House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Masked Tulip

Wrong Kind Of Wind

Maybe it's just me but why is there a some sort of media blackout in the UK re the massive floods in Poland? So far, 15 people are dead, billions of £££ worth of damage, whole cities under water, and still nothing even on BBC24 - not to even mention the Daily Mail (which has got time and space to report on a Russian bridge).

Yes, I found that strange too. I usually keep an eye on the German news, and the floods in Eastern Europe have been in the headlines there for the last few days. The situation in Poland is critical, with major evacuations, the threat of dykes collapsing and flooding parts of Warsaw and even worries about disease. And not a peep from the BBC. :huh:

Maybe it's just me but why is there a some sort of media blackout in the UK re the massive floods in Poland? So far, 15 people are dead, billions of £££ worth of damage, whole cities under water, and still nothing even on BBC24 - not to even mention the Daily Mail (which has got time and space to report on a Russian bridge).

If it is any consolation, it is on the news in Australia. It looks rather bad.

Yes, I found that strange too. I usually keep an eye on the German news, and the floods in Eastern Europe have been in the headlines there for the last few days. The situation in Poland is critical, with major evacuations, the threat of dykes collapsing and flooding parts of Warsaw and even worries about disease. And not a peep from the BBC. :huh:

If it is any consolation, it is on the news in Australia. It looks rather bad.

Thanks.

It's just when I talk to my British friends about the floods they say: 'what floods in Poland?! are there any floods?!'.

On the other hand I noticed that the BBC foreign news reports are usually covering the former parts of the British Empire or Commonwealth. They can spend countless hours on Zimbabwe, Pakistan, Jamaica or South Africa... However, there's always very little coverage from Europe. That's why in order to stay informed I watch RT on freeview.

Feck, according to Google Lodz, where my Dad was born, is badly affected.

I had no idea this was happening - thanks BBC, thanks Sky, thanks ITN.

I wonder where the rain fell to cause this as, in the videos, the sky looks blue and cloud-free?

Loved the commentary towards the end with the car going up and down.

"The car had been abandoned earlier. no-one was injured in the whole affair, However a small dog in the car was frightened and was afraid to come out. He perished along with the bridge."

Poor little ******er!

Maybe it's just me but why is there a some sort of media blackout in the UK re the massive floods in Poland?

UK meeja does tend to be anti-European, often rabidly so. So a story likely to get sympathy and which can't be blamed on Brussels is never going to be a favourite.

But even so ..... ????

That is major flooding - up to first floor on most of those buildings.

Finally, although buried in the World News section:

BBC: Toll from Poland flooding rises

The death toll from flooding in Poland has risen to at least 14, as authorities battle to deal with the worst floods in decades.

The floods hit southern Poland first, but rivers are now carrying the flood waters furthern north.

The Vistula, the county's biggest river, has burst its banks in central Poland and is threatening Warsaw.

Poland's prime minister has promised tens of millions of dollars in aid, while Russia has also offered to help.

A spokesman for the national fire brigade, Pawel Fratcak, was quoted as saying that flood levels on the Vistula and the Oder were at levels unseen since the late 19th Century.

Areas near the city of Polk, north-west of Warsaw, were among the worst affected.

In the village of Swiniary, 80km (50 miles) north-west of Warsaw, water from the country's largest river, the Vistula, breached a dyke.

_47916078_47916076.jpg

Rescue workers were blasting holes to try to divert water away from homes.

"The flood barriers in many parts of Poland are in a very poor condition now after days of inundation," said interior ministry spokeswoman Malgorzata Wozniak.

Farm animals, as well as thousands of people, were being evacuated from rural areas.

In Warsaw, the mayor warned that tens of thousands of people were at risk of having their houses flooded, and schools and a major road have been closed.

The interior ministry said it had allocated 152m zlotys (36m euros, £31m) for flood victims, Reuters news agency reported.

Russia said it was sending humanitarian aid including water pumps and diesel generators, while Mr Fratcak said rescue teams from several other states including Germany, Lithuania and Ukraine were also helping.

The floods have also affected the Czech Republic, Serbia and Slovakia.

Seems Strange that the BBC haven't picked up on it. It would fit in with their Global warming agenda, not the mention the the U.K has a large Polish community.