House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Boom Boom

Identity Theft

Somehow some toe rag has taken out 3 mobile contracts in my name at my UK address. 1 of these is with vodafone and 2 with orange. Apparently, the phones in question were delivered to my address, although the bank account and debit card used for setting up had my initials, they were not mine eg:

My bank account: John Smith

Bank account used: Jake Smith (although the account had had its billing address set as mine)

As I spend a lot of time out the country I guess I'm an easy target for this kind of thing, but the companies concerned have been less than helpful. I've offered both companies copies of my bank statements to prove that the account used for setting up the direct debits/paying for delivery were not mine, and that basically my details and address were somehow used. Both companies are basically saying they will need to conduct an investigation and that I my still be liable at the end of this. What's the legal position on this? I know mobile contracts are not governed by the CCA which makes dealing with this nonsense more difficult.

What is the problem here - if it's not your name on the contract, and the money is coming from someone else's bank account, surely the worst is a black mark on your credit record? If you appeal to experian, etc and demonstrate the account was in a different name and using a bank account you aren't associated with they should remove the reference.

What is the problem here - if it's not your name on the contract, and the money is coming from someone else's bank account, surely the worst is a black mark on your credit record? If you appeal to experian, etc and demonstrate the account was in a different name and using a bank account you aren't associated with they should remove the reference.

Security Services and Police can do a lot with phone calls these days. If this person is up to unsavoury acts - I really would not want my name and address attached. Whether it was sorted in the end or not.

Another thing that annoyed me is that both companies expect me to contact the police and try and get them involved. I mean surely that's their problem as they are the ones that have been defrauded, I'm just the messenger.

Security Services and Police can do a lot with phone calls these days. If this person is up to unsavoury acts - I really would not want my name and address attached. Whether it was sorted in the end or not.

But the fact that the account had a different name and a different bank account associated with it would be ample evidence it's nowt to do with the OP.

But the fact that the account had a different name and a different bank account associated with it would be ample evidence it's nowt to do with the OP.

Turns into guilty until proven innocent though.

Turns into guilty until proven innocent though.

[bang] <Hits gavel>

Take him down. I sentence Mr Boom Boom to 100 years imprisonment for having a dodgy mobile registered to his address.

But he would have to prove this and that would take time effort - when he shouldn't have to do ****** all. Could you be arsed with the hassle ?!

But he would have to prove this and that would take time effort - when he shouldn't have to do ****** all. Could you be arsed with the hassle ?!

He's going to have hassle whatever happens now. If it were me, I would move swiftly on to a solicitor if I got no immediate joy from the phone companies, if only to have an authenticated record that the bills were nothing to do with me and I had protested about this fact...

Somehow some toe rag has taken out 3 mobile contracts in my name at my UK address.

You're lucky that no one hacked into your chip:

First human 'infected with computer virus' (BBC)

Dr Mark Gasson from the University of Reading contaminated a computer chip which was then inserted into his hand.

The device, which enables him to pass through security doors and activate his mobile phone, is a sophisticated version of ID chips used to tag pets.