House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
deflation

Mass Property Rampers Target Websites

On checking the dire FTSE and £ v $, I noticed this as no 4 'most read.'

Link removed. It only encourages it!

How does a b******t story from Canada about swapping up to a house from 2006 get onto the top 10 most read stories on the BBC website?

It must be targetting by some 'social networking group' or other, all clicking on old stories together. Can you get a computer programme to simulate multiple clicking from different IP addresses? I've seen other strange old stories suddenly appear in the top 10 this way.

Edited by deflation

It probably takes a relatively small number of views to get onto the list.

With a well supported forum having a dong-dong thread there are quite a few views generated very quickly.

It all depends on what the parameters are.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"

I've noticed that the BBC "most read" feature suffers from regular brainfarts and puts the most unlikely articles in the top 10...

"Never attribute to malice that which can be explained by incompetence"

I've noticed that the BBC "most read" feature suffers from regular brainfarts and puts the most unlikely articles in the top 10...

The 'most read' thing is faintly absurd in principal. As soon as something gets onto it, it becomes self-reinforcing. The ought to exclude page-hits that are generated when coming from the 'most read' panel, but I doubt they do.

Highlighting the article here probably moves it further up the rankings (for a while at least).

OOPs. You'r right, it's self-perpetuating. I'll delete the link. It was about swapping up from a 3 foot paperclip to a house but it was bs. He got as far as a snowglobe but this was the coup de grace:

"But his fans need not have worried. Hollywood director Corbin Bernsen collects snow globes and wanted it so much that he offered a paid, credited, speaking role in his next film Donna on Demand.

Finally, the town of Kipling - population 1,140 - decided they would like a resident to get the part, so offered to trade a 1920s house for the movie role."

Edited by deflation

On checking the dire FTSE and £ v $, I noticed this as no 4 'most read.'

Simple. No-one reads all that finance nonsense. The recession's over anyway - what are you banging on about? The new government have balanced the books and we just need to whine and groan about the CGT increases (but they will get reversed next year anyway). Yay tax cuts all round. Loadasmoney. Happy days are here again. Buy a house whydoncher?

;)

As a test, here's an obscure story on the BBC website - lets see if we can get it into the top 10.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/w/wrexham/8659189.stm

Not with an introduction like that - you haven't tempted me to follow your link.

If you were to post it to a high-traffic site (like slashdot) with a one-line-summary likely to interest your readership, that's another story.

The rampers are the success story of the past decade. Where King Canute failed they appear to have beaten nature. Against all the odds and so many ruined lives the property machine marches on. Prevelence of common sense should have ensured the VIs comeuppance before it got this far. What a shame that it will require the destruction of our economy to beat some sense into the ignorant vermin.