House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bingobob777

Lost

No thread to discuss the ending of the greatest TV show ever??

Well I personally was up at 04.50 to see it and I'm not ashamed to say I cried.

So there.

No thread to discuss the ending of the greatest TV show ever??

Well I personally was up at 04.50 to see it and I'm not ashamed to say I cried.

So there.

Was it the journey or the destination?

Never watched it. I have trouble following Bond movies so don't even try with stuff that gets discussed in the Cult sub-forum at digitalspy.

Guest X-QUORK

I gave up on episode three of series one, when it became apparent they were going to string it out for years.

great show. didnt watch at 5am but caught it this morning. didnt miss any of the 121 episodes. lot of people i know arent really happy with the ending(being in the wanting the mysteries answered camp). for me its a show like no other in terms of how it has captivated me since episode 1.

I was really unimpressed with it - I really thought Lost was going to have some sort of point. The never explained what the island was.

What do you feel wasn't explained? The light/electromagnetism/exotic matter was keeping a massive amount of tectonic energy in check, energy that without the light would have ripped apart the island, and most likely the world!! What more do you need to know?

A ridiculous ending.

A total cop out by the writers. They could have ended it in many different ways. The way they did it in the end was not disimilar to Bobby Ewing's shower scene. But it seemed better because we were drugged by the emotions.

What do you feel wasn't explained? The light/electromagnetism/exotic matter was keeping a massive amount of tectonic energy in check, energy that without the light would have ripped apart the island, and most likely the world!! What more do you need to know?

Even with unanswered questions, the light was already clearly more than just something preventing this kind of tectonic event.

It made fake Locke mortal. So what is "the light"?

The more I think about this episode's ending, the more I like it, and the more I share the the writers' view that the mysteries aren't important. The central message of LOST is that our time together is the most important thing. But even that is transitory. In the end, all life will end, no matter how long it takes.

Guest X-QUORK

What was the invisible thing moving around in the trees all the way back at the beginning?

SPOILER ALERT. IF YOU DON'T WANT SPOILERS THEN YOU SHOULDNT BE READING THIS THREAD ANYWAY!!! GO AWAY!

What was the invisible thing moving around in the trees all the way back at the beginning?

If you keep reading and don't want to be spoilt then you need to turn away now!

People on forums call him Smokey. He is the embodiment of a guy with no name who was brother to Jacob, one of the been around for ages protectors of the island with mythical abilities. He took the body of Locke for the final series and was killed at the end. I was expecting a bit more of a final standoff to be honest.

The more I think about this episode's ending, the more I like it, and the more I share the the writers' view that the mysteries aren't important. The central message of LOST is that our time together is the most important thing. But even that is transitory. In the end, all life will end, no matter how long it takes.

That's a cop out if that is their view. They spent six years showing that BOTH the plot AND the characters were of EQUALLY HIGH importance. It still seemed that way right until the last 30 minutes. Then they jetissoned the plot (even though they could easily have offered a good explanation, there are many theories on forums alone) and gave us the warm, mushy, everyone survives moment we all wanted. They could have given us BOTH.

This is what I posted to another forum and sums up my feelings:

I started off this ep feeling that it was great. The memories were coming back to those in the ATL. Great! Something is going to happen! And I'm already almost crying anyway.

But the last few minutes were a total let down. I originally thought that Desmond was on a mission to get everyone to remember the original timeline, and when they did then they would urgently get together to save the island or whoever somehow.

Instead, we got what I would call a cross between Bobby Ewing emerging out of the shower and the end to a particular Tom Cruise movie (those of you who have seen it will know which one I mean)!

Yes, I got the reunion I badly wanted. I already have the memories of the character development. But the glue holding it all together, the plot, became an irrelevance.

TBTB think it's OK to string people along with a few answers accompanied by many more questions. But with this ending, they made all those Q&A irrelevant. They certainly made half of the final series (the ATL scenes) completely irrelevant.

It seems like TPTB built up a science-fiction basis for the series and did very well to make it so diverse and yet still cohesive. But in the end, they abandoned it, and I don't think it was necessary to do so. They could have given us a plausible explanation for the island and its mysteries. There were enough theories on these boards and I would have been quite happy for one of them to be true (I thought there would be a "winner"). Instead we got this BS dreamy ending!

Some more thoughts and questions (of course, I don't expect the questions to be answered).

- loved Jin's expression when he saw Sawyer after his realisation!

- how does Hurley end up dying? I thought that the protector (like Jacob) is immortal? Or did all immortality stop after the reset? (like with Richard)

- one would assume from the shared flashback/realisations in the ATL/purgatory that this is not just Jack's version of purgatory. These shared moments are real and cannot simply be irrelevant. These are also all about the island so if all these ATL people are already dead and suddenly know about meeting up later, it implies that flashbacks about the island are a kind of calling to a reunion.

- I also assume the reunion is a major special one-off event (not held when everyone dies) because they all seem so happy to see each other again finally, even reunions are being made such as Shannon and Syed (strange that Shannon and not Nadia was his "one", let's face it, Syed only had a short fling with Shannon). So clearly, Jack is important in some way. He is central to the reunion, with Christian's funeral.

