House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

rolf

This Oil Disaster In America

I know this is an ecological disaster but I'm finding it fascinating for a number of reasons.

1) the engineering aspects of plugging this huge tap/hole.

2) but more....

- isn't it hilarious that yanks are bleating like crazy about this spill in the gulf (that has barely killed any birds so far) yet I don't remember such an outcry about the Exxon Valdez disaster that killed tons of wildlife. I guess there are no nice beaches up there.

- isn't it hilarious that Obama and senators and governors are moaning like crazy about BP when governments know the risks of drilling offshore for oil

- isn't it hilarious to hear that people are now using this as an excuse to question offshore oil drilling. How else do they expect to pay for their huge SUVs, giant TVs, super size burgers etc.

The only thing that surprises me is that the yanks haven't seen the word "British" in BP and decided to have a pop at "the Brits" about it.

I know this is an ecological disaster but I'm finding it fascinating for a number of reasons.

2) but more....

- isn't it hilarious that yanks are bleating like crazy about this spill in the gulf (that has barely killed any birds so far) yet I don't remember such an outcry about the Exxon Valdez disaster that killed tons of wildlife. I guess there are no nice beaches up there.

- isn't it hilarious that Obama and senators and governors are moaning like crazy about BP when governments know the risks of drilling offshore for oil

- isn't it hilarious to hear that people are now using this as an excuse to question offshore oil drilling. How else do they expect to pay for their huge SUVs, giant TVs, super size burgers etc.

The only thing that surprises me is that the yanks haven't seen the word "British" in BP and decided to have a pop at "the Brits" about it.

I thought it was Beyond Petroleum? :lol:

2) but more....

Are you sure you actually remember that spill?

The outcry was massive.

They've rebranded it Beyond Petroleum now IIRC, and their have some who have been bleating on about foreign oil companies damaging the US environment (despite Halliburton et al being implicated too)

Not sure there's that much humour to be found in this tbh, it's looking like it may well top the Exxon Valdez

IMPO BP have spent the last month trying to save their drill-hole rather than plugging the hole which, IMPO, is what they should have done in the first place... but that would have cost them the billions they have alegeldy already spent drilling it....

For decades high explosives have been used to plug broken oil-wells - on ground and under the sea - so they could have done this.

I certainly will not be buying any shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico for many years to come.

Shame, because I have been reading up about shrimp creole, gumbo and the jambalaya - which all looks the same shrimp soup/curry to me.

Fortunately te BBC keep showing pictures of wildlife swimming happily past the leak. It can't be affecting them all that much.

Yes, that's certainly conclusive proof no fish have been affected by the 19 million gallons of oil* that have been spilt across the coasts of Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, including the wetlands near New Orleans where millions of migratory birds are currently nesting, and fish spawning.

You really have it in for animals don't you?

Did you pull the wings of flies and torture kittens as a child?

* that's 8 million more than the Exxon Valdez btw.

As I understand it, hardly any birds have been affected at all. I remember Valdez and there were tens of thousands of birds washing up on the shore. Apparently there are barely a few tens this time.

OK marine life is a different matter. I just find it strange to hear people squeal so much now when the damage done so far is far less than Valdez.

Yes, that's certainly conclusive proof no fish have been affected by the 19 million gallons of oil* that have been spilt across the coasts of Texas, Florida, Mississippi, Alabama, and Louisiana, including the wetlands near New Orleans where millions of migratory birds are currently nesting, and fish spawning.

You really have it in for animals don't you?

Did you pull the wings of flies and torture kittens as a child?

* that's 8 million more than the Exxon Valdez btw.

These things recover exceptionally well, I really wouldn't lose sleep over it. Some people need to toughen up a bit.

What I find ironic is how they are slating BP, yet the banks helped absolutely TRASH their economy yet in my eyes never got berated/dealt with like this.

19 million barrels gallons is an older smaller supertankers worth.

The media are describing it as the end of days but every day far more crude oil is being moved about in just one single tanker, and they make up the largest segment of shipping

combined.

There is no reason to stop offshore drilling if it's for environmental reasons, this was a failure of the safety systems just like any other operation.

cargo-ship-aframax-oil-tanker-195940.jpg

19 million barrels gallons is an older smaller supertankers worth.

The media are describing it as the end of days but every day far more crude oil is being moved about in just one single tanker, and they make up the largest segment of shipping

combined.

There is no reason to stop offshore drilling if it's for environmental reasons, this was a failure of the safety systems just like any other operation.

cargo-ship-aframax-oil-tanker-195940.jpg

A fairly decent amount of oil seeps into the oceans naturally anyway, ecosystems can cope.

A fairly decent amount of oil seeps into the oceans naturally anyway, ecosystems can cope.

I see the anti-environment t0ssers are out in force tonight.

NEW ORLEANS — Marine scientists have discovered a massive new plume of what they believe to be oil deep beneath the Gulf of Mexico, stretching 22 miles (35 kilometers) from the leaking wellhead northeast toward Mobile Bay, Alabama.

The discovery by researchers on the University of South Florida College of Marine Science's Weatherbird II vessel is the second significant undersea plume recorded since the Deepwater Horizon exploded on April 20.

The thick plume was detected just beneath the surface down to about 3,300 feet (1,000 meters), and is more than 6 miles (9.6 kilometers) wide, said David Hollander, associate professor of chemical oceanography at the school.

