them had Labour as their second choice.

Am I speaking to the wrong people?

Does make the Govt look stupid on the face of it. However, Alistair Campbell is a professional spinning machine who lies about reasons for killing thousands of people - and he isn't a Politician.

He is all of that and more. Surely makes him an easier person to dabate against?

Was this Murdoch trying to get Campbell censored off the TV because he took Sky to the cleaners?

He is all of that and more. Surely makes him an easier person to dabate against?

Was this Murdoch trying to get Campbell censored off the TV because he took Sky to the cleaners?

For clarity, I meant to write 'elected Politician'.

Like I say, it does make the Government look stupid. My point was simply that debating against Campbell is like shouting in a vacuum.

Why is it that Labour members of staff supporters in the audience, week after week, insist that 'the left won the election' and make the assumption that anyone who voted for Lib Dem's really wanted Labour to win? Is it justified? Of all the people I know that voted Lib Dem I'd say less than 30% of them had Labour as their second choice.

Am I speaking to the wrong people?

I suspect peoples' reasons for voting lib-dem - if it was tactical - vary regionally.

my guess is that it is an anti-tory vote in the S.W. and probably an anti-labour vote elsewhere...could be wrong

where are you?

(and as to Alistair Campbell - typical smart-*rse leftie, thinks winning the argument by attrition counts as having won your heart and mind, think Yvette Cooper; mind you, the current govt may end up going that way given 5 to 10 years

It was shouty and sh1t tonight; worse than usual.

Did anyone get a word of what that African bloke was saying near the start?

He wanted an ID card - £80 million invested in project so far £5mil to finish it. Not really a saving was his point. Is Nigeria now part of Europe?

I'm no fan of John Redwood but I enjoyed his scrap with Alistair CampBull. I thought that Jonathan Dimbleby was rude a talked over Lib Dem woman alot.

He wanted an ID card - £80 million invested in project so far £5mil to finish it. Not really a saving was his point. Is Nigeria now part of Europe?

Cheers. He was speaking too fast and I'd had a couple of ales!

Redwood wiped the floor with Campbell IMO. Kept his cool and watched with glee as Campell lost it.

It was shouty and sh1t tonight; worse than usual.

Did anyone get a word of what that African bloke was saying near the start?

Yes the shouting over each other was terrible. there is also to many people on the panel , they speak for to long and the audience who it is meant to be about do not get enough time to have their say.

I see BBC have put this as a story on their news pages..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8709930.stm

"Row over Alastair Campbell on BBC Question Time panel"

Downing Street refused to allow a government minister to appear on the Question Time programme unless Tony Blair's former adviser Alastair Campbell was removed, the BBC has said.

The corporation said No 10 complained about his presence on the BBC One show.

The programme's editor said the request to replace Mr Campbell with a shadow minister was refused as a point of "fundamental principle".

No 10 said it questioned his appearance instead of an opposition front bencher.

No representatives from the coalition government appeared on the show but Tory backbencher John Redwood was on the panel.

The other guests were former Lib Dem MP Susan Kramer, and journalists Piers Morgan and Max Hastings.

'Extraordinary'

A Downing Street spokesman said: "In the week of the Queen's Speech the BBC booked Alastair Campbell in the place of an opposition front bencher to appear on Question Time - which we questioned.

"Before a final decision was made on who might appear on behalf of the government the BBC directly booked John Redwood MP."

It is for Question Time, not political parties, to make judgements about impartiality and to determine who is invited to appear in the interests of the audience

Gavin Allen

Executive editor, Question Time

Introducing the programme, host David Dimbleby said he would have "expected" to have had a government minister on the panel in the week that it unveiled its legislative agenda for the year ahead in the Queen's Speech.

He explained that No 10 had made it clear that a cabinet minister was "available" to appear but only if Mr Campbell was replaced by a member of the shadow cabinet.

He said it was up to "us on Question Time to decide who should be on the programme not Downing Street".

