House Price Crash Forum
geoffk

Should All Employers Who Pay Minimum Wage ?

Should all employers who pay minimum wage be forced to close the business down as they are a drain on the finances of our society?.

While paying minimum wages to working adult people the government will have to subsidise the wages because they are not high enough for a married person to live on..

Crap wages must cost this government a fortune and i don't think the employer who may be taking millions out of the company will ever want to increase them even though his profits might be rising year on year......Is it time to look at these cowboys?

Should all employers who pay minimum wage be forced to close the business down as they are a drain on the finances of our society?.

While paying minimum wages to working adult people the government will have to subsidise the wages because they are not high enough for a married person to live on..

Crap wages must cost this government a fortune and i don't think the employer who may be taking millions out of the company will ever want to increase them even though his profits might be rising year on year......Is it time to look at these cowboys?

Perhaps the most moronic thread on this forum. Congratulations. You are an idiot! :lol:

:lol: This is a joke thread, right?

What are these newly jobless people going to do, after they have been turfed out of their NMW jobs, including the business owners? If you think topping up wages is expensive, try supporting these people with no wages at all.

NMW should be scrapped completely. It is price fixing and puts low earners out of jobs and on to benefits.

Perhaps the most moronic thread on this forum. Congratulations. You are an idiot! :lol:

Why? He is quite correct!

A great bit of prime thinking and 'outing' of the parasitic Globalistas!

The taxpayer is in effect subsidising Global company profits for companies like McDonalds, KFC, Pizza chains etc

They pay minimum wages to staff, who can't live off that wage without Xtra govt/council housing 'subsidies' - ultimately taken from? The taxpayer?

So your 'cheap' meal has already been 'subsidised' by part of your taxes!

Edited by erranta

NMW should be scrapped completely. It is price fixing and puts low earners out of jobs and on to benefits.

Agreed, a citizen's wage (that replaces all other current benefits) would be all that's needed.

Edited by wise_eagle

so you think someone who pays someone £4.83 is to be applauded and deserves credit for that...while other taxpayers pay the top ups. How do we know these so called employers are not making a fortune and just have no conscience enabling them to pay poverty wages (because that is what they are).Or is it OK to pay these rates while living in luxury land,i suppose its whether you care for your society or are just a milk it for all i can person..

so you think someone who pays someone £4.83 is to be applauded and deserves credit for that...while other taxpayers pay the top ups. How do we know these so called employers are not making a fortune and just have no conscience enabling them to pay poverty wages (because that is what they are).Or is it OK to pay these rates while living in luxury land,i suppose its whether you care for your society or are just a milk it for all i can person..

the free market works

the do-gooders and the controllers are fighting against nature - nature will win in the end

the welfare state is collapsing in real time - slowly at the moment but the pace will quicken

...your communism doesn't work...look at North Korea ....on the verge of starvation .... :rolleyes:

Why not increase the minimum wage?

In truth, there is only one way to regard a minimum wage law: it is compulsory unemployment, period. The law says: it is illegal, and therefore criminal, for anyone to hire anyone else below the level of X dollars an hour. This means, plainly and simply, that a large number of free and voluntary wage contracts are now outlawed and hence that there will be a large amount of unemployment. Remember that the minimum wage law provides no jobs; it only outlaws them; and outlawed jobs are the inevitable result.

Read more: Making Economic Sense :: Free classics from the Mises Institute http://mises.org/econsense/ch36.asp#ixzz0p8k9xI5s

I really believe that a few on here would love to see wages at less than a pound a hour..i do wonder what those who disagree with this pay their staff? poor wages and big profits should never ever be in the same group..

the free market does not work and you have all just seen it in action in the last few years crying for a bailout. its a free market until it gets into trouble..

Edited by geoffk

It is not really employers who decide the right level of salaries for their employees.

If they pay less than competing employers, they will not get employees good enough to do the job, and will lose to the competitors.

If they pay more than competing employers, they will have losses, or at lest less profit, and will not be able to expand the business as much as the competitors.

Markets decide these things. Actually, ultimately, it is you who decide, as a consumer.

And it has worked well for a long time, since the renascence/enlightenment/ industrial revolution, despite some crisis, obviously.

Markets (international and domestic) do have lots of problems, of course, but they are far better than the alternatives: mercantilism and economies planned by politicians and bureaucrats.

Why not increase the minimum wage?

Luckily for those mimimum wage employees they likely work in cash handling occupations.

