House Price Crash Forum
PAULANTHONY

Nightmare Tenants

I would like to know if anyone out there has had any run in's with Shelter?

I thought that lightening did'nt strike twice in the same place (or the same person)

I have, what was a beautiful but slightly decor dated 3 bed detached bungalow. Just before Christmas 08 a friend of mine brought a friend of his to see if we had any properties we could let her have.

We had just re painted and carpeted this prop and it was avaliable. The reason my friend had brought her was she had separated from her husband and had no money for a deposit, and would initially struggle with the rent until she got her housing claim sorted. On the recomendation of this friend we let her view the prop and in the spirit of Christmas and with the reference from this long standing friend we allowed her to move in on the 10 Dec 08, and allowed her a reduction on the rent from £650 to £550 for the first 3 months.

The problems started pretty much at the outset.

She did not put her claim in within the required 28 days and only ended up putting it in towards the end of the 2nd month.

Once the rent was agreed by the local housing office, as is usual nowadays as some 'ABSOLUTE IDIOT' decided to pay the tenants direct, we expected to, not only get the rent paid regular, but to start getting any top up, and a payment off the now £1100 arrears.

Well yes! You know whats comming! Or not! No money. We contacted the tenant to find out when we would be paid only to be told that she had not recived the payment from housing. We contacted housing to be told that not only had the payment been sent but it had been cashed. This went on for another month until we complained to housing and eventually got the payments sent directly to us.

At this point the tenant is almost 5 months in arrears. Thats £2950. Once we got the payments direct, which were £495 pcm we then tried to get the top up and some arrears from the tenant, baring in mind the topup is £155 each month, running total £3105, to no avail. My wife then issued a notice 21 in accordance with the relavent acts, at which point the tenant contacted us all apologetic asking could she stay and she would pay off the arears, as she had applied for a crisis loan and this would go a long way to repay the debt. and she would start to pay the top up.

We foolishly agreed and my wife made arrangements to pic up the shortfall. On this occation she was able to collect £50 but only because she caught the tenant all dressed up for a big night out, yet when my wife turned up she was told the tenant had no money. My wife pointed out that she had enough to go out on and also pointed out she owed us a fortune and as we where paying the mortgage on the property we could not afford to do anything, she threw the £50 at my wife and promptly told her to Fu*k off.

We finally realised we were never going to get the money we where owed, so we issued a notice 8, once again in accordance with relavant ledgislation.

The tenant then went to some kind of social housing support unit saying she was being persecuted by her landlord, and the house was in a state of disrepair. She was then advised by this 'social and home worker' that she if she needed to get another property the house she was in would need to be a danger to her and her family. She promptly went home and trashed the house.

I then got a list of essencial works that I needed to carry out on the property from Enviromental Health. These included doors that had been ripped off the hidges, a barely recognisable kitchen, a front door that would not close due to a kick hole in it, so called damp all through the house, although when I arranged to meed the EH officer there with a damp meter all we could find was condensation in the corner of windows caused by heating being left off in rooms not used, and damp markings on the wall consistant with a wet sponge being rubbed on a wall.

We then corrected the works on th EH schedule and were discharged of our obligations.

I then received a letter from Shelter who are now acting on the tenants behalf accusing us of violence, abuse, threatenting behavior, entering the property whilst the tenant is out, laying rat poison, causing the tenant to have a £2000 electricty bill, The list is endless. THE LIST IS ALL LIES!!!!!!

I and my wife are devastated, my wife has been threatend, and I have been accused of unbelevieable things. Although I do have a number of threatining texts messages from this tenant to me and my wife.

The scary thing is this is the second time this has happend to us.

And almost identical situation happend about 5 years ago. We ended up in court with shelter. I had copious amounts of evidance in our favour. Even a letter of the EH officer who handled the case, confirming there were 3 points of minor concern that he raised, which we attended to. And that the condition of the house aledged by shelter and the tenant when the tenant vacated bared no resemblence to the one he visited.

Yet when we went to court we where advised by our barrister to settle.

As these cases very rarly go in the favour of the landlord. And that the judge will only need to find once incident where we may not have forfilled our obligation as a landlord, regardless of the situation we where in as a result of the case, to find in (and this is the important thing) favour of the Charity.