Mr Campbell said it was "extraordinary" there was no member of the government on the show in the week of the Queen's Speech "regardless of who else is on the panel".

'Independence'

It is believed David Laws, the chief secretary to the Treasury, had been scheduled to appear on the show.

At the end of the show Mr Campbell held up a picture of Mr Laws and suggested that he had been due to appear.

Alastair Campbell on the government's refusal to debate with him on Question Time

Gavin Allen, the show's executive editor, said it was the "first time" in his three years in the job that No 10 had made such a demand.

Explaining why it had been "obviously refused", he said: "It is a fundamental principle of our independence that politicians cannot dictate who sits on the panel.

"It is for Question Time, not political parties, to make judgements about impartiality and to determine who is invited to appear in the interests of the audience.

"Parties are free to accept or reject those invitations but they do not have a right of veto over other panellists. Licence fee payers rightly insist that the BBC must be free from political interference."

Key adviser

Mr Allen said Mr Campbell was one of the most "senior and influential" figures in the Labour movement.

He added that when in government, Labour ministers had regularly appeared on Question Time when the opposition was represented either by a backbench MP or by an unelected panellist.

"It is not an argument or an objection that bears scrutiny," he added

Mr Campbell was a key adviser to Tony Blair in opposition and was No 10 director of communications and strategy between 1997 and 2003 - when he stepped down from the role.

He recently returned to the limelight advising Labour on its general election strategy and was among those coaching Gordon Brown ahead of the leadership debates.

He was one of a close circle of advisers in Downing Street in the final hours of Mr Brown's premiership as the party tried and failed to negotiate a coalition deal with the Liberal Democrats.

Shadow culture secretary Ben Bradshaw said the "coalition's talk of new politics sounds more and more like the politics of a dim and distant past".

"It's extraordinary that in the week of its first Queen's Speech the government refused to put up a cabinet minister to explain its policies on Question Time because Alastair Campbell was appearing," he said.

"This curious decision comes in a week which has seen major government announcements on cuts, the Queen's Speech and welfare either leaked to the press or announced outside the scrutiny of Parliament."

I would say this was the first warning shot from the Government that they do not intend to allow the BBC to continue to run its pro Labour bias any longer.

What better way to make Question Time irrelevant if the Government refuses to go on it.

That, I suspect, will be the start. One of these days the Director General of the BBC will be summoned to Downing Street and made to sit through a short montage of the absurdly pro Labour bias on Question Time and the Today program on Radio 4.

It will be explained to him that the cuts have to fall everywhere and the BBC Licence fee is to be halved.

It will be further explained that, unless the pro Labour bias stops immediately, the BBC Licence fee will be abolished and they will be free to compete in the open market - if they can raise the money to buy the buildings etc.

I would say this was the first warning shot from the Government that they do not intend to allow the BBC to continue to run its pro Labour bias any longer.

What better way to make Question Time irrelevant if the Government refuses to go on it.

That, I suspect, will be the start. One of these days the Director General of the BBC will be summoned to Downing Street and made to sit through a short montage of the absurdly pro Labour bias on Question Time and the Today program on Radio 4.

It will be explained to him that the cuts have to fall everywhere and the BBC Licence fee is to be halved.

It will be further explained that, unless the pro Labour bias stops immediately, the BBC Licence fee will be abolished and they will be free to compete in the open market - if they can raise the money to buy the buildings etc.

I agree.

I got a letter telling me that the licence fee enforcement officers were in my road. Ha ha. Tossers.

That's certainly a possibility. Did No 10 also fire a warning shot at the 1922 committee? Another possibility is that having just got rid of one control freak these are signs we may another. After all he's barely got his feet under the table and there's already been two examples.

Personally I think its simply a case of needing to settle in to the game and develop the right touch. As said above Redwood coped fine with Campbell. I'm not sure its not good politics if backbenchers are seen to capably go where minsters fear to tread. Particularly when said backbencher is going head to head with you to overturn a part of your economic policy.