House Price Crash Forum

Cure The Deficit In One Year?

HOLA441

Could the govt clear it all if they stopped all schools, hospitals etc for a year?

(I have no concept of how big the nation's budget is or how big the deficit is)

Ok it'd be crap if you had kidney failiure in the next year or needed exams but ... one year.. lots of pain and it's over?

HOLA442
HOLA443
HOLA444
HOLA445

Could the govt clear it all if they stopped all schools, hospitals etc for a year?

Ok it'd be crap if you had kidney failiure in the next year or needed exams but ... one year.. lots of pain and it's over?

Apart from all the people dying, which might be considered a bonus, what about the regularity of the workforce?

With the state babysitting service closed for the year, there would be a huge rise in absenteeism at work, and that's serious!

HOLA446

Yea, considered this myself, what would it take?

Probably 5 years to get rid of the total debt, so would probably be a bit unpleasent by then :lol:

Didn't bother starting a thread on the thought as I thought I'd get hammered.

Brave move Sarahbell, good luck ;)

HOLA447

what about the regularity of the workforce?

With the state babysitting service closed for the year, there would be a huge rise in absenteeism at work, and that's serious!

But all the jobs are govt jobs - so there'd be no jobs for ayear to be absent from

(Ok 40% in wales, 30% in england)

HOLA448

How about compulsory euthanasia for anyone over the age of 60. They'd save £100 bn p.a. in pensions and £50 bn p.a. on the NHS cost. Redistribute all their assets to the next generation down - everyones a winner, apart from pensioners of course. Of course the makers of Worthers Originals will see a large decline in profits but thats acceptable for the good of the nation, reducing the National Debt is a patriotic duty after all.

HOLA449

The total deficit (not debt) is £160bn of which about £80bn is "structural" - i.e. the amount you'd be borrowing if you weren't in recession. It's the structual element you really need to clear.

Government spending is about £700bn p/a so realistically what your talking about is tax rises of about £20bn plus spending cuts of £50bn.

£50bn is only about 7% of total spending - from a private sector point of view not a huge challenge, especially given the well reported levels of waste throughout the public sector.

It could be done - whether it would be politically acceptable is another question.

Edit: with RPI running at >5% you could actually get most of the spending savings just by keeping the nominal departmental budgets fixed.

Edited by Goat

HOLA4410
HOLA4411

In that case I suppose we could just sell the $300+ billion of US treasuries we hold and clear the lot in one fell swoop!

The total deficit (not debt) is £160bn of which about £80bn is "structural" - i.e. the amount you'd be borrowing if you weren't in recession. It's the structual element you really need to clear.

Government spending is about £700bn p/a so realistically what your talking about is tax rises of about £20bn plus spending cuts of £50bn.

£50bn is only about 7% of total spending - from a private sector point of view not a huge challenge, especially given the well reported levels of waste throughout the public sector.

It could be done - whether it would be politically acceptable is another question.

Edit: with RPI running at >5% you could actually get most of the spending savings just by keeping the nominal departmental budgets fixed.

HOLA4412
HOLA4413
HOLA4414

Are you joking, a murderous fascist, or just both?

HOLA4415

Every worker in the UK earning over 12k a year gives up a months wages. One months hardship is probably worth paying off a good chunk of the debt.

The national outrage could be tempered by throwing a few fun events like putting Gordon Brown in the stocks and letting us throw things at him for a quid-a-go.

We could legalise prostitution for the month and collect a percentage of the profits, a sort of shag for Britain campaign.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

Mostly joking.

But it's been a bad week.

:)

Phew...thats a relief! :D

How about instead we nationalise all the banks without compensation, wait a few years, sell them and use the profits towards the debt

and hit bankers, hedge fund managers etc with a massive 99% retrospective tax on thier last 10 years earnings, and confiscate any assets (i.e property!!) they might have. They made the mess, they can pay to clean it up.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

Troops brought home from Afghanistan - good

Home-schooled kids - good

Zero regulation of utility prices - probably not good

No police - probably less of a problem than you might think

No fire department - might need some serious volunteering

Starving pensioners - have to sleep on the floor at the kids'

Starving single mums on benefits - Hobbesian humanitarian disaster in the making

Collapse of banks in absence of government guarantees - good

No NHS - care at home for the elderly, cash/food for a local medic/nurse if you break your leg

Bit of a mixed bag really

HOLA4420

There is nothing new under the sun.