It was pointed out that at that stage it has cost us almost £4000 in fees alone and should it go to a full trial and we lose the costs could be in excess of £25k + damages and may have bankrupt us.

As it was it cost us £10k

AND ITS HAPPENING AGAIN!!!

Please if there is anyone out there who has either been in a simular sitituation or got any advice. I have been renting for 25 years now and only in the last 5 years has this once respectable bussiness turned bad.

I am in my late 40s now and before all this, and the recession, was thinking I may be able to retire early. I will more that likly end up in the workhouse if there are any still open!

Just before Christmas 08 a friend of mine brought a friend of his to see if we had any properties we could let her have.

I think you need to after your 'friend' for some money. It was his idea after all.

I thought that lightening did'nt strike twice in the same place (or the same person)

I have, what was a beautiful but slightly decor dated 3 bed detached bungalow. Just before Christmas 08 a friend of mine brought a friend of his to see if we had any properties we could let her have.

We had just re painted and carpeted this prop and it was avaliable. The reason my friend had brought her was she had separated from her husband and had no money for a deposit, and would initially struggle with the rent until she got her housing claim sorted. On the recomendation of this friend we let her view the prop and in the spirit of Christmas and with the reference from this long standing friend we allowed her to move in on the 10 Dec 08, and allowed her a reduction on the rent from £650 to £550 for the first 3 months.

She did not put her claim in within the required 28 days and only ended up putting it in towards the end of the 2nd month.

Once the rent was agreed by the local housing office, as is usual nowadays as some 'ABSOLUTE IDIOT' decided to pay the tenants direct, we expected to, not only get the rent paid regular, but to start getting any top up, and a payment off the now £1100 arrears.

Well yes! You know whats comming! Or not! No money. We contacted the tenant to find out when we would be paid only to be told that she had not recived the payment from housing. We contacted housing to be told that not only had the payment been sent but it had been cashed. This went on for another month until we complained to housing and eventually got the payments sent directly to us.

At this point the tenant is almost 5 months in arrears. Thats £2950. Once we got the payments direct, which were £495 pcm we then tried to get the top up and some arrears from the tenant, baring in mind the topup is £155 each month, running total £3105, to no avail. My wife then issued a notice 21 in accordance with the relavent acts, at which point the tenant contacted us all apologetic asking could she stay and she would pay off the arears, as she had applied for a crisis loan and this would go a long way to repay the debt. and she would start to pay the top up.

We foolishly agreed and my wife made arrangements to pic up the shortfall. On this occation she was able to collect £50 but only because she caught the tenant all dressed up for a big night out, yet when my wife turned up she was told the tenant had no money. My wife pointed out that she had enough to go out on and also pointed out she owed us a fortune and as we where paying the mortgage on the property we could not afford to do anything, she threw the £50 at my wife and promptly told her to Fu*k off.

We finally realised we were never going to get the money we where owed, so we issued a notice 8, once again in accordance with relavant ledgislation.

The tenant then went to some kind of social housing support unit saying she was being persecuted by her landlord, and the house was in a state of disrepair. She was then advised by this 'social and home worker' that she if she needed to get another property the house she was in would need to be a danger to her and her family. She promptly went home and trashed the house.

I then got a list of essencial works that I needed to carry out on the property from Enviromental Health. These included doors that had been ripped off the hidges, a barely recognisable kitchen, a front door that would not close due to a kick hole in it, so called damp all through the house, although when I arranged to meed the EH officer there with a damp meter all we could find was condensation in the corner of windows caused by heating being left off in rooms not used, and damp markings on the wall consistant with a wet sponge being rubbed on a wall.

We then corrected the works on th EH schedule and were discharged of our obligations.

I then received a letter from Shelter who are now acting on the tenants behalf accusing us of violence, abuse, threatenting behavior, entering the property whilst the tenant is out, laying rat poison, causing the tenant to have a £2000 electricty bill, The list is endless. THE LIST IS ALL LIES!!!!!!

