House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Executive Sadman

Local Bubble Statistics

Article comparing prices in 1988 to 2005

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/the-property-ladder/the-uks-cheapest-and-priciest-towns-267.aspx

Biggest gain in nominal terms was Weybridge (south west of London) at 451%, smallest was Wickford (north east of London) at just 100%. Maybe even wickford isnt overpriced, wages must be 100% higher now than 1988. Although 1988 was near the last peak, admittedly.

Not surprisingly 9/10 of the biggest gains were from very low bases in depressed northern towns.

Wonder if the towns that gained least in the Boom will lose least in the bust. One thing i did notice about the smallest gains was the prevalance of 'undesirable' new towns: Ie Basildon (wickford looks to be a suburb of basildon - never been there though, so cant comment) Stevenage was another new town, Hemel Hempstead and Wellingborough were expanded/overspill towns. The remainder are coastal resorts that have probably declined over the past 20 years (dover, clacton, eastbourne, yarmouth)

Not sure if this means buy in a new town or coastal resort, but will be interesting to see how these areas hold up compared to more traditional towns.

Article comparing prices in 1988 to 2005

http://www.lovemoney.com/news/the-property-ladder/the-uks-cheapest-and-priciest-towns-267.aspx

Biggest gain in nominal terms was Weybridge (south west of London) at 451%, smallest was Wickford (north east of London) at just 100%. Maybe even wickford isnt overpriced, wages must be 100% higher now than 1988. Although 1988 was near the last peak, admittedly.

Not surprisingly 9/10 of the biggest gains were from very low bases in depressed northern towns.

Wonder if the towns that gained least in the Boom will lose least in the bust. One thing i did notice about the smallest gains was the prevalance of 'undesirable' new towns: Ie Basildon (wickford looks to be a suburb of basildon - never been there though, so cant comment) Stevenage was another new town, Hemel Hempstead and Wellingborough were expanded/overspill towns. The remainder are coastal resorts that have probably declined over the past 20 years (dover, clacton, eastbourne, yarmouth)

Not sure if this means buy in a new town or coastal resort, but will be interesting to see how these areas hold up compared to more traditional towns.

I live in Wickford! It's a not a suburb of Basildon it's about 2 miles away. nicer area than Basildon athough going downhill. I'm suprised it's one of the smallest increases it's on a main line to London good commuter town.

My dad bought our current house in wickford in 2000 for £99k. Zoopla now has a value of £210k so our house has more than

double in half the time. Although wasn't 1988 near the last peak, with prices not reaching those peak levels until

1998/9. So really they should have use the year 1997 to 2007 that was when the bubble was!

Are these statistics taken from the whole of the UK? Can't believe Wickford increased less than some of the northern ex industrial/mining towns?

Edited by Pent Up FTBer

I live in Wickford! It's a not a suburb of Basildon it's about 2 miles away. nicer area than Basildon athough going downhill. I'm suprised it's one of the smallest increases it's on a main line to London good commuter town.

My dad bought our current house in wickford in 2000 for £99k. Zoopla now has a value of £210k so our house has more than

double in half the time. Although wasn't 1988 near the last peak, with prices not reaching those peak levels until

1998/9. So really they should have use the year 1997 to 2007 that was when the bubble was!

Are these statistics taken from the whole of the UK? Can't believe Wickford increased less than some of the northern ex industrial/mining towns?

Thanks for clearing that up...just looks like Basildon and wickford are one conurbation on some maps.

Its only in percentage terms those northern old industrial towns have gone up lots, but if cuts end up falling on the north i guess they could drop like a stone, at least compared to areas like the south east which still have a large private sector presence.

Wellingborough is one of the towns im looking at and assuming prices there didnt change much between 1988 and 1995/6 the stats look right.