Even CCTV is not infallable so a little "wages top-up" while the boss is on his/her extended lunchbreak probably

goes a long way.

No low wage should be applauded, but if it is all said person can manage to earn, why do you want to put them on the benefits scrap heap?

Most people can demand more than, or equal to, NMW, because they are relatively articulate, willing, hard working etc. Those that, for whatever reason, are not able to demand NMW are pushed out of employment.

If you think that setting NMW to a set price, it will force companies to employ them, you are wrong; either the job will be scrapped as non-viable or it will be automated/computerised/outsourced to India etc. The result is, instead of someone struggling with £5 per hour (while looking for a better job, hopefully), they are forced to stay at home, on benefits. This not only costs the rest of us who have skills/qualities desirable enough to pay more than NMW, but it also gives the unemployable a pretty crappy life, dependant on the state for their existence.

Edited by Traktion

...your communism doesn't work...look at North Korea ....on the verge of starvation .... :rolleyes:

I don't want communism but expect a advanced society to understand that a company as big as McDonalds should be paying its staff more than minimum wages that often need topping up by the state,,,,,,its wrong in so many ways,,

Why? He is quite correct!

A great bit of prime thinking and 'outing' of the parasitic Globalistas!

The taxpayer is in effect subsidising Global company profits for companies like McDonalds, KFC, Pizza chains etc

They pay minimum wages to staff, who can't live off that wage without Xtra govt/council housing 'subsidies' - ultimately taken from? The taxpayer?

So your 'cheap' meal has already been 'subsidised' by part of your taxes!

Many / most of the fast food restaurants that you mention are run on a franchise basis. They are therefore a number of smaller privately owned and run businesses. They pay the going rate for the job, which is NMW.

I have recently sold a restaurant business. Most of my staff were on NMW. If you had closed down my business, you would be supporting me and my family and my head chef's family and all of my staff via the benefits system. Instead of them all being contributing tax payers, they would all be benefits claimants. Multiply this hundreds of thousands of times around the country, and you would destroy the entire economy with in a month............which is even faster than Gordon Brown!

As an employer I was not raking in millions. The OP is living in cloud cuckoo land.

Ask yourself why the minimum wage is not sufficient to live on? Mainly due to housing costs. Reduce the cost of housing and the problem is solved. (NB You might also have to get the general population to reassess what are essentials, and what are luxuries.)

the free market works

the do-gooders and the controllers are fighting against nature - nature will win in the end

the welfare state is collapsing in real time - slowly at the moment but the pace will quicken

+ 1

Although I think Europe will not be able to, politically, reform the welfare state deep enough far enough, and will "go down" * with it. Europe will be "behind the curve" for the next 50 years in these reforms.

* = Perhaps not in absolute terms, but at least in relation to competitors, like America (they can cut the welfare state, if needed) and emerging countries, such as the BRICs.

Edited by Tired of Waiting

I don't want communism but expect a advanced society to understand that a company as big as McDonalds should be paying its staff more than minimum wages that often need topping up by the state,,,,,,its wrong in so many ways,,

So if you work for Macdonalds you are worth more and should be paid more, but if you work in the local pub and the publican can only afford £5.77 per hour, you should lose your job? Is that what you re saying?

No low wage should be applauded, but if it is all said person can manage to earn, why do you want to put them on the benefits scrap heap?

Most people can demand more than, or equal to, NMW, because they are relatively articulate, willing, hard working etc. Those that, for whatever reason, are not able to demand NMW are pushed out of employment.

If you think that setting NMW to a set price, it will force companies to employ them, you are wrong; either the job will be scrapped as non-viable or it will be automated/computerised/outsourced to India etc. The result is, instead of someone struggling with £5 per hour (while looking for a better job, hopefully), they are forced to stay at home, on benefits. This not only costs the rest of us who have skills/qualities desirable enough to pay more than NMW, but it also gives the unemployable a pretty crappy life, dependant on the state for their existence.

You and i know these people are trapped on these level of wages for life because employers know the poor sods have no choice but to take the crumbs being offered.

Perhaps those people who earn minimum wages should be forced into re-training instead of colluding with

their employer to rip off the taxpayer.

Check what is the profit margin of McDonalds. I bet you will be surprised. Then check how many employees it has, and by how much you would increase their salaries if you shared all the profits with all employees. I bet, again, that you will be very surprised.

...McDonalds is an apprenticeship for quality service....the skills learned stand them well when they move on.... :rolleyes: