House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Scunnered

Fat Cars = More Crashes

From the Scotsman: Does my bumper look big in this? Fatter cars put squeeze on roads.

THE modern automobile has put a twist on the term 'crash' diet. While "smart cars" can slip into the tightest parking space, a new generation of "fat cars" are revealed to be causing havoc on rural roads.

According to a new report, cars are witnessing an ever- expanding waistline which has become a "major contributory factor" in crashes on minor rural roads, while the chunkier car has also become a hazard in urban streets where residential roads are almost rendered impassable by parked vehicles.

Cars have grown by up to ten inches in width as manufacturers responded to demands for more comfortable interiors and extra safety measures.

BMW's Mini is now 1,683mm wide compared to the diminutive 1,422mm girth of the last Rover Mini sold up until 2001 – an extra ten-and-a-quarter inches. The German firm's 3 Series has expanded by 192mm since 1992 – equivalent to seven-and-a-half inches more.

[cotsinues...]

So are the cars getting fatter to accommodate the large modern Briton, or what?

From the Scotsman: Does my bumper look big in this? Fatter cars put squeeze on roads.

Um, what.

More saftey equipment and a mantra that bigger is better. Every time a new model is launched it's slightly bigger and slightly longer; and the price goes up. The current Polo is bigger than the original Golf.

I'm surfing down the bands to stay the same. I started with Cavalier size, moved to Astra size and am now likely to go down to Corsa size. The current Mondeo is stupidly big, great on motorways but rubbish in towns and when you need to find a parking space. I wouldn't consider buying it.

the new Ford Monado is wider than my previous performance car and almost a foot longer. I like a big car but it wont fit in a normal parking space, I have to fold the mirrors in to get it into the garage and if it was 1 inch wider it would be too big. I got it because it was a normal sensible car...

Um, what.

More saftey equipment and a mantra that bigger is better. Every time a new model is launched it's slightly bigger and slightly longer; and the price goes up. The current Polo is bigger than the original Golf.

I'm surfing down the bands to stay the same. I started with Cavalier size, moved to Astra size and am now likely to go down to Corsa size. The current Mondeo is stupidly big, great on motorways but rubbish in towns and when you need to find a parking space. I wouldn't consider buying it.

Really Frank, I'd have thought you were used to driving larger vehicles.

Nah the lack of awareness and I'm in a big car and thus can't be hurt mentality (heh a guy I know on a motorbike was hit head on by a speeding car, the bike went through the passenger cabin putting the two people in ICU for ages while he got up unhurt rare though)

Have a look at this:

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

Bikers are rarely caught out by this, as their road awareness survival techniques mean they do not fixate and non fixation is a technique to ride faster.

While car drivers get caught out all the time with it

Guest X-QUORK

It's hard to show off how rich and successful you are in a puny Citroen Saxo.

Not to mention how huge your **** is.

The more large cars driven by people who can't fit them in a standard parking bay the better. I have no trouble shoehorning my Corsa in to the numerous parking spots they pull up alongside, weigh up, reverse a bit then zoom off because they can't fit in. :lol:

This has been focus grouped to death; people want "their" car to be bigger, so we end up with bigger cars across the industry.

But the as the vehicles scale up there ends up being more overlap between the segments, more vehicles in niche segments, think Kuga / C-Max and the development of new segments, think Sub B and the Ka. While some people buy their vehicle according to need and size, many don’t.

I'm in a new Fiesta, an absolutely stunning vehicle and impossible to compare with the vehicle that carried the same name 15 years ago. Which is strange as the brand recognition remains but the product is different.

the new Ford Monado is wider than my previous performance car and almost a foot longer. I like a big car but it wont fit in a normal parking space, I have to fold the mirrors in to get it into the garage and if it was 1 inch wider it would be too big. I got it because it was a normal sensible car...

Once in your garage, do you get in and out through the sunroof? huh.gif

I'm just downsizing from a VW Bora to a 3-yo Fiesta - saves 18" in length and 4.5" in width.

A Bora saloon is only 5" shorter than a 70s VW camper and just under half an inch wider!

It's a real problem round my part of Town. Parking spaces are a bit cramped, so often get a lot of dings, and I gather there's a rising trend of people putting their backs out after performing contortions to get out of parked cars.

Councils are also ticketing cars for being too wide for the spaces - so even when you are touching the kerb, sometimes part of the car exceeds the space width... result £120 going their way.

Tighter roads, with wider cars parked on both sides, and wider cars trying to pass - at an average of only 6 inches wider thats a whole 2 feet more road space taken up. Once it hits 12 inches each suddenly we are using an additional 4 feet of width - almost an entire car!

Have a look at this:

http://www.msf-usa.org/motion.html

Bikers are rarely caught out by this, as their road awareness survival techniques mean they do not fixate and non fixation is a technique to ride faster.

While car drivers get caught out all the time with it

Interesting demo. Seems to work for me if I look at the yellows too.

I'm just downsizing from a VW Bora to a 3-yo Fiesta - saves 18" in length and 4.5" in width.

A Bora saloon is only 5" shorter than a 70s VW camper and just under half an inch wider!

Possibly a slightly misleading comparison as, so far as I recall the old VW camper was based on the same floor pan as the old beetle. A more intersting one is to campare the weight of the BMW 3 series with the old 2002.The 3 series come in around the 15,00kg mark while the old 2002 was under 1000kg. One of the really good things about the old 202 was the nice thin screen pillers, great visibility.

Guest Skinty

I have a Nissan Micra and I absolutely love it. But I wouldn't replace it with the latest version of the Micra since they have increased the size of it. I'll look around for something the same size again.

We drove the Micra on a 11 hour 500 mile journey a couple of weekends ago to visit my parents and back again a couple of days later. I dare say that these big saloons are probably more comfortable for such long journies but I also reckon people are just getting softer. A small car is fantastic for rural roads, especially in the highlands when on a single track going up and down and round small hills and bends every few metres.

Possibly a slightly misleading comparison as, so far as I recall the old VW camper was based on the same floor pan as the old beetle. A more intersting one is to campare the weight of the BMW 3 series with the old 2002.The 3 series come in around the 15,00kg mark while the old 2002 was under 1000kg. One of the really good things about the old 202 was the nice thin screen pillers, great visibility.

Different construction between the Beetle and Camper, although I recall that the wheelbase was the same or very similar.

The increase in pillar dimensions is due to improving roll-over resistance - those lovely thing pillars would fold when a car rolled over in an accident. The flip ;) side is that the massive thick pillars now obscure the view of the driver - it used to be that motorcycles and scooters would disappear behind them for a split second, but I seem to recall that in some cars, even other cars are now obscured for that same split-second. :(

A brand-new VW Polo is 2" shorter and nearly an inch wider than a Mk2 VW Golf. The Golf 2 was anywhere between 910kg and 1,245kg (presumably the base model and something like the Golf Country 4WD), and the new Polo is between 1,067kg and 1,157kg. Bloat!

Different construction between the Beetle and Camper, although I recall that the wheelbase was the same or very similar.

The increase in pillar dimensions is due to improving roll-over resistance - those lovely thing pillars would fold when a car rolled over in an accident. The flip ;) side is that the massive thick pillars now obscure the view of the driver - it used to be that motorcycles and scooters would disappear behind them for a split second, but I seem to recall that in some cars, even other cars are now obscured for that same split-second. :(

A brand-new VW Polo is 2" shorter and nearly an inch wider than a Mk2 VW Golf. The Golf 2 was anywhere between 910kg and 1,245kg (presumably the base model and something like the Golf Country 4WD), and the new Polo is between 1,067kg and 1,157kg. Bloat!

Funny thing is I rolled one of those old BMWs, 1600 not 2002, back in 1969. The shell did withstand it pretty well, fron and rear screens popped out without breaking.

My nob must be tiny. I drive a 1999 BMW 740. A blim shorter than a minibus and wider than a Range Rover.

You have to account for this in your driving by yielding to cars more which generally speeds passing situations up rather than the Essex normal of "me first, I'm superior and more wealthy than you" attitude which results in gridlocks every morning outside my house with the orange mummies taking Tarquin and Jessica to the local school for posh çunts.

Really Frank, I'd have thought you were used to driving larger vehicles.

Franks' city runabout.

snn2725a682_395261a.jpg

Rises above it B)

I'm having second thoughts about going down any smaller. In the last week I tried the new Corsa, it looks nice inside and out but is too small for me, and got a lift in a Wagon R. It's got a nice high seating position but had hard seats and dreadful suspension not helped by the tiny wheels. Juddery ride as well. I was so pleased when I got out.

Smart cars put the fear of God into me - would you like to meet a juggernaut in one of those. Give me my Landrover any day.
If you have the misfortune of colliding with a heavy lorry, I don't think it would make much difference whether you're in a Smart or a Land Rover! If you're talking about an ordinary Defender, it might have a very strong steel chassis and bulkhead, but most of the body is of aluminium alloy, which will just be ripped apart in a serious collision. In Land Rover Owner magazine a year or two there's an article by a man whose Defender was written off in an accident with Smart. He didn't say whether or not the Smart as written off too, but presumably it was. I've owned a Land Rover in the past, and great fun it was, but I never felt particularly invulnerable in it. You look around you, at how close the windscreen and side window are to your head, and think how little of the force of any front or rear impact will be absorbed by the chassis and how much will be passed on to the driver.

Double post, sorry. At least it's not as bad as taking a double-artic on the road in the erroneous belief that it was legal when it clearly isn't (ref the pic in a post above)