House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
The Masked Tulip

Welsh Assembly Won't Cut This Year

Despite knowing they have to cut 160 million the general message coming from AMs in the Welsh Assembly today is that they are not going to - it is a bt complicated to do cuts now, already in the new financial year you see, will leave the cuts until next year... at which point the cuts will be twice as much.

They are going to debate whether to cut now but, judging by the comments, they appear content to wait until next year.

Economics of the madhouse is Wales.

Oh, one of the cuts will be 2 million from the 180 odd S4C budget - already the Welsh language gogs are saying that the Tories are anti-Welsh language.

Thing is,they won't cut if somebody else has to pay for the stuff they use.

should scotland/NI/Wales be given the deal of....ok,you get independence,but you have to pay for EVERYTHING that is entailed with it,they will baulk at it.

with so much of their respective economies derived from public sector spending(bought and paid for by england),then they really ought to learn to pay their way.

much as the scots going on about "their oil"....who pays for the navy that defends it?,alongside a myriad of other social projects.

shame really,because all of these regions HAVE the capacity of make stuff and export their way out of trouble.

Thing is,they won't cut if somebody else has to pay for the stuff they use.

should scotland/NI/Wales be given the deal of....ok,you get independence,but you have to pay for EVERYTHING that is entailed with it,they will baulk at it.

with so much of their respective economies derived from public sector spending(bought and paid for by england),then they really ought to learn to pay their way.

much as the scots going on about "their oil"....who pays for the navy that defends it?,alongside a myriad of other social projects.

shame really,because all of these regions HAVE the capacity of make stuff and export their way out of trouble.

It has been said on here a zillion times before:

90% of Welsh people do not speak Welsh nor do they want independence.

The 10% of Welsh language nationalists control Wales but control it via the money that YOU give them - it is one HUGE never-ending gravy train ride for them.

Publicly, the Welsh nats want independence, privately they know they will lose all their six figure salary Welsh language QUANGO jobs... so they don't really want it...

Please do not label the vast majority of Welsh people with the Welsh nats - alas, as they have the used the Welsh language to worm themselves into all the top media, civil service, etc, jobs over the past 30 years there is virtually no way to oppose them.

Frankly, I think the vats majority of Welsh people would love to see them all put on a boat to Patagonia!

Go on England, call their bluff! Please!

It has been said on here a zillion times before:

90% of Welsh people do not speak Welsh nor do they want independence.

The 10% of Welsh language nationalists control Wales but control it via the money that YOU give them - it is one HUGE never-ending gravy train ride for them.

Publicly, the Welsh nats want independence, privately they know they will lose all their six figure salary Welsh language QUANGO jobs... so they don't really want it...

Please do not label the vast majority of Welsh people with the Welsh nats - alas, as they have the used the Welsh language to worm themselves into all the top media, civil service, etc, jobs over the past 30 years there is virtually no way to oppose them.

Frankly, I think the vats majority of Welsh people would love to see them all put on a boat to Patagonia!

Go on England, call their bluff! Please!

Here here !!

C'mon, Welsh has been spoken on this island a lot longer than English! Some respect please! I know people in my locality who couldn't even speak English until they reached their teenage years. Sure, the crachach have abused the language for their own ends. But that's no reason to disrespect the language, or the people who speak it as their native tongue. Pretty shameful really.

If you think the SNP are reviving Gaelic for the very same reason, you're sadly mistaken. Again, Gaelic was a language that was stamped upon by the ruling class in Scotland and England for hundreds of years. There's no harm in redressing the balance!

Or perhaps it's time to revive the Welsh not, or just give those natives a beating - that'll teach them for speaking their mother tongue eh!

Much of the anti-Welsh / Gaelic sentiment you hear is nothing other than thinly veiled colonial nonsense.

Cofio Macsen!

Edited by gruffydd

C'mon, Welsh has been spoken on this island a lot longer than English! Some respect please! I know people in my locality who couldn't even speak English until they reached their teenage years.

Are they now on 150K in some WAG QUANGO?

Good post. Welsh is all smoke and mirrors as far as I can see. It is the passport to the gravy train which is why the Scottish Nationalists have started putting so much into trying to revive gallic.

