House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Mr. Miyagi

Greggs

The Missus just popped into town so I asked her to get me one of my favorite Greggs French Bread Pizzas for lunch. After much waiting she arrived without said pizza but with some freeking horrible chewy mini pizza. Gutted, seems they don't do them anymore :angry:

Hooray!

After several attempts to make pizza at home to be greeted by 'its not as nice as Pizza Hut', I made them this weekend using home-baked baguettes, to be told that 'they're not as nice as Gregg's'.

I can now tell my children they are soooo wrong!

Guest X-QUORK

It's a shame Greggs have wiped out independent bakers the length and breadth of the country, but I feel your pain OP.

It's a shame Greggs have wiped out independent bakers the length and breadth of the country, but I feel your pain OP.

They haven't where I live, pretty much everything else has gone, butchers, green grocers and fishmongers but where I live and most of the shopping places in the area there are loads of independant or small chain bakers. It seems to be the one thing people still cling on to.

In London you get neither Greggs nor proper bakers. Up North, both seem to be aplenty.

Consider yourself lucky! Dutch have good cake shops but don't really do pasties/pies :(

Instead they are obsessed with red meats and cheese!

In London you get neither Greggs nor proper bakers. Up North, both seem to be aplenty.

Consider yourself lucky! Dutch have good cake shops but don't really do pasties/pies :(

Instead they are obsessed with red meats and cheese!

Don't really do pies and pasties unless homemade, the pastry in bakers/shop bought ones give me horrific indigestion :ph34r:

:huh:

There must be (sadly) over a hundred Greggs in London.

Hate to admit it but I do on occassion eat their Steak Bakes but I feel dirty afterwards.........

Hate to admit it but I do on occassion eat their Steak Bakes but I feel dirty afterwards.........

I had a McDonalds the other day, I still feel dirty.

I know where two independents still exist next to, and round the corner from Greggs.

The quality is higher, although the cost is higher than Greggs. My guess is that people who buy from Greggs will eat any old crap, the same lowest common people who would choose McDonalds over Burger King, even if the cost were the same. (McDonalds = Toy Food)

Which then leads me to believe that some towns can support quality independent sandwich shops and bakers, only when their clientele are that way inclined. Of course, the independents who produce crap will always be trumped by heavy advertising and prime locations.

I never saw a single one in over a decade of living there. Pray tell, where are they?

I used to love those things about 20 or 30 years ago - used to get them frozen in places like Sainsburys and Iceland, pop them in the oven for 30 minutes... Gosh, that brings back memories... crunchy and very moorish... I wonder if they still sell them...

I never saw a single one in over a decade of living there. Pray tell, where are they?

I've lived here for nearly 40 and they're everywhere, not sure how you missed them tbh

Have a look here, each one represents a Greggs, looks like I may have underestimated how many there were

There's 1400 in the UK, that's twice the amount of locations have that Starbucks and 200 more than Mcdonalds

that's a bit depressing actually

I used to love those things about 20 or 30 years ago - used to get them frozen in places like Sainsburys and Iceland, pop them in the oven for 30 minutes... Gosh, that brings back memories... crunchy and very moorish... I wonder if they still sell them...

Yeah, you know you need one MT.

Don't really do pies and pasties unless homemade, the pastry in bakers/shop bought ones give me horrific indigestion :ph34r:

Indeed. Being a geordie and living less than half a mile from head office, i love greggs pasties and sausage rolls but why do they burn like fire in your stomach? My guess is refined white wheat?

Indeed. Being a geordie and living less than half a mile from head office, i love greggs pasties and sausage rolls but why do they burn like fire in your stomach? My guess is refined white wheat?

Then stop eating them.

Thanks for the link to Greggs in London. I notice they are in very odd places eh? Dotted around odd places in N, SW, SE London. Few in the centre though that I can't believe I missed.

Incidentally, don't you just love the East European chicks at Benjys? Does Benjys still exist?

You bāstards - it's 11.30 and I'm hungry and the car's in for a service and I can't get to Greggs for some lard now you've got me going.

I had an apple and a pear but it's just not doing it for me.

Thanks for the link to Greggs in London. I notice they are in very odd places eh? Dotted around odd places in N, SW, SE London. Few in the centre though that I can't believe I missed.

Incidentally, don't you just love the East European chicks at Benjys? Does Benjys still exist?

Nope Benjys has gone. There is a Greggs in Soho of all places, I have to admit a weakness for their sausage rolls.... I think they put crack in them.

Hooray!

After several attempts to make pizza at home to be greeted by 'its not as nice as Pizza Hut', I made them this weekend using home-baked baguettes, to be told that 'they're not as nice as Gregg's'.

I can now tell my children they are soooo wrong!

Try using Monterey Jack, Mozzarella, Mature Cheddar and Red Leicester for the cheese and piles of veggie/meatiness arranged in a doughnut (so the topping doesn't just slide off the pointy bit when you cut it up) and piled about two inches high.

The Stone baked bases from Asda are really nice to use.