House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

gruffydd

The Songs They Banned...

I an old enough to remember "Pass the duchty" by those Black lads.......they went on Blue Peter.......poor old Noakles, even Shep knew what they were on about. I also recall watch Top of the Pops in the early 90's......with the lead BBC DJ screeming "Acccidd" without the BBC high comand just what "Acid" was.....

Mike

I Am The Walrus, because it had the line: "boy you've been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down"

Goo goo goo chu

Guest anorthosite

I remember the BBC banned the Mr Blobby single. But that was just because it was shit.

There was a song by the Happy Mondays 'Kinky Afro' I think it was called, which opened with the best/worst line of all time:

"Son, i"m 30... I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty..."

Still laugh about that now

I remember the BBC banned the Mr Blobby single. But that was just because it was shit.

If they stuck to that standard now, there wouldn't be much on telly at all!

I Am The Walrus, because it had the line: "boy you've been a naughty girl, you let your knickers down"

Goo goo goo chu

I can't recall this being banned;it was on the radio fairly frequently in 1968.Other songs which were banned around that time were Pink Floyd's knicker-nicking Arnold Layne,and 'Desdemona' and 'Come And Play With Me In The Garden' by pop-psychers John's Children(featuring a young Marc Bolan on guitar) The BBC bans seemed to expire after a while;I heard Tony Blackburn play 'Arnold Layne' at one point! (Never could fathom out why Lou Reed's 'Take A Walk On The Wild Side' wasn't banned,though..maybe the producers didn't listen very carefully to the lyrics!)

'Blood sport for all' by Carter USM was banned during the first Gulf war.

We couldn't have folks going around criticising the culture and purpose of the armed forces whilst there was a war on, could we? :unsure:

A truly great dance song. 18 years old now but could quite easily be released today and not seem out of place.

Boss Drum and Keep Comin On have never been off my playlist... ever since that European road trip. Check 'em out kids.

I remember the BBC radio stations refusing to play The Prodigy - Raise my pimp hand towards a female canine up.

The really funny thig I remember about this is I was watching a film about OJ Simpson, which showed him beating up his wife, then cutting to a scene where he was putting a plaster on one of her injuries.

being at university at the time, and stoned, someone piped up with 'smack my bitch up, patch my bitch up' and we all just fell about laughing.

Well it was funny at the time.

Guest X-QUORK

"Louie Louie" by The Kingsmen was a good one, went on to become one of the most covered tracks ever.

The Anti-Nowhere League had its single 'streets of london / so what' banned for obscenity because of the B -Side song 'so what'. Tony Blackburn once commented that their version of streets of london was the worst song he had ever heard in his life :) .I though it was actually pretty good.

'so what' was later made famous by Metallica who did a pretty crap cover version of it.

Id better not post a youtube link to the song as its still pretty offensive even by todays standards.

Guest X-QUORK

Tony Blackburn once commented that their version of streets of london was the worst song he had ever heard in his life :) .

Tony Blackburn, that well known arbiter of decent music.

Any Hawkwind fan knows about Urban Guerilla being banned by the BBC in 1973. The single was released just as an IRA bombing campaign started and that was supposedly the reason that the BBC banned it. But it was really a kind of tongue in cheek song about the anarchists of the time, people like the Angry Brigade.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urban_Guerrilla

There was a song by the Happy Mondays 'Kinky Afro' I think it was called, which opened with the best/worst line of all time:

"Son, i"m 30... I only went with your mother 'cause she's dirty..."

Still laugh about that now

Shaun Ryder : the finest lyricist of our times

Guest X-QUORK

Shame he couldn't sing, like Monkeyboy. Where is he now? Is he now?

He's become the Official Talking Head for all things musical in Manchester. I wish he'd get off his **** and do some more music!