House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

the coming storm

Having A Second Job Or Another Source Of Income

Anyone out there got a second job, or other sources of income outside their "career". I find in the UK, your frowned upon for having a second job - as being money grabbing or greedy - yet there must be people running their own businesses who have to work lots of hours, or middle or high level management level job where they have to work every hour of their free time - what the difference in working two jobs. The same people who frown upon you for trying to earn extra cash - would be first ones to attack you if you were in debt or could not pay your bills. It seems its socially acceptable to go work backstab everyone and move up the career ladder, but try carving out an income for yourself in anything outside your main job, and your the worst in the world, or you are "taking" someone's job. It just feels in the UK everything is about jealousy, and no one wants you to succeed. As long as your just getting by, and not earning much more than them, then your ok.

I mean look at all the MPs recently, milking the system for expenses, employing family members, flipping properties, having a second or even a third job - although not very nice, should we not all learn from them.

Whats wrong with someone working in there spare time - its seems employers are getting cheekier, nastier, greedier all the time - so why not just play them at their own game and use them as source of income, amongst other sources of income.

I realise thats its not always practical to get another job, and its not always worth it if the only choices are stacking shelves in tescos or working in a bar - but there a people who have managed it.

Surely HPCers - can analyse economic data to death but when it comes down to it , its about making more cash.

Anyone out there got a second job, or other sources of income outside their "career".

Some careers involve many jobs running in parallel. From the top (lots of non-executive directorships for instance) to the more mundane (you're sure to know some).

Even with just one job, most of us have a few quid from savings; some folks also dividends. I have book royalties.

It seems to be the thing to do in the states, if you need cash you get a second job. I think over there they value hard work and effort more than we do here, I'd imagine if you went for a job here already having one they would question your commitment and whether you would put the hours in.

I have often considered it, but as a higher rate tax payer for the effort I'd be putting in it woulds be for very little return, especially given the sort of jobs you could get as a second job. If I could earn the same hourly rate as I do full time I'd consider it but having said that I value my free time a lot. I think the only way it would be practical is if it could be something my wife and I could do together otherwise we wouldn't see each other.

I have a couple of fingers in on-line businesses but they are more of a hobby than a full blown business and the returns are not equal to the effort put in.

Some careers involve many jobs running in parallel. From the top (lots of non-executive directorships for instance) to the more mundane (you're sure to know some).

Even with just one job, most of us have a few quid from savings; some folks also dividends. I have book royalties.

yeah and likewise I do with buy to let properties and savings - its that with houseprices and the cost of living the way it is - many people are destined to work for most of their life - and never do much more than earn a living.. They might get on the property ladder, then along comes kids etc. yeah if your earning 80K a year and no kids, no problem, no need for a second job... but think how many out there don't earn this - or some that earn near that have to support family, kids, parents etc.

how can you get savings, save for a pension, get share dividends, get on the property ladder, have decent standard of living on 20K a year. yet still employers demand unquestioning loyalty with empty promises of training and development for not far off subsistence wages.

It seems to be the thing to do in the states, if you need cash you get a second job. I think over there they value hard work and effort more than we do here, I'd imagine if you went for a job here already having one they would question your commitment and whether you would put the hours in.

Well thats the route of the problem. The mentality of employers - what business is it of an employer what you do in spare time - don't we live in a free country where we are free to make our own choices, without some sort of big brother hanging over your shoulder questioning if your working at something else in your spare time. Which means your boss is aware of exactly how much your earn, and that you have no other income from any source - therefore in order to have more cash, you need to ask for a pay raise.

Questioning your committment? are they just not worried that they have less power over you. Its amazes the amount of control people hand over to their employers, all for earning a living.

Guest theboltonfury

I have often considered it, but as a higher rate tax payer for the effort I'd be putting in it woulds be for very little return, especially given the sort of jobs you could get as a second job. If I could earn the same hourly rate as I do full time I'd consider it but having said that I value my free time a lot. I think the only way it would be practical is if it could be something my wife and I could do together otherwise we wouldn't see each other.

I have a couple of fingers in on-line businesses but they are more of a hobby than a full blown business and the returns are not equal to the effort put in.

They certainly value eating more than we do.