House Price Crash Forum

Catholics Whine About Abortion Advert

Guest X-QUORK

HOLA441
  • Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442

I see the organisation responsible for the cover-up of worldwide institutional child abuse is now getting its knickers in a twist about an advert for a charity offering abortion advice:

Outcry over Marie Stopes TV ad for abortion advice

Maybe they should get their own house in order before attacking legitimate charities.

Indeed, there was also a thing on the radio yesterday about the Catholic church needing to raise £1 million to fund the Pope's visit. The vatican is rolling in money, let them bloody pay for it.

HOLA443

I see the organisation responsible for the cover-up of worldwide institutional child abuse is now getting its knickers in a twist about an advert for a charity offering abortion advice:

Maybe they should get their own house in order before attacking legitimate charities.

In 2009 a 9 year old Brazilian girl was raped and made pregnant by her step father; her mother took her to a doctor who recommended she have an abortion as there was a high chance that having the baby would kill her.

Her local Archbishop (supported by the Vatican) excommunicated her mother and all the physicians involved in assisting her in getting her 9 year old daughter a (life saving) abortion.

The rapist wasn't excommunicated.

Speaks volumes about how out of wack their priorities are imo.

HOLA444

Actually,in this respect I am inclined to agree with them.

there are certain aspects of life that should not be considered "the norm",or debased by the media to a point where checking out accidental progeny should be put in the same bracket as "going for a pit-stop"

these are after all peoples lives we are talking about.

I'm not exactly in favour of the RC church's view on contraception either though...prevention is certainly better than cure.

if you don't want them don't have them.

when it comes to abortions,then there are certainly conditions like severe physical/mental ailments that will ultimately affect quality of life that can present extremely valid cases for termination,likewise with conceptions arisen from violation(rape)....but making such a severe decision should never IMHO be made to be easy.

taking precautions or keeping it in your pants in the first place is the best method.

HOLA445

there are certain aspects of life that should not be considered "the norm",or debased by the media to a point where checking out accidental progeny should be put in the same bracket as "going for a pit-stop"

Not convinced Marie Stopes does either of those things.

HOLA446
Guest X-QUORK

taking precautions or keeping it in your pants in the first place is the best method.

Agreed. By having a dig at the Catholics I'm not advocating some sort of abortion clinic drive-in.

HOLA447

Indeed, there was also a thing on the radio yesterday about the Catholic church needing to raise £1 million to fund the Pope's visit. The vatican is rolling in money, let them bloody pay for it.

They're not WE are. His visit is mostly funded by the UK taxpayer FFS. And the greedy sods want to tell us what adverts to allow!?

HOLA448

The RC church is just out of touch with reality. Whilst abortion should not be taken lightly, there are more than a few instances where it is medically advisable. More than that, accidents happen. People can take precautions and things can still go wrong through no fault of their own. I presume that the church would sooner have a woman die carrying a child than aborting the embryo.... I presume the church would be more than willing to help out financially when a couple are forced to have a child they neither want nor can afford.... thought not.

Incidentally, I make a point of being as anti catholic (well, religion) as possible. I feel it is just absurd in the modern day that they have such power. Why the hell should someone be allowed to tell me that I am damned to hell for eternity yet I am expected to respect their views and opinions. Sod that frankly. If someone starts on me, im not cutting them slack because they are hiding behind their religion.

HOLA449
HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412

I agree entirely. The message is one I'm empathetic with: it's just coming from the wrong messenger. Like social security, abortion should be a last resort safety net, not a routine, reactive contraception option. This would be analogous to Max Mosley complaining about tobacco advertising - given that the sport he represents has been sustained by it over many decades, he is hardly in any position to start taking an anti-smoking stance.

The advertiser in this case is not as ethically pure as the given snow, either. Contrary to feminist mythology, Marie Stopes was not interested in contraception because she was a champion of wimmin's rights, but rather because she was an enthusiastic champion of eugenics. In other words, she saw it as a way to prevent chavs from reproducing themselves.

HOLA4413

The advertiser in this case is not as ethically pure as the given snow, either. Contrary to feminist mythology, Marie Stopes was not interested in contraception because she was a champion of wimmin's rights, but rather because she was an enthusiastic champion of eugenics. In other words, she saw it as a way to prevent chavs from reproducing themselves.

Talking of which: Woman offered '£200 to be sterilised'

A woman has claimed she was approached near a health centre in Glasgow by three women who offered her £200 if she agreed to be sterilised.

Deborah Wilson said the offer was made as she left Possilpark Health Centre with her nine-year-old son on Friday.

Ms Wilson said the women told her they were from Project Prevention, a US group which pays drug addicts to be voluntarily sterilised.

HOLA4414
HOLA4415
HOLA4416

I really doubt many ordinary Catholics are whining - the hierarchy might be, but the hierarchy is not always very representative of the ordinary a la carte catholic majority. There is a difference.

I could just as easily write a headline stating that 'Protestants whine about abortion advert' - and they do - a few of them anyway.

HOLA4417

Paying druggies to be sterilised is a win-win IMO.

no,just lace the drugs with a sterilant at source.

if people are stupid enough to take them,then they won't have kids...period.

no need for legislation,if the fact they have sterilant in is made public,then it is very much down to personal responsibility.

you know the risks.

HOLA4418

no,just lace the drugs with a sterilant at source.

if people are stupid enough to take them,then they won't have kids...period.

no need for legislation,if the fact they have sterilant in is made public,then it is very much down to personal responsibility.

you know the risks.

Drug dealers are well known for the way they sensitively increase their cost bases for the wider public good. What is the form of this "sterilant" btw.