I and my wife are devastated, my wife has been threatend, and I have been accused of unbelevieable things. Although I do have a number of threatining texts messages from this tenant to me and my wife.

And almost identical situation happend about 5 years ago. We ended up in court with shelter. I had copious amounts of evidance in our favour. Even a letter of the EH officer who handled the case, confirming there were 3 points of minor concern that he raised, which we attended to. And that the condition of the house aledged by shelter and the tenant when the tenant vacated bared no resemblence to the one he visited.

As these cases very rarly go in the favour of the landlord. And that the judge will only need to find once incident where we may not have forfilled our obligation as a landlord, regardless of the situation we where in as a result of the case, to find in (and this is the important thing) favour of the Charity.

It was pointed out that at that stage it has cost us almost £4000 in fees alone and should it go to a full trial and we lose the costs could be in excess of £25k + damages and may have bankrupt us.

Please if there is anyone out there who has either been in a simular sitituation or got any advice. I have been renting for 25 years now and only in the last 5 years has this once respectable bussiness turned bad.

I am in my late 40s now and before all this, and the recession, was thinking I may be able to retire early. I will more that likly end up in the workhouse if there are any still open!

Best of luck to you mate. I dont know much about this, and there is lots I would like to say.

But just one thing, when the tenant trashed the place, why didnt you call the police?

It would have been obvious then that the damage had been caused recently, after the tenancy had been accepted. So she couldnt have gone to court saying that you hadnt maintained the place. She might also have been done for criminal damage.

And why not write to shelter. Point out to them that their advice is causing bad people to go out and wreck properties. In the end, it will be the people that they are trying to help that will suffer, as no one will want to rent to them.

FWIW, I would gather all the evidence, and go to court, as a matter of principle. Get a solicitor who will fight. There must be a pretty good chance you will win, as your tenant can be proved to be lying, simply on the fact that she hasnt paid you. Clearly you wouldnt have agreed to the tenancy unless she had agreed to do so, which makes her dishonest. And she must also have accepted the condition of the property when she moved in too. Lots of dishonesty there, that will cast doubt on all the other claims that she is likely to make for which the truth will be uncertain. Some things she says will be provable lies, the rest open to doubt. The case should go your way.

Just to let you know, I am not a lawyer, and have little faith in judges, so I do appreciate your problem.

Best of luck to you mate. I dont know much about this, and there is lots I would like to say.

But just one thing, when the tenant trashed the place, why didnt you call the police?

It would have been obvious then that the damage had been caused recently, after the tenancy had been accepted. So she couldnt have gone to court saying that you hadnt maintained the place. She might also have been done for criminal damage.

And why not write to shelter. Point out to them that their advice is causing bad people to go out and wreck properties. In the end, it will be the people that they are trying to help that will suffer, as no one will want to rent to them.

FWIW, I would gather all the evidence, and go to court, as a matter of principle. Get a solicitor who will fight. There must be a pretty good chance you will win, as your tenant can be proved to be lying, simply on the fact that she hasnt paid you. Clearly you wouldnt have agreed to the tenancy unless she had agreed to do so, which makes her dishonest. And she must also have accepted the condition of the property when she moved in too. Lots of dishonesty there, that will cast doubt on all the other claims that she is likely to make for which the truth will be uncertain. Some things she says will be provable lies, the rest open to doubt. The case should go your way.

Just to let you know, I am not a lawyer, and have little faith in judges, so I do appreciate your problem.

Just another thing. I heard a story from someone who used to rent out properties. Stopped doing so when HB was being paid to tenants. Sold to someone else. Asked the estate agent "wont the buyer have trouble collecting?".

The estate agent replied "no, they wont have a problem".

I think if you are in the renting game, you need to have a extra-courts method of sorting your problem tenants out. Either that or be very lucky with your tenants.

HB is handed to some tenants direct, in cash??

Jesus wept, thats probably the single most insane thing I have ever heard of in some time. Why not just call it the 'beer and fags fund?' Nice to see that those on HB are given the benefit of the doubt by the LHA when it comes to their cash management skills, I have to convince the bank of that first before they hand me any cash...if any at all.

