House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

swissy_fit

Powerful Elected Police Commissioners

Put forward by last government, being continued by this one.

I must have been asleep because I missed it.

WTF is my reaction.

Politicians with direct control over the police.

Has anyone got a reasonable and rational explanation showing how this could ever be a good thing?

Put forward by last government, being continued by this one.

I must have been asleep because I missed it.

WTF is my reaction.

Politicians with direct control over the police.

Has anyone got a reasonable and rational explanation showing how this could ever be a good thing?

Some states in the US have been doing it for a long time. I think it's a great idea which may finally have an impact on this sort of thing. We've had 20 years or so where policing was driven solely by centrally mandated targets and the result has been terrible. The law abiding majority of people no longer trust the police to look after their interests, maybe the threat of being kicked out at the next election will focus some minds.

Some states in the US have been doing it for a long time. I think it's a great idea which may finally have an impact on this sort of thing. We've had 20 years or so where policing was driven solely by centrally mandated targets and the result has been terrible. The law abiding majority of people no longer trust the police to look after their interests, maybe the threat of being kicked out at the next election will focus some minds.

Do you trust politicians more?

Does anyone?

ACPO strikes me as a fundamentally dodgy institution, and the higher levels of the police are often corrupt as f*ck, I think.

Can hardly be worse than what we have atm. It used to be the normal state of affairs, it still is in the US.

As for politicians, chief constables practically are politicians as it is - in the unelected, Peter Mandelson sense.

ACPO strikes me as a fundamentally dodgy institution, and the higher levels of the police are often corrupt as f*ck, I think.

Can hardly be worse than what we have atm. It used to be the normal state of affairs, it still is in the US.

As for politicians, chief constables practically are politicians as it is - in the unelected, Peter Mandelson sense.

My sentiments exactly.

The natural result of the 'common purpose' local government ideology (and I mean in the multi-agency approach and not the tfh nwo sense) in which senior Police Officers came to see themselves not as enforcers of the law but as moral authorities.

So, we ended up with police officers being able to implement curfews without challenge, require shops to ID people who are quite plainly over 18 for alcohol purchases, etc., etc., etc., etc.

The natural retort of the people is to demand somebody who is accountable when the current lot are quite plainly unaccountable.

When policing by consent fails, as it clearly has, the alternatives are to direct the police in their actions.

OK, I hear you all. It sounds reasonable, not so sure about the reality.

Does anyone think that the politicos expenses scandal might have remained undiscovered if these commissioners were already in place?

This is just a minor example of my concerns.....

Does anyone think that the politicos expenses scandal might have remained undiscovered if these commissioners were already in place?

This is just a minor example of my concerns.....

I thought the whistleblower and factfinder there was a journo? A rather hot looking female journo in fact.

I thought the whistleblower and factfinder there was a journo? A rather hot looking female journo in fact.

Can't remember.

However the police were then involved. Now what would have happened if the police force concerned had an elected commissioner overseeing them who had (as is probable) many friends in the Commons?

Local accountability of Police is something the Douglas Carswell (Co-Author of the 'The plan') mentions a lot over on his blog, all part of taking power away from the system/government and allowing direct democracy.

I don't think so.

the danger is with these "elected" posts,that they may be swayed by mob rule,given enough stimulus in certain directions from the media.

the police,judiciary and the House of lords need to remain a-political.

as far as centrally-minded targets is concerned,this really is case in point of why I do not wish to see any branch of law enforcement/education swayed by social engineering.The process happens so slowly you would probably fail to spot it,but it is there....so we need to give our politicians a little reminder that they are being watched.