Jonathan Swift's Modest Proposal, has been here before.

"It has been argued that Swift’s main target in A Modest Proposal was not the conditions in Ireland, but rather the can-do spirit of the times that led people to devise a number of illogical schemes that would purportedly solve social and economic ills. Swift was especially insulted by projects that tried to fix population and labor issues with a simple cure-all solution. A memorable example of these sorts of schemes "involved the idea of running the poor through a joint-stock company". In response, Swift’s Modest Proposal was "a burlesque of projects concerning the poor", that were in vogue during the early 18th century.

A Modest Proposal also targets the calculating way people perceived the poor in designing their projects. The pamphlet targets reformers who "regard people as commodities". In the piece, Swift adopts the "technique of a political arithmetician" to show the utter ridiculousness of trying to prove any proposal with dispassionate statistics"

A great number of posters on HPC seem to countenance the material destruction of other people in the name of saving the nation. Of course I suppose these 'sheeple', welfare claimants, immigrants, young people, boomers are not deserving of respect unlike the rugged individualists of HPC who didn't get where they are today by giving a sh1t about anybody else.

HOLA4421

"It has been argued that Swift’s main target in A Modest Proposal was not the conditions in Ireland, but rather the can-do spirit of the times that led people to devise a number of illogical schemes that would purportedly solve social and economic ills. Swift was especially insulted by projects that tried to fix population and labor issues with a simple cure-all solution. A memorable example of these sorts of schemes "involved the idea of running the poor through a joint-stock company". In response, Swift’s Modest Proposal was "a burlesque of projects concerning the poor", that were in vogue during the early 18th century.

A Modest Proposal also targets the calculating way people perceived the poor in designing their projects. The pamphlet targets reformers who "regard people as commodities". In the piece, Swift adopts the "technique of a political arithmetician" to show the utter ridiculousness of trying to prove any proposal with dispassionate statistics"

A great number of posters on HPC seem to countenance the material destruction of other people in the name of saving the nation. Of course I suppose these 'sheeple', welfare claimants, immigrants, young people, boomers are not deserving of respect unlike the rugged individualists of HPC who didn't get where they are today by giving a sh1t about anybody else.

You're quite right...theres some really nasty, arrogant people on this site.

HOLA4422
HOLA4423

"It has been argued that Swift's main target in A Modest Proposal was not the conditions in Ireland, but rather the can-do spirit of the times that led people to devise a number of illogical schemes that would purportedly solve social and economic ills. Swift was especially insulted by projects that tried to fix population and labor issues with a simple cure-all solution. A memorable example of these sorts of schemes "involved the idea of running the poor through a joint-stock company". In response, Swift's Modest Proposal was "a burlesque of projects concerning the poor", that were in vogue during the early 18th century.

Ser.3 Ep.1:

Reggie tracks down C.J. for his community project, but tells him he will have to 'be nice'.

"I didn't get where I am today by being nice."

Good post, welcome. I don't think anyone on here would seriously countenance the various suggestions seen in this post.

HOLA4424

The national debt and budgetry deficit is a kind of sham issue, which can be used to justify all kinds of policy moves over the coming years.

OECD figues for the current years projected National Debt have it at 59% of GDP, which is lower than USA at 65.2%, France at 60.7%, Italy at 100.8% and Japan at 104.6%.

The annual deficit is projected to be high, but so was last years which came in £31 billion short of anticipated borrowing.

The business cycle moves on, people keep on living, the world turns.

The National Debt will return to being something of no interest to most of us.

HOLA4425

Ser.3 Ep.1:

Reggie tracks down C.J. for his community project, but tells him he will have to 'be nice'.

"I didn't get where I am today by being nice."

Good post, welcome. I don't think anyone on here would seriously countenance the various suggestions seen in this post.

Thanks for the welcome. Glad to see somebody spotted the C.J. reference. Some of the most regular posters on HPC remind me of him.