House Price Crash Forum
Analysis

Lobby Your Mp Today!

In my opinion we must get on and lobby our own MPs to get this 40% CGT thing through. At the moment I suspect the landlords association and multi-home owners are winning - I saw that the coalition has already softened its proposals today to keep CGT on second homes / BTL as low as possible. This is not in our interests.

If you feel strongly about this, you can email your MP. I did this and also emailed George Osborne the same letter. I have reproduced this below if you just want to copy and paste. It is easy to find your MP's email address using Google. To contact the Treasury you can use:

ministers@hm-treasury.gov.uk

It'll only take you 5 minutes and may save you a fortune when you buy a house next year...

Dear ,

Between the years of 1997 and 2010, UK house prices went up around 2.5 times. In the same period, wages and inflation went up by considerably less. As a result, hard working first time buyers cannot buy until they are 37 years of age on average. Many have shared ownership of property – they take on huge debts to buy just part of a house or flat. Most young people find this extremely dispiriting and de-motivating.

Conservative governments traditionally favour those who work hard and endeavour to support themselves, believing that people should be rewarded for trying to better themselves and society. For this reason, I believe the new government would want to return to a stage where hard working young people can a buy a property of their own to live in.

House prices raging out of control, and the subsequent unprecedented taxpayer bailout of the banks should have been avoidable if:

1) House prices had been included in inflation targets

2) Mortgage finance had been limited to ‘safer’ levels

3) Second homes and buy-to-let property were taxed at the same level as income or above, without taper relief, indexation or other allowances to favour first home ownership

I understand that the new government intends to implement 1) and 3) and I urge you to make sure this is done. The alternative is to face a disenfranchised younger population, with no incentive to work hard to get a place of their own. The country is at risk of a further debt fuelled economic crash. Investors’ funds would move into assets and projects which benefit the economy (perhaps building new homes), instead of raising house prices and by default overall debt levels.

A generation of non-property owners is increasingly angry about government intervention to keep house prices high. Taxpayers money has been used to support prices and this tax is paid by all of us - including those who have been priced out by the system. I believe that you must try and change this.

Second home ownership and buy-to-let must come second place to allowing tomorrow’s first home owners the chance of realising their dreams. I urge you to implement these policies.

Yours sincerely,

Guest happy?

In my opinion we must get on and lobby our own MPs to get this 40% CGT thing through. At the moment I suspect the landlords association and multi-home owners are winning - I saw that the coalition has already softened its proposals today to keep CGT on second homes / BTL as low as possible. This is not in our interests.

If you feel strongly about this, you can email your MP. I did this and also emailed George Osborne the same letter. I have reproduced this below if you just want to copy and paste. It is easy to find your MP's email address using Google. To contact the Treasury you can use:

It'll only take you 5 minutes and may save you a fortune when you buy a house next year...

Dear ,

Between the years of 1997 and 2010, UK house prices went up around 2.5 times. In the same period, wages and inflation went up by considerably less. As a result, hard working first time buyers cannot buy until they are 37 years of age on average. Many have shared ownership of property – they take on huge debts to buy just part of a house or flat. Most young people find this extremely dispiriting and de-motivating.

Conservative governments traditionally favour those who work hard and endeavour to support themselves, believing that people should be rewarded for trying to better themselves and society. For this reason, I believe the new government would want to return to a stage where hard working young people can a buy a property of their own to live in.

House prices raging out of control, and the subsequent unprecedented taxpayer bailout of the banks should have been avoidable if:

2) Mortgage finance had been limited to 'safer' levels

3) Second homes and buy-to-let property were taxed at the same level as income or above, without taper relief, indexation or other allowances to favour first home ownership

I understand that the new government intends to implement 1) and 3) and I urge you to make sure this is done. The alternative is to face a disenfranchised younger population, with no incentive to work hard to get a place of their own. The country is at risk of a further debt fuelled economic crash. Investors' funds would move into assets and projects which benefit the economy (perhaps building new homes), instead of raising house prices and by default overall debt levels.

A generation of non-property owners is increasingly angry about government intervention to keep house prices high. Taxpayers money has been used to support prices and this tax is paid by all of us - including those who have been priced out by the system. I believe that you must try and change this.

Second home ownership and buy-to-let must come second place to allowing tomorrow's first home owners the chance of realising their dreams. I urge you to implement these policies.

Yours sincerely,

My only question - I want to become a non-property owner - can I get tax relief against any non-properties I own?

IMO the crucial point to get across is: Don't let Redwood get away with lumping spivs and speculators in with people who create genuine value. No need for excessive detail.

Good letter - succinctly put. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Good letter - succinctly put. Thanks for taking the time. :)

Just added to the Pricedout forum: http://www.pricedout.org.uk/Forum/tabid/56/forumid/1/view/topics/Default.aspx

The anti CGT lobby grows louder every day and it looks as though George Osborne is seriously considering watering this down. This will fuel massive house price rises. Lobby now if you don't want this! 1500 from the National Landlord's association already...we should have 15000 from HPC

Here's mine - not quite as flowery. I thought I'd spare him the history lesson!

Dear Andrew,

Having read about MPs being deluged with emails complaining about the prospect of capital gains tax being levied at an equivalent of income tax I thought it only fair to send my support for such a measure.