The thing that really makes me laugh my head off is when you get Scottish people banging on about how 'Scots' is really a language in its own right, rather than just a dialect of English. I'm not talking about Gaelic here - no, I mean Scottish English. How can it be a different language? It's no more different from 'standard' English, than, say, Geordie or broad Norfolk.

Welsh, on the other hand, is a remnant of the Britonic language that was spoken throughout England, Wales and parts of southern Scotland until after Roman times.

While it's widely known that the Cornish language is closely related to Welsh, it's not so well known that Cumbric was spoken in Cumbria until a few hundred years ago - and still lives on in place names like Penrith, Helvellyn and Blencathra - although many more names there are of Viking origin. The Cumbrian words for the numbers when counting animals are not unlike Welsh either. And 'Cumbria' has the same derivation as 'Cymru' - and the Latin for Wales was 'Cambria'

One thing that lays Welsh open to the 'smoke and mirrors' accusation is that most recent words in the language come from English - e.g ambwlans, plismon, tacsi, bws. We only have a few Welsh words in English - e.g. Corgi (dwarf dog) and penguin (head, white) - originally the name for the great awk but later applied to what we now call penguins.

English appears to be derived from Old Frisain, but it's a mystery why, since that's not the language which would have been spoken by Saxons - except that 'Saxon' might not mean people from Saxony but the Celtic term for 'foreigner' - Saesneg in Welsh and Sassenach in Gaelic - both of which have come to be applied to the English (who are as 'celtic' genetically as the Welsh or Scots anyway!).

Edited by blankster

Are they now on 150K in some WAG QUANGO?

No, thank god - an old farmer. The crachach scammers are shameful - he'd agree, I'd agree. The old uchelwyr would be far preferable!

Thatcher and co made a councious decision to buy off the educated Welsh speaking nationalist elite - it was a political decision - undermine the nationalist political movement by showering its leaders with cash. Same as it ever was. It's happened in Ireland too. Gwynfor Evans went on hunger strike so Thatcher gave him S4C. Timing his move to coincide with the dirty protests and hunger strikes in Ireland for added effect - hoping to foment massive civil unrest. Thatcher gave in. Couldn't handle Ireland and Wales at the same time - and Gwynfor knew it.

You can still sometimes see faded GO GWYNFOR slogans, if you look hard enough.

Edited by gruffydd

God the ignorance! Welsh is spoken by over 20% of the population and is on the increase which is quite remarkable really when you consider the amount of English born people that have moved to Wales which actually outnumbers the Welsh speakers!!

I live in a predominantly Welsh speaking area and can assure you that speaking Welsh is NOT a golden ticket to get on the gravy train. Go to Caernarfon (the town with the highest proportion of Welsh speakers in Wales) and see the poverty. Go to Holyhead or Llangefni and see the small nearby villages with their high levels of drug dependency.

The ability to speak Welsh gets you nowhere up here. Down South Wales however, where the money is spent, that's where you'll find the gravy train riders, the crachach (a Welsh sort of old boys network who look after each other).

Wales has contributed much to the building of the British Empire, a country rich in mineral wealth with coal that fuelled the industrial revolution. We've given in a damn site more than we've ever taken out over the years, yet is it any wonder that Wales is constantly reported as being amongst the poorest areas in the UK, the poorest areas in Europe if you look at the objective 1 funding that Wales has received over the last few years.

I agree however, that the cuts should start now, heads in the sand syndrome.

One thing that lays Welsh open to the 'smoke and mirrors' accusation is that most recent words in the language come from English - e.g ambwlans, plismon, tacsi, bws. We only have a few Welsh words in English - e.g. Corgi (dwarf dog) and penguin (head, white) - originally the name for the great awk but later applied to what we now call penguins.

To be fair, words like ambulance could be derived from Latin (which already provides Welsh with ancient words) without reference to English,

ambulance 1809, "mobile or field hospital," from Fr. (hôpital) ambulant, lit. "walking (hospital)," from L. ambulans (gen. ambulantis), from ambulare "to walk" (see amble).

