House Price Crash Forum
refusnik

Average Full Time Earnings In The Uk Is €46,000

Only think I can think of: it's in Euros, not Pounds, and it may be joint household salary.

Even that still seems high though: works out at £40k per household. I guess it could be right if it was a 25/15k split on main/other breadwinner.

Still, the BBC don't make that obvious though.

The hint is 'eurostat', from the European commission. The whole point of Europe is to take money of rich countries to help poor countries, of course the UK will be flagged as the richest country. I wonder if this also includes Employeers National Insurance Contributions?

All the data appears to be available here, but there appears to be alot of missing data:

http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/portal/page/portal/eurostat/home/

Edited by AteMoose

Perhaps they just surveyed bankers and top grade public sector workers?

It also says average and not median; median is a better figure to use IMO.

Only think I can think of: it's in Euros, not Pounds, and it may be joint household salary.

Even that still seems high though: works out at £40k per household. I guess it could be right if it was a 25/15k split on main/other breadwinner.

Unless the staffer doing the chart remembered that on his last holiday it was 1.5 Euros to the pound and used that figure..

I'm not seeing the UK earnings though. Sorry if it's right in front of my eyes, but I've looked twice.
It's in grey at the very top. We are the richest people in Europe now.

I assumed that unemployment statistics is per capita and has no relation to household structure. Also, you cannot apply definition of "full time" to a household.

This is shocking - about twice off of what I thought would be a right figure (ca. £20K.)

Does this mean the UK might be earmarked by the EU bureaucrats for extra milking?

Edited by refusnik

Its a mistake. The beeb have got it wrong. Email them if you're bothered.

Eurostat compiles stats from each of the national agencies - the ONS in the UK. ONS gives figure as about £28K IIRC (that's for men - so overall figure should be a bit less)

One premiership footballer on 5 million + 250 nurses on 20 grand gives an average of 40 grand but tells you nothing about a representative average. Statements giving the average income in the UK are meaningless in a country with such a wide disparity in income levels between the majority and the minority.

One premiership footballer on 5 million + 250 nurses on 20 grand gives an average of 40 grand but tells you nothing about a representative average. Statements giving the average income in the UK are meaningless in a country with such a wide disparity in income levels between the majority and the minority.

I can assure you that the income difference between a famous player in Italy's Serie A and nurses working in the local hospital is just as great if not greater. From personal experience, pay in the UK is generally much higher than for a corresponding job in Italy, even with sterling weakened against the Euro.

I can assure you that the income difference between a famous player in Italy's Serie A and nurses working in the local hospital is just as great if not greater. From personal experience, pay in the UK is generally much higher than for a corresponding job in Italy, even with sterling weakened against the Euro.

Yet the GDP per capita is similar?

Something doesn't compute.

That used to be the case when 1 GBP was 1.5 EUR. These days with the current exchange rate salaries are much more similar (but still slightly higher in the UK compared to Italy).

Still doesn't explain the figures in that slide, also notice the colour of the Britsh island is not coloured according to the unemployment as all other countries are.

Seems either done by a 5 year old or deliberately false.

Edit to add:

Ireland's income seems incorrect too.

Never trust a statistic you haven't falsified yourself.

Edited by wise_eagle

Maybe 47,000 is the modal average....? laugh.gif

Most common? Doubt it... thats probably going to be minimum wage for 38 hours aweek... whatever that is!

Still doesn't explain the figures in that slide, also notice the colour of the Britsh island is not coloured according to the unemployment as all other countries are. Seems either done by a 5 year old or deliberately false.

Grey colour is because we are outside the € zone.

on average, these reports are 100% 8ollox

Is this HOUSEHOLD income?

Average income in UK is circa 25K per year and medium is 29K per year. So says the ONS.

on average, these reports are 100% 8ollox

So would that be the median then?

I assume by that you mean the average report is 100% ****** - rather than 100% of all reports are ******? Which then implies that up to 50% of all such reports are less than 100% ******, and therefore contain some level of truth.

Unless of course you are using a conservative approach to ensure that you are not overstating the size of the problem (which would be entirely sensible). But then again, the average could be the same for the min and max values of ******, so on average, averages can be pretty misleading.

Is this HOUSEHOLD income?

Average income in UK is circa 25K per year and medium is 29K per year. So says the ONS.

Median. Type of average.

Mean also type of average.

Useful to know the difference when looking at these stats, and even more useful to know what type of average they are using.

It'd be much simpler if we just banned the unqualified use of the word 'average'. So we don't need to guess if its mean, median or mode each time something like this is posted.