After you have a long and hard word with your mate concerning his severely piss-poor judge of character, get some legal advice or possibly go to your local CAB and see what they say about it. Gather evidence, as much as you possibly can, save all correspondence, I'd also say get the TDS involved but I don't think there was a deposit put down so that might knock that idea on the head. Try and get some kind of formal complaint down with the police for criminal damage as well before the silly bitch completely destroys the place...other than that I don't know.

Sorry mate, scum of the earth. :(

It sounds like you know this, but references from:

-bank

-employer

-previous landlords

Would be a good start

Your friends credibility is now zero.

I would agree with the other poster - prosecute her for crimminel damage - what were you thinking repairing it? Go through the courts even small claims courts. Cannot let yourself be treated like that

Unfortunatly the police won't get involved, If I ask them to investigate the goings on in the house I am not allowing the tenant the rights to privicy and I am deamed to be harrassing them. And as far as they are conserned its a civil matter

And as for Shelter, they dont care cos they get paid for sueing me on the tenants behalf. they arrange funding from Legal aid so if they lose they get paid if they win they really doo get paid, and that is how they operate. I tryied on numerous occations last time to contact the solicitor directly and she was never in and never returned any calls. We even got accused of harrasing them. I would hazard a guess thats where they get most of there money from.

Its seams that you are not allowed to defend yourself these days

The gathering of evidence is ongoing and the friend who did the introductions is doing a statement to confirm the condition of the property when they veiwed it as he took her and that she was over the moon with the place. As you can imagine this guy is seriously embaressed.

Thanks anyway for your concern

Think its a crime to be succsessful.

don't rent to people who get housing benefit?

As I said ive been renting property for nearly 25years and I have to say some of the best tenants I have had have been DSS. And at least you where guaranted a large part of your rent. It went tits up when the genious who came up with the idea to make them responsible for their own money, handed over the cash.

It sounds like you know this, but references from:

-bank

-employer

-previous landlords

Would be a good start

Your friends credibility is now zero.

I would agree with the other poster - prosecute her for crimminel damage - what were you thinking repairing it? Go through the courts even small claims courts. Cannot let yourself be treated like that

I generally won't rent to people on benefits.

I mean, if these people can't manage their own lives well enough to live without scrounging of the rest of us, why expect them to take responsibility for paying the rent?

Sounds like the OP should have taken photos or better still, video of the place when this person moved in, so they more easily demonstrate that the damage was caused by the tenant.

Avoid dole scroungers, its worked for me for 20 years!

ame='PAULANTHONY' date='25 May 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1274807518' post='2539261']

So 25 years of getting guaranteed payments from the council then one lttle problem and you come here crying. Suggest you go to mumsnet. Hugz....

Indeed. I have no idea why this person came on here wanting sympathy. Why don't you OP sell the damn house and bank all that capital gains you have? After all, you're not retirement age, are you? Or is it your pension?

Sounds like the OP should have taken photos or better still, video of the place when this person moved in, so they more easily demonstrate that the damage was caused by the

Handing housing benefits to the tenant as opposed to the landlord was the idea of a genius. :rolleyes:

One thing I would always suggest a landlord or tenant do is take many photos of the house when they let it/when they move in, and again when they leave. I make sure there is a copy of a recent newspaper in some of the photos and send a sealed copy burnt onto a CD to myself registered delivery. As a tenant, make sure you photograph any and all damage, no matter how minor and make sure this is noted on the inventory. With digital cameras these day, doing such a thing is very cheap and will save you much grief. Note the existence of the photographs on the inventory and that a copy has been supplied ot the LA/LL. This may sound paranoid, but has worked very well for me in the past.

Also, when signing a end of tenancy checkout report, insert a line after all comments so that there is no blank space, or initial the end of each comment and note this on the page with your signature. I once caught a "professional" checkout agent in her car adding stuff in the white space after I had signed the document.

As to the OP, I am very sorry that you have had this experience. It really does shake one's faith in people. I'm not sure I can provide any other advice other than not to expect any form of justice from a court. I've only sued someone once, but it is amazing the lengths people will go to - fake witnesses, perjury that would make a decent human being blush, fake engineering reports the lot - together with the idiocy of some lower court judges/magistrates.

ame='PAULANTHONY' date='25 May 2010 - 06:11 PM' timestamp='1274807518' post='2539261']

So 25 years of getting guaranteed payments from the council then one lttle problem and you come here crying. Suggest you go to mumsnet. Hugz....