My gripe is with linguistic compulsion, jobs-for-the-boys, subsidies-for-media etc. rather than where the words came from :)

Not meaning to be pedantic, but Ambulance is derived from Latin as is much of the English language. Most languages borrow words from other languages but I agree, it tickles me when I drive past a Welsh Kwik Fit with the words "Brecs, Teiars, Ecsosts, Batris" but what do you do, these are new words aren't they.

Not meaning to be pedantic, but Ambulance is derived from Latin as is much of the English language. Most languages borrow words from other languages but I agree, it tickles me when I drive past a Welsh Kwik Fit with the words "Brecs, Teiars, Ecsosts, Batris" but what do you do, these are new words aren't they.

And because the Welsh language is so limited with such a limited vocabulary that a QUANGO was set up in order to create Welsh words.

Btw, take away all the kids who are FORCED to learn Welsh until their O levels, at which point the vast majority drop it never to utter it again, then the figure of people who speak Welsh in Wales day in day out is about 10%. The WAG Nats love adding the school-kids to their figures to make it look as if more people speak Welsh than actually do in reality.

Welsh language is all FUD, QUANGO and gravy!

Tragically, the Welsh Nats in the Meeja and elsewhere have, IMPO, made themselves extremely wealthy whilst the rest of Wales has suffered - and continues to do so.

I'm guessing views on the Welsh language in Wales depend on where you're from. I grew up in N.E wales - very anglised (accent sounds more manc/scouse than Welsh) and nobody really had any time for it there. I remember being forced to take it in school and no-one was in the least interested, however looking for work when I was older I wished I would have paid more attention since the majority of jobs asked for it. I've got nothing against the language per se but have always thought it odd that such a poor region would spend so much on supporting it eg bilingual road signs, documentation, S4C etc.

And because the Welsh language is so limited with such a limited vocabulary

It's got a lot more original words than does English. English is a bastardisation of Saxon, Norse and French.

Don't knock Welsh - it's what stops us being from Swindon ;)

It's got a lot more original words than does English. English is a bastardisation of Saxon, Norse and French.

Don't knock Welsh - it's what stops us being from Swindon ;)

That's pedantic. Give me the rich language of English any day.

Darn, you've missed a trick. You probably could have got a 100K a year from the WAG simply for translating this site into Welsh! :lol:

What do you think I'm doing here ?

;)

C'mon, Welsh has been spoken on this island a lot longer than English! Some respect please! I know people in my locality who couldn't even speak English until they reached their teenage years. Sure, the crachach have abused the language for their own ends. But that's no reason to disrespect the language, or the people who speak it as their native tongue. Pretty shameful really.

If you think the SNP are reviving Gaelic for the very same reason, you're sadly mistaken. Again, Gaelic was a language that was stamped upon by the ruling class in Scotland and England for hundreds of years. There's no harm in redressing the balance!

Or perhaps it's time to revive the Welsh not, or just give those natives a beating - that'll teach them for speaking their mother tongue eh!

Much of the anti-Welsh / Gaelic sentiment you hear is nothing other than thinly veiled colonial nonsense.

Cofio Macsen!

+1 folk in Swansea can't speak English either. B)

To get back to the OP, the reason why cuts may be deferred in Wales until 2011/12 is because there are Assembly elections in May. ;)

If I was running Labour, I would make harsh cuts now and blame the Condems. :lol:

Im sure the Sims would disagree.

Theres Luvly!

It was always pretty obvious that the nationalists in both Scotland and Wales are going to react to any cuts imposed by UK PLC by trying to make political capital to support independence. In Wales the situation is a little more complex, because the WA doesn't have tax-raising powers, but the message to the Scots has to be that if they want a level of public services above that available elsewhere in the UK, then they're welcome to use their 3% tax raising power to fund it.

I live in a predominantly Welsh speaking area and can assure you that speaking Welsh is NOT a golden ticket to get on the gravy train. Go to Caernarfon (the town with the highest proportion of Welsh speakers in Wales) and see the poverty. Go to Holyhead or Llangefni and see the small nearby villages with their high levels of drug dependency.

The ability to speak Welsh gets you nowhere up here. Down South Wales however, where the money is spent, that's where you'll find the gravy train riders, the crachach (a Welsh sort of old boys network who look after each other).

Sounds very similar to comparing say the North of England with the Westminster village.