House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Nationwide Warning On House Prices

The Government's proposed spending cuts and the likely Bank of england interest rate rise could combine to push down house prices towards the end of 2011, the nationwide warned as it unveiled a near-halving of its annual profit.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/article-1281679/Nationwide-warning-house-prices.html#ixzz0p7NSCn2r

OMG! Something everyone needs to get cheaper! What shall we do? Who can save us now? Quick, everyone borrow some money and buy a house before it's too late...

Seems like we have a watered down gentle warning on the coming hpc from Nationwide here, so they don't panic people too much, too quickly.

I wonder if this means they have a negative figure coming up for May's house prices?

Seems like we have a watered down gentle warning on the coming hpc from Nationwide here, so they don't panic people too much, too quickly.

I wonder if this means they have a negative figure coming up for May's house prices?

+1.. Plus they can also claim to have warned about it when it happens. Don't blame us guv!

Yebbut the interesting thing is that this is in the Mail. It's the second beary story in 2 days in that rag.

Almost as if there were a political agenda at work to plant the seeds of lower house prices...

The funny thing is....over the last 2 years they've sold lots of OVERPRICED HOUSES to LOTS OF IDIOTS with 30%+ deposits.

If prices drops another 20-30% then they can offset a lot of their losses with the money the idiots have spent.

Thank you idiots, you have helped us no end.

Edited by TheCountOfNowhere

>The Government's proposed spending cuts and the likely Bank of england interest rate rise could combine to push down house prices towards the end of 2011, the nationwide warned as it unveiled a near-halving of its annual profit.

I really don't think that is the main issue, it's the £300-400Bn the banks need to find over the next couple of years to keep funding mortgages. When they agreed to mortgages during the boom, the banks did not have funding in place for the duration. They have to roll over these loans and the MBS market is still dead.

If they don't sort that, there will be zero new mortgages issued and mass repossessions.

VMR.

So is there any downside?

Yes.

Under the forthcoming emergency 'House a fellow citizen order', those that have will be required to house those that used to have, & are barred from having again due to their credit record.

Sorry.

Yes.

Under the forthcoming emergency 'House a fellow citizen order', those that have will be required to house those that used to have, & are barred from having again due to their credit record.

Sorry.

Actually I think that's an excellent idea.

Any householder having their mortgage interest paid by the social should be compelled to make roomes available, free,

to benefit claimants.

That will get some value for money for the taxpayer and hurt professional landlords.

Actually I think that's an excellent idea.

Any householder having their mortgage interest paid by the social should be compelled to make roomes available, free,

to benefit claimants.

That will get some value for money for the taxpayer and hurt professional landlords.

Possible the second most sensible thing I've heard on here for 5 years.

I really don't think that is the main issue, it's the £300-400Bn the banks need to find over the next couple of years to keep funding mortgages. When they agreed to mortgages during the boom, the banks did not have funding in place for the duration. They have to roll over these loans and the MBS market is still dead.

If they don't sort that, there will be zero new mortgages issued and mass repossessions.

VMR.

VMR, is it feesible for the govt to underwrite future mortgages and stop repo's to annul the effects of the SLS ending ? im convinced they have more sneaky plans than Roger the Dodger. I feel they may also do some sort of homebuyer initiative which will involve a back door refinancing of lenders.

I dont believe they 'cant do it'.

VMR, is it feesible for the govt to underwrite future mortgages and stop repo's to annul the effects of the SLS ending ?

The precedent is the US, with government backing of Freddie and Fannie (+FHA?). I understand 90% of US mortgages are effectively govt backed now.

VMR.

I have just put my house on the market, as I do need a bigger house. I may rent for a while if I can get a sale this year but I don’t expect it to happen anytime soon.

I spoke the guy who did the EPC on Tuesday and he has never been so busy.

He did confirm that most of his clients were soon to be ex BTL landlords never seen so many coming to market, as for the others most just has a different reason to sell.

The guy who fitted the for sale sign outside my house one hour ago just confirmed it. He is installing 30 a day and for the last few weeks easy 200 a week. My area is only selling about 40 a month between 8 estate agents. I also asked him how may “sold” do you add to the signs a week? He said on a good week about 8 but usually 5. Is this the start of capitulation?

FFS, I can't wait that long!

25% in 12 months or I shall be mightily p!ssed of

For your sake I hope I'm wrong but I really can't see 25% in two years let alone 12 months... in fact I think you might count yourself lucky if you see it within 5 years... my money is still on the long and slow scenario.