House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

Any Twitchers (Bird Watchers) Here?

What?huh.gif No condemnation for the sparrowhawk or heron? Strange this dislike so many seem to show for the magpie. It gets a lot of bad press and I think a lot of it is undeserved. It is no more cruel than a lot of other birds, and killing them IS illegal.

The bird whose neck I most felt like wringing was the heron: Bluddy thing. It picked off several ducklings from one hen's brood over a couple of days. Rotten to behold, but one has to realise that they ALL have young, and are programmed to kill for them, and for themselves.

"Nature red in tooth and claw" - How I wish they - and we - could all be 'veggies', but it would mean we'd be overrun, I guess.

No no, don't dislike the magpie, they're pretty, bright birds. They do what they do, like any other animal.

There are often too many of them though, due to lack of predation, their predators have mostly been eliminated by us, and the proliferation of roadkill has allowed them to multiply beyond their natural numbers. So I (used to) redress the balance a little, to allow the little birds in my Mums garden to breed.

Herons are opportunists, bit surprised the hen mallard didn't show fight though.

Where I am now in Australia the birdlife is incredible. I love birds myself, probably goes some way to explaining my dislike for cats as I couldn't tolerate a cat killing a bird. Nature red in tooth etc. I know, but I'll still punt it's **** for it.

The other day I saw an enormous cockatoo in the wild which was quite something and there are flocks of the most wonderful little parrots that fly around here called lorikeets which have the effect of cheering me up every time I see them. Here they are:

Rainbow_Lorikeets.jpg

And of course everyones favourite, flaming or otherwise:

galah.jpg

Speaking of magpies the Aussie ones are a different kettle of fish altogether, they have a season "maggie season" as it's known here where they will attack you visciously if you get too close to it's nest. I've been on the receiving end of it myself and I can assure you it hurts.

The do have the most incredible warble though, if you can listen to it over the net I would, utterly unique.

Be afraid....

Magpie.JPG

Guest theboltonfury

Where I am now in Australia the birdlife is incredible. I love birds myself, probably goes some way to explaining my dislike for cats as I couldn't tolerate a cat killing a bird. Nature red in tooth etc. I know, but I'll still punt it's **** for it.

The other day I saw an enormous cockatoo in the wild which was quite something and there are flocks of the most wonderful little parrots that fly around here called lorikeets which have the effect of cheering me up every time I see them. Here they are:

Rainbow_Lorikeets.jpg

And of course everyones favourite, flaming or otherwise:

galah.jpg

I reckon you're sleeping rough at London Zoo.

I reckon you're sleeping rough at London Zoo.

:lol:

Don't get me started on the enormous fruit bats either, my missus won't leave the house without a cross, a vial of Holy water and supply of hardwood stakes.

Guest theboltonfury

:lol:

Don't get me started on the enormous fruit bats either, my missus won't leave the house without a cross, a vial of Holy water and supply of hardwood stakes.

That's the trouble with Australia. You can be killed by any number of things just by pottering around in the garden.

Guest X-QUORK

:lol::lol: @ KD and TBF...you two could be the next Two Ronnies.

How fantastic to see parrots in the wild KD, I'm bloody jealous!

Guest theboltonfury

:lol::lol: @ KD and TBF...you two could be the next Two Ronnies.

How fantastic to see parrots in the wild KD, I'm bloody jealous!

You only need to go to Kensington Park to see flocks of Ring necked parakeets!

Ps, can I be Ronnie Barker? Kingding is only 5ft 4ins

Guest AuntJess

No no, don't dislike the magpie, they're pretty, bright birds. They do what they do, like any other animal.

There are often too many of them though, due to lack of predation, their predators have mostly been eliminated by us, and the proliferation of roadkill has allowed them to multiply beyond their natural numbers. So I (used to) redress the balance a little, to allow the little birds in my Mums garden to breed.

Herons are opportunists, bit surprised the hen mallard didn't show fight though.

She did ...but one time she did not notice. Not all ducks are good mums, tho'. Some are just plain clueless.I love ducks. If I won the lottery I'd buy a house with land and have my own little sanctuary, for a number of animals.biggrin.gif

I am not averse to 'culling' of any species, when there are large numbers, but feel it needs to be humane. Shooting with an air rifle is a bit off, unless you promptly wring its neck...skilfully.

We need to cull a few more bird types. The pigeons around and about here, nick food offa my birdtable/feeders meant for the little 'dickys.' As a result they are built like jumbo jets.

There is more than one way to threaten a species and too much competition for food is as bad as being picked off by predators.sad.gif

What?huh.gif No condemnation for the sparrowhawk or heron? Strange this dislike so many seem to show for the magpie. It gets a lot of bad press and I think a lot of it is undeserved. It is no more cruel than a lot of other birds, and killing them IS illegal.

The bird whose neck I most felt like wringing was the heron: Bluddy thing. It picked off several ducklings from one hen's brood over a couple of days. Rotten to behold, but one has to realise that they ALL have young, and are programmed to kill for them, and for themselves.

"Nature red in tooth and claw" - How I wish they - and we - could all be 'veggies', but it would mean we'd be overrun, I guess.

Are you sure? They are on the general licence. Anyhow last night while fishing I was woken up at about 11.30pm by the sound of numerous Magpies having a set to with a pair of Tawny Owls in the trees behind me. This morning when I woke up at 4.30 there was a roebuck browsing the bankside vegetation about 15 feet away from where I was sleeping, but I scared him off slowly trying to reach for my camera. Spent the rest of the morning watching the waterfowl go about their business as the sun struggled to burn the mist of the water. I think the Heron caught more than I did.

Had a Goshawk in the Garden eating a woodpigeon last year....very impressive beast.

we had one last year do the same - well wife thinks it was I reckon it was a female Sparrowhawk - I wasnt in and the picture on the camera is too small to tell

the kids were fascinated - but we have been unable to convince them that they also eat naughty children

Guest AuntJess

Are you sure? They are on the general licence. Anyhow last night while fishing I was woken up at about 11.30pm by the sound of numerous Magpies having a set to with a pair of Tawny Owls in the trees behind me. This morning when I woke up at 4.30 there was a roebuck browsing the bankside vegetation about 15 feet away from where I was sleeping, but I scared him off slowly trying to reach for my camera. Spent the rest of the morning watching the waterfowl go about their business as the sun struggled to burn the mist of the water. I think the Heron caught more than I did.

Not 100%. I seem to feel that I read somewhere that they are off limits, but maybe it wasn't a UK article. I could not inflict unnecessary suffering on any animal, and am appalled at those who could.

I'm going to spend the afternoon at Martin Mere wetlands. I am a mad keen birder. If there are any others on here, what's the best/rarest/most exhilarating bird (not Kelly Brook or similar) you've seen in the UK?

http://www.rspb.org.uk/reserves/guide/b/balranald/

lived just down the road from here for a few years

the bird life, tho still very impressive has been damaged by the

hedgehogs introduction a few years ago

best bird I saw there

must be the Golden Eagle

its like a flying door

if you love nature then there isnt a better place

wild ponies an abundance of sea life ,the 1st landfall

for most trans Atlantic birds, hurricane force winds

and wild seas make it quite a unique experience

oh and beaches that piss on the Caribbean