HOLA4419

There was a court case in Ireland a couple of years back where a young woman was pregnant with a baby that had a severe brain defect that meant it would die within a couple of days of birth and spend those days in a lot of pain. Due to the catholic church Ireland has laws which can be used to prevent a woman from leaving the country to get an abortion. I think they let her come over to get an abortion in the end but having to go through the trauma of a court case as well as the abortion is ridiculous. There was another case about 15 years ago where a girl of about 10 got raped and some busy body reported it to the police that her parents were taking her over here for an abortion. I think she was allowed to go in the end too but putting her through all that after being raped is horribly cruel.

Why should someone lose their life because of the sin of their father?

HOLA4420

If I am not mistaken, one of the key figures in the bible was born to a woman whose husband was not the father. Sounds like a sin to me. I am not sure that the mother was consulted about her willingness to take part and may well have been manipulated so she was unaware of the event. I believe the law would consider this as rape. So there we have it, God is the rapist father of a B****** child. Isn't religion great.

HOLA4421
Guest absolutezero

If the kids are aborted then who will the priests abuse?

HOLA4422

If I am not mistaken, one of the key figures in the bible was born to a woman whose husband was not the father. Sounds like a sin to me. I am not sure that the mother was consulted about her willingness to take part and may well have been manipulated so she was unaware of the event. I believe the law would consider this as rape. So there we have it, God is the rapist father of a B****** child. Isn't religion great.

I think you don't know what you are talking about.

HOLA4423
Guest happy?

You seem to have attracted the usual suspects with this one X-Q.

I'm reminded of this old ditty:

'Twas an evening in October, I'll confess I wasn't sober,

I was carting home a load with manly pride,

When my feet began to stutter and I fell into the gutter,

And a pig came up and lay down by my side.

Then I lay there in the gutter and my heart was all a-flutter,

Till a lady, passing by, did chance to say:

"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"

Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Walked away, walked away,

He was really too particular to stay.

"You can tell a man that boozes by the company he chooses,"

Then the pig got up and slowly walked away.

Then I heard a gentle mooing, it was like a pigeon cooing,

As a home returning cow stopped in her stride,

And her eyes were big and gentle; her expression sentimental,

As she curtsied low and sat down by my side.

Then I saw her eyelids flutter and a tear fell in the gutter,

As the owner of the cow did loudly say:

"Leave that brute this moment, Sonja, or your milk will curdle on ya,"

Then the cow got up and slowly walked away.

She was really too particular to stay.

"Leave that brute this moment, Sonja, or your milk will curdle on ya,"

Then the cow got up and slowly walked away.

Then the moon began to shine in that old gutter I reclined in,

Thinking of the weakness of the human race,

When a dog sat down beside me, and I thought he came to chide me,

Till he gently licked the stubble on my face.

In the gutter, still reclining, I began "Sweet Adeline-ing,"

While the dog raised up his head to loudly bay;

Then his mistress said, "Come, Fido, that disgusting man may bite you,"

Then the dog got up and slowly walked away.

Then his mistress said, "Come, Fido, that disgusting man may bite you,"

Then the dog got up and slowly walked away.

Down the street there came a clatter, and a gentle pitter-patter,

As a pair of goats along the gutter ran;

And it seemed that Billy knew me, for he quickly drew up to me,

While his wife munched on an empty sardine can.

Then again my pulse did flutter, and my heart was soft as butter;

Till the Nanny goat, unto her mate, did say:

"William dear, your social status don't include men such as that is,"

Then the goat got up and slowly walked away.

"William dear, your social status don't include men such as that is,"

Then the goat got up and slowly walked away.

Then I started in to mutter and I rose up from the gutter,

Then I sadly went about my lonely way;

I was weary, sick and busted; I was really quite disgusted,

And I vowed to sign the pledge that very day.

For each humble, lowly creature, a great lesson he can teach ya,

Like the one learned while I in the gutter lay;

In the tavern, do not tarry, when you've got all you can carry,

But take up your load and slowly walk away.

Walk away, walk away,

For the "Horrors" is an awful price to pay,

In the tavern, do not tarry, when you've got all you can carry,

But take up your load and slowly walk away.

CODA

Now lately I've been thinking that I will quit my drinking.

I'm going to leave off whiskey, beer and grog,

For there's no consolation, but only aggravation,

You can't even find friendship with a hog.

(Alternate last stanza)

I began to scratch the gravel, on my all fours I did travel,

I rambled down the road the best I could.

When I awoke next morning, just as the day was dawning,

I was in a hog pen away out in the woods.

Then the hogs began to grumble, I started and I stumbled,

I fell right in their midst and there I lay.

Then one by one they started, till all the herd departed,

Yes, every hog got up and walked away.

Walked away, etc.

HOLA4424

I think you don't know what you are talking about.

My father in law was head of the local church and this sort of answer is common. There is rarely an attempt to deal with arguements, merely the defence that the non-believers amongst us know nothing. Often one can have discussions about scientific matters and somehow religion is all knowing - stuff quantum mechanical tunnelling, god did it.

So why not address the points? Was the mother of Jesus married to the supposed father? Was the mother of Jesus totally complicit? Was she given a choice or was she simply informed of 'how it was going to be'? I am always happy to learn but the evasion I have experienced for many years has only led me to asking more and more offensive questions. The sooner someone starts answering, the sooner I (and others like me) will be willing to listen. Until then, it is a bunch of stories which may well have some historical fact but which have been the subject of some horrendously questionable interpretations.

HOLA4425

Archived