Hollander said the team detected the thickest amount of hydrocarbons, likely from the oil spewing from the blown out well, at about 1,300 feet (nearly 400 meters) in the same spot on two separate days this week.

The discovery was important, he said, because it confirmed that the substance found in the water was not naturally occurring and that the plume was at its highest concentration in deeper waters. The researchers will use further testing to determine whether the hydrocarbons they found are the result of dispersants or the emulsification of oil as it traveled away from the well.

The first such plume detected by scientists stretched from the well southwest toward the open sea, but this new undersea oil cloud is headed miles inland into shallower waters where many fish and other species reproduce.

The researchers say they are worried these undersea plumes may be the result of the unprecedented use of chemical dispersants to break up the oil a mile undersea at the site of the leak.

Hollander said the oil they detected has dissolved into the water, and is no longer visible, leading to fears from researchers that the toxicity from the oil and dispersants could pose a big danger to fish larvae and creatures that filter the waters for food.

"There are two elements to it," Hollander said. "The plume reaching waters on the continental shelf could have a toxic effect on fish larvae, and we also may see a long term response as it cascades up the food web."

Dispersants contain surfactants, which are similar to dishwashing soap.

A Louisiana State University researcher who has studied their effects on marine life said that by breaking oil into small particles, surfactants make it easier for fish and other animals to soak up the oil's toxic chemicals. That can impair the animals' immune systems and cause reproductive problems.

"The oil's not at the surface, so it doesn't look so bad, but you have a situation where it's more available to fish," said Kevin Kleinow, a professor in LSU's school of veterinary medicine.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/27/gulf-oil-spill-new-plumes_n_591994.html

IMPO BP have spent the last month trying to save their drill-hole rather than plugging the hole which, IMPO, is what they should have done in the first place... but that would have cost them the billions they have alegeldy already spent drilling it....

For decades high explosives have been used to plug broken oil-wells - on ground and under the sea - so they could have done this.

I certainly will not be buying any shrimp from the Gulf of Mexico for many years to come.

Shame, because I have been reading up about shrimp creole, gumbo and the jambalaya - which all looks the same shrimp soup/curry to me.

Why not offer up your expertise in extreme deep sea well plugging?

Obama speaking today said "We will take ideas from anywhere, but we are going to stop it."

You need to call him with your explosive ideas.

Seriously.:blink:

Oh, hang on.. you're right, they want it to keep on leaking, it's playing right the way BP expected it to - why, have a look at their share price; if they cap this now their shareholders would be up in arms and Obama certainly wants to keep it flowing - he needs to prove to OPEC that the Gulf still has it.

My God! If they cap this well there would be no way into the reservoir given our advanced drilling techniques, we can only drill in any direction over tens of kilometers.

What I find ironic is how they are slating BP, yet the banks helped absolutely TRASH their economy yet in my eyes never got berated/dealt with like this.

Exactly.

Somehow companies in any other field have to be reliable and liable.

Total double standards.

Exactly.

Somehow companies in any other field have to be reliable and liable.

Total double standards.

It doesn't help that BP is foreign.

Interestingly, this disaster could not have happened (OK, much, much less likely) in Brazil, which has much more stringent requirements for testing and verifying blow-out preventers.

Fundamentally, link in many areas, you have the profit motive working against safety precautions (at over £100k per day in this case). Which is why you need regulation, and well enforced regulation at that. Strangely enough, regulation has been a bit lax for the last 8 or so years in the US..

A huff post link :lol: Not seen one of them for a while :unsure:

To discount an argument because of its source is known in formal logic as the genetic fallacy. ;)

Why not offer up your expertise in extreme deep sea well plugging?

Obama speaking today said "We will take ideas from anywhere, but we are going to stop it."

You need to call him with your explosive ideas.

Seriously.:blink:

Oh, hang on.. you're right, they want it to keep on leaking, it's playing right the way BP expected it to - why, have a look at their share price; if they cap this now their shareholders would be up in arms and Obama certainly wants to keep it flowing - he needs to prove to OPEC that the Gulf still has it.

My God! If they cap this well there would be no way into the reservoir given our advanced drilling techniques, we can only drill in any direction over tens of kilometers.

Engineering a solution to try and save their pipe and engineering a solution which plugs the leak are two separate things.

FYI, over the last few days numerous media reports on both sides of the Atlantic, including questions in the US Senate, have debated whether BP have been trying to stop the leak or simply save their well. Hence why the anger is growing in the US.

I suggest you do some reading.

Engineering a solution to try and save their pipe and engineering a solution which plugs the leak are two separate things.

FYI, over the last few days numerous media reports on both sides of the Atlantic, including questions in the US Senate, have debated whether BP have been trying to stop the leak or simply save their well. Hence why the anger is growing in the US.

It seems that the top kill procedure is not going to work.

This is my impression from the discussions going on over at the oildrum.

That means August is likely the earliest we can expect some relief from this catastrophe.

One explanation is that BP knew that top kill would never work, but that they had to be seen to be doing something now.

I am an engineer honey and your pipe and plug argument makes no sense.

Why not get back onto the usual gumbo/IT/conspiracy theory topics you're much better suited to them.

Well, numerous reports AND Senate questions, right, it is so a conspiracy!

Guest anorthosite

The hurricane season officially started yesterday. This could make things in the Gulf of Mexico more "interesting" :(