From what I gather genuine entrepreneurial activity will be protected from such a rise and the main group of complainants are second / holiday home owners. This group have (on paper) benefited from a massive windfall over the past 12 years, much of which I believe has been due to speculation and cheap credit rather than any of the supply and demand arguments presented in the mainstream. *This is of no benefit to the real economy and has in effect priced out an entire generation in areas such as Cornwall*.

I could rant on this subject at great length, but will spare you that! And for the record I probably have a vested interest in CGT remaining low.

In short I think there is a good moral case for higher capital gains tax on an asset class that has no socio-economic benefit to the general population.

Best regards,

Chris

Surely the Lib Dems wont let this policy be scrapped?

Hesitation from them now... if they do drop it then they are just the Tories' lapdogs... That Evan Harris hesitated at the end of his talk with Vine.

Just used writetothem to email Vince Cable. Might do David Laws also - anyone know a postcode for his constituency so I can type it into writetothem?

err....have you tried googling for 'estate agents in (insert town/city)'

Just pick a postcode and use any old name.

Here's mine - not quite as flowery. I thought I'd spare him the history lesson!

Here's my little effort. I thought I'd share it as well, for what it's worth..

I believe MPs tend to ignore obvious "cut and paste lobbying" when they get thousands of emails all the same, so the more variables we have the better I think.

Yours.

B

Re: The welcome proposal to increase Capital Gains Tax in the budget

Dear ......

I'm sure that you're going to get a lot of lobbying from powerful vested interests on this issue.

Landlord Zone and other interested websites have already posted the email addresses, of key players like George Osborne and Vince Cable, with strong exhortations to begin intensive lobbying campaigns, aimed to persuade you to change your approach on the CGT increase.

Whilst all that noise is coming in your direction, please can I - and hundreds of thousands of others like me, possibly millions – implore you and your colleagues in the Cabinet to stick to your guns on this issue?

Contrary to the message that I know the VI's are pushing, there will be no housing shortage in the rented sector created by Landlords having to sell up their property portfolios. What will actually happen, if you go through with this excellent proposal, will be that additional volumes of property will come onto the market, as some multiple property owners decide to sell and avoid the increased tax, thus reducing prices to a level that First Time Buyers can actually afford, and there will be an equitable rebalancing of a currently very unbalanced market.

I believe you have a significant opportunity here, to correct one of the biggest social injustices of the last 13 years of Labour mismanagement – and in reality you are only reversing a decision that was made relatively recently, to reduce CGT on second properties to 18%. Therefore, despite the posturing of the various vested interests, it's far from the most draconian move you will have to make in the coming months.

At the same time, the lower cost of housing will mean that UK citizens will have more cash to spend, so they can channel it into the economy to fuel growth.

Finally, and maybe most importantly at a macro-economic level, the Treasury will benefit from a significant tax take, and you will be able to redirect investment from non-productive assets and rent-seeking, into genuinely productive activities that will start to lift our nation out of recession.

· You'll also simply be taking back just a proportion of the huge capital gains, that have been made from speculative – not productive – activity in recent years; gains which have been handsomely supported and subsidised by Government policy, and by taxpayers' cash.

· From this point of view, there really is very little room for those affected to claim that an injustice has been done, with any degree of credibility.

Overall, from an economic and social point of view, what's not to like?!

Again, may I take this opportunity to strongly encourage you, and all your Ministerial and Treasury colleagues, to stick to your principles here, and make what will be a significant statement from both an economic and social point of view?

Yours sincerely.

Edited by buzzardo

Just used writetothem to email Vince Cable. Might do David Laws also - anyone know a postcode for his constituency so I can type it into writetothem?

David Laws is Yeovil

BA21 5BW is the post code of Yeovil Golf Club

Edit Again, but that's in Oliver Letwin's constituency

BA20 1HB is the Lib Dem Constituency office in Yeovil

Edited by RDW

C'mon folks, let's keep this on the front page, and keep the emails going in.

The VI's are going completely mad lobbying against the CGT changes - so we need to really keep on top of this one.

With respect to Grizzly Bear, f**k Mumsnet; this is way more important.

B

Guest The Relaxation Suite

Dear ,

2) Mortgage finance had been limited to ‘safer’ levels

I understand that the new government intends to implement 1) and 3) and I urge you to make sure this is done. The alternative is to face a disenfranchised younger population, with no incentive to work hard to get a place of their own. The country is at risk of a further debt fuelled economic crash. Investors’ funds would move into assets and projects which benefit the economy (perhaps building new homes), instead of raising house prices and by default overall debt levels.

Second home ownership and buy-to-let must come second place to allowing tomorrow’s first home owners the chance of realising their dreams. I urge you to implement these policies.

Yours sincerely,

Well done for putting this together - action rather than words. I'lladd though that you talk of the Tories traditionally helping people but it's the Liberals in this coalition pushing for the 40%.

Thanks for this. Done.

I just emailed David Cameron's office (No 10 website) and Vince Cable, more along the lines of taxpayers supporting house prices and now needing some payback from those who have benefitted. First time buyers have paid to fund high house prices, and are now further out of the market!

Keep sending them in!