Obviously you can not read, Its not been that easy and its not the 1st time and the point is that shelter and housing have screwed up a good business, for a lot of people.

What are you a lawer or do you work for shelter. I'll swap situations for a day and see how you cope. I have ran business's all my life, never expected anyone else to provide for me but I resent other people stealing from me! Or maybe your one of those left wing liberal softies who feel sorry for everone

Indeed. I have no idea why this person came on here wanting sympathy. Why don't you OP sell the damn house and bank all that capital gains you have? After all, you're not retirement age, are you? Or is it your pension?

Not looking for sympathty! hoping for info on dubious charities that pray on innocent landlords, obviously you not got any houses and dont understand maybe you are one of those tenants or again a lawer, dont you think if I could just sell I would. But then again why should I because of Scum

I have been renting for 25 years now and only in the last 5 years has this once respectable bussiness turned bad.

No sympathy here. You should have been more businesslike from the get-go, asking for proper references etc. You should have served notice on her as soon as she fell into arrears.

That's business.

By the way, why should you be able to retire early just because you have a few rental properties?

*edit - Shelter, by the way, is not a dubious charity. They do very good work on behalf of vulnerable people.

Edited by MacGuffin

No sympathy here. You should have been more businesslike from the get-go, asking for proper references etc. You should have served notice on her as soon as she fell into arrears.

That's business.

By the way, why should you be able to retire early just because you have a few rental properties?

*edit - Shelter, by the way, is not a dubious charity. They do very good work on behalf of vulnerable people.

Thanks got a full pic of you now,

I know it was foolish and un business like but, I do still manage to have a bit of faith i human decency.

And no one kicks themselves more than me for the mistakes I made.

Shelter are dubious theres no doubt about that, or at least there legal team are. If they were really good lawers they would be in private practice.

And is that a bit of jelousy there, Why shouldnt I retire early if I have worked hard enough to do so. I expect you want everyone else to do things for you. Every one else is more my frame of mind and prob had there faith in human kind knocked a few times.

But I still got plenty of support from friends and family, so no worries people like me and most the otheres on this fourm always get on and up so, ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

BTW Developing, night club and Coffee shops also help you retire early!

Maybe thats my prob with the BTLs got too much on my plate but thanks for pointing things out!

Edited by PAULANTHONY

Thanks got a full pic of you now,

I know it was foolish and un business like but, I do still manage to have a bit of faith i human decency.

And no one kicks themselves more than me for the mistakes I made.

Shelter are dubious theres no doubt about that, or at least there legal team are. If they were really good lawers they would be in private practice.

And is that a bit of jelousy there, Why shouldnt I retire early if I have worked hard enough to do so. I expect you want everyone else to do things for you. Every one else is more my frame of mind and prob had there faith in human kind knocked a few times.

But I still got plenty of support from friends and family, so no worries people like me and most the otheres on this fourm always get on and up so, ONWARDS AND UPWARDS!

BTW Developing, night club and Coffee shops also help you retire early!

Maybe thats my prob with the BTLs got too much on my plate but thanks for pointing things out!

Developing adequate spelling, punctuation and grammar should be your next priority. Once you get the problems with these pesky renting scum sorted that is. :unsure:

I generally won't rent to people on benefits.

I mean, if these people can't manage their own lives well enough to live without scrounging of the rest of us, why expect them to take responsibility for paying the rent?

Sounds like the OP should have taken photos or better still, video of the place when this person moved in, so they more easily demonstrate that the damage was caused by the tenant.

Avoid dole scroungers, its worked for me for 20 years!

Your spot on! Id vote for you.

And if im honest ive a lot to answer for but i trusted her and took my friends word, but if we give up completely on trust we are as bad as them, and my friend has started buying me extra pints so I know hes sorry

Developing adequate spelling, punctuation and grammar should be your next priority. Once you get the problems with these pesky renting scum sorted that is. :unsure: