House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

EmmaRoid

Fuggin Squirrels

fuggin squirrels that live in the tree at the bottom of the garden are stealing my fuggin strawberries. little shits.

that is all.

Air rifle.

Shoot 'em.

Eat 'em.

Job done.

fuggin squirrels that live in the tree at the bottom of the garden are stealing my fuggin strawberries. little shits.

that is all.

Poison the strawberries :)

that is all.

You have ripe strawberries already - outdoors?

Air rifle.

Shoot 'em.

Eat 'em.

Job done.

They're tough little gits to kill with an air rifle. Anywhere other than through the brain and they'll run for miles. 22 rimmy on the other hand, knocks them down at 70 yards. I've pretty much annihilated my local squirrels, those that remain know that coming within 100 yards of the house is a high risk occupation. They do taste surprisingly good, but are hard work to skin.

The little devil was stomach surfing in the raised bed over the newly planted seedlings flicking soil everywhere....later he proceeded to dig holes in the plant pots, looking for the nuts he planted then lost....don't you just love em. :P

that is all.

Can you put netting over them or something?

Squirrels around here used to dig up absolutely everything I planted in pots - bulbs, new little plants, etc.. Nowadays I stick rows of bamboo barbecue skewers round the edge of the pots, close together like a fence, until the plants are established. Seems to work so far, fingers Xed. Maybe you could try sticking bamboo skewers around the edge of your strawberry bed - they're dirt cheap in Asda's.

Mind you they won't keep the birds off, and I gather blackbirds are very partial to strawberries.

You have ripe strawberries already - outdoors?

Only a couple but yes, turning red, not ripe enough for me to pick but obviuosly ripe enough for my squirrels.

Following on form this thread http://www.housepricecrash.co.uk/forum/index.php?showtopic=139105, I bought a mix of early and late strawberries and stuck them outside and one of them started fruiting quite early despite the very late frosts. No more for the time being :(

Can you put netting over them or something?

Squirrels around here used to dig up absolutely everything I planted in pots - bulbs, new little plants, etc.. Nowadays I stick rows of bamboo barbecue skewers round the edge of the pots, close together like a fence, until the plants are established. Seems to work so far, fingers Xed. Maybe you could try sticking bamboo skewers around the edge of your strawberry bed - they're dirt cheap in Asda's.

Mind you they won't keep the birds off, and I gather blackbirds are very partial to strawberries.

Could be birds but the first one to go was very big and had been plucked clean off. I think you would have needed squirrel hands rather thna a beak.

I'm pissed about it because its like anti-social youths just doing what they please, grrr. At least its given me a warning for what will happen later in the summer. My toms will be gonnas quite possibly the courgetes too but hopefully lettuce/cabbages will be ok.

Only a couple but yes, turning red, not ripe enough for me to pick but obviuosly ripe enough for my squirrels.

Following on form this thread http://www.housepric...howtopic=139105, I bought a mix of early and late strawberries and stuck them outside and one of them started fruiting quite early despite the very late frosts. No more for the time being sad.gif

Could be birds but the first one to go was very big and had been plucked clean off. I think you would have needed squirrel hands rather thna a beak.

I'm pissed about it because its like anti-social youths just doing what they please, grrr. At least its given me a warning for what will happen later in the summer. My toms will be gonnas quite possibly the courgetes too but hopefully lettuce/cabbages will be ok.

Do they wear hoodies too?

They're tough little gits to kill with an air rifle. Anywhere other than through the brain and they'll run for miles. 22 rimmy on the other hand, knocks them down at 70 yards. I've pretty much annihilated my local squirrels, those that remain know that coming within 100 yards of the house is a high risk occupation. They do taste surprisingly good, but are hard work to skin.

I am not sure most peoples gardens are suitable for unleashing a .22 rimfire!! :blink::lol:

Guest X-QUORK

I took down three of those squirrel motherf**kers inside 5 minutes a couple of years ago. It was like the Killing Fields.

Get one of these

and one these

We did this after they started getting very cocky and moved into next doors loft space. After a few months worth of baiting, trapping & shooting the local population virtually vanished. now we get the occasional newcomer who thinks he's found this wonderful unclaimed patch.....then he finds out why its unclaimed.

You wouldnt believe the positive difference it has made to the local population of wild birds.

Your country needs you!. Exterminate the evil fuggers.

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/435956/Hushpower_410_shotgun_review.html

If you lack the skill to kill them with an air rifle one of these would be a good option.

It is legal to shoot on your own land so long as you do not cause danger or distress to the public or allow projectiles to cross your boundaries. Legally squirrels are vermin and can be shot all year round.

It you can make a good reduction in your local squirrel population you will be rewarded with a very noticeable increase in the number of small birds. The squirrels eat the nestlings.

Get one of these

and one these

We did this after they started getting very cocky and moved into next doors loft space. After a few months worth of baiting, trapping & shooting the local population virtually vanished. now we get the occasional newcomer who thinks he's found this wonderful unclaimed patch.....then he finds out why its unclaimed.

You wouldnt believe the positive difference it has made to the local population of wild birds.

Your country needs you!. Exterminate the evil fuggers.

A 6ft/lb air pistol for tree rats, only for administering headshots to trapped rodents? :unsure:

You might as well go all in and get a Larsen trap to help increase songbird numbers.

A 6ft/lb air pistol for tree rats, only for administering headshots to trapped rodents? :unsure:

You might as well go all in and get a Larsen trap to help increase songbird numbers.

Good point. Getting rid of magpies really helps.

Sorry, not sure if I catch your gist. Are you unsure if it's powerful enough?, because it definately is.

If you're just an average joe, who needs to do something effective about the local tree rats then a trap and an effective method of dispatch it the best way to go. You simply won't cut down the numbers quick enough if you spend a fortune on rifles and kit then sit there patiently trying to pop them off one at a time from the other end of the garden. (no harm in trying this and enjoying it at the same time as using the trap though)

The trap can be set in the morning before work, then cyril the squirrel can be given his lead pill when you get home.

Sorry, not sure if I catch your gist. Are you unsure if it's powerful enough?, because it definately is.

If you're just an average joe, who needs to do something effective about the local tree rats then a trap and an effective method of dispatch it the best way to go. You simply won't cut down the numbers quick enough if you spend a fortune on rifles and kit then sit there patiently trying to pop them off one at a time from the other end of the garden. (no harm in trying this and enjoying it at the same time as using the trap though)

The trap can be set in the morning before work, then cyril the squirrel can be given his lead pill when you get home.

It is fine for dealing with caged tree rats, but underpowered (imho) for shooting at anything further than 5 yards away.

It is fine for dealing with caged tree rats, but underpowered (imho) for shooting at anything further than 5 yards away.

Ah, I'm with you now.

I totally agree. Caged headshots are it's only purpose (other than the occasional bit of plinking).

Best technique is to place the muzzle in one of the gaps in the cage and wait for the squirrel to bob its head right into the line of fire. Result = headshot from about 2 inches away.

Guest X-QUORK

Ah, I'm with you now.

I totally agree. Caged headshots are it's only purpose (other than the occasional bit of plinking).

I used one of those compressed gas air rifles which are a bit more powerful I believe. It certainly had no problem at about 20 metres.

The little devil was stomach surfing in the raised bed over the newly planted seedlings flicking soil everywhere....later he proceeded to dig holes in the plant pots, looking for the nuts he planted then lost....don't you just love em. :P

No, squirrels can pretend to dig holes as subterfuge.

Squirrel info