- Why did Flocke want to put Desmond in the light? Did he know exactly what would happen? Did it not intrigue him that Jack also wanted to do the same thing? Maybe he thought that Jack was playing along with no options but it should have crossed his mind that this was both of their last hands to play and so the outcome would not necessarily be favourable to him. Basically, it's like they both made a pact to roll the dice and throw Desmond in the light. They could have avoided all the bloodshed and agreed this a few episodes back!

- Why did Flocke want to kill the candidates? If all he cared about was getting Desmond into the light, he could have done that when he had Desmond instead of putting him in the well for later.

- liked Flocke when he shared a "hatch" moment with Jack.

- glad that Locke made an appearance and liked the Ben scene. After making Ben turn selfish again by siding with Flocke, at least they finished off more appropriately.

He is not evil after all.

- so Jack's son is also the son of Juliet (his ex-wife I presume?)? Judging by the total lack of comments here about this so far, did I miss something? For me, this was a major WOAH moment! I can only think that I missed something earlier in the series and my memory is sketchy. But then, if so, then why was that scene made to look significant in the finale?

- why was Flocke so care free after the plug was pulled? He knew that if his last throw of the dice was to work, that it would allow him to leave the island and live as a mortal in the real world. So why was he not smart enough to make the first move (instead of Jack attacking him)? Plus he allowed his defences to slip, even though he knew he would or he might become mortal and therefore vulnerable to attack. He actually looked surprised when he saw blood!

- they let Jack talk them into he being the one to go back and switch "it" back on again. Given how much they have all risked so far and not even knowing if the plane would make it in time, I'm surprised that someone more healthy than Jack didn't volunteer to go inside and do it. Even Ben could have rushed down the rope and shoved the plug back in instead of generally looking useless for this episode.

- drinking of the water. It made Jacob immortal yet it didn't for Jack. So I presume it is simply symbolic?

- Desmond? He didn't make the plane. Did he just die on the island or survive? Maybe he died shortly before or after Jack and was as important as Jack in the end? Making the Jack-centric reunion a little one-sided?

- Jack ended up downriver. How did that happen? Why didn't Hurley or Ben go into the tunnel to have a look and go after Jack? Clearly it is not as dangerous as was claimed by Jacob's mother to simply poke your head around the corner and see. Or I suppose it was just designed that way so Jack could get back to the same point in the jungle as where he started?

- Remember how TPTB said that they planned the last three seasons and the ending (and only Matthew Fox knew it etc.) when they got the green light to finish off the series? Is this how they really planned it? If so, this is a ridiculous storywriting effort.

- The final explanation by Christian is that this new existence, formerly known as the ATL, is simply a place where people who shared a common, life changing experience and bond one day come together (I say "one day", because everyone looked so happy to see each other and even couple reunions were taking place, in a sense it was not really that Jack-centric, only that Jack was the last person to know. Till then, the entire ATL could even have been Sawyer-centric). There is no here and now because it does not follow the normal constructs of time and space as we know them (except the point of dying, which is still fixed in history). That is fair enough but it still doesn't explain the island. You could argue they are saying "the characters are more important than the plot". Sure, we know that already. But we want both!

- Are we supposed to believe that Kate or Sawyer never met anyone else? At the reunion (after their deaths), she sure is friendly with Jack and likewise Sawyer with Juliet.

- Glad that Jack did not die alone. Has been said already.

- If the whole ATL construct was designed to get everyone back for their reunion, in the place they built themselves (and yet somehow forgot, according to these new rules) then why did Desmond have such a special role in bringing everyone together? Was he the first to find out? And if so, why? I don't even remember him having a revelation himself in earlier episodes, maybe someone can fill us in again? We were sold the idea of Desmond helping to link two timelines. Turns out the ATL wasn't even a timeline. It was a construct of the afterlife. So why lead us down the wrong path for a whole season. This doesn't even feel like a "twist" to the story - can anyone here honestly call the ending a "twist"? I don't.

- Of course the ending is poetic. It gave us the reunion. Jack, my favourite character, saved the day and sacrificed his life to do it (though of course, so many others did too, like Juliette). Add the score too and it was emotional. But it still seems a cop out, they could have given us both emotions and answers. But they just fudged an answer to create emotions.

- If anything, by making such a cack ending in the last episode, I think that many will be encouraged to write scripts for their own endings. Probably the creators will try to claim credit for this but the reality is that they did not deliver and it will be people doing a better job of the ending than they could be bothered to.

smokey !! or the man in black!! or flocke!!

clearer now ?!

lol you must read Lost TV forums too! Remember "Fenry" before we knew he was Ben? lol :D

Guest absolutezero

great show. didnt watch at 5am but caught it this morning. didnt miss any of the 121 episodes. lot of people i know arent really happy with the ending(being in the wanting the mysteries answered camp). for me its a show like no other in terms of how it has captivated me since episode 1.

Absolutely agree.

I'm still debating the ending. With myself....

me too, just about to settle down for a 2nd viewing.

I have been rewatching it all day and reading Lost TV Forums.

This was a cheat ending.

I mean, I cry every time I watch it. But it must rank as one of the laziest cop out and downright absurd endings of all time. I will never invest time again in a series written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

I have been rewatching it all day and reading Lost TV Forums.

This was a cheat ending.

I mean, I cry every time I watch it. But it must rank as one of the laziest cop out and downright absurd endings of all time. I will never invest time again in a series written by Damon Lindelof and Carlton Cuse.

what in particular?

Pretty much summed up in my earlier longish post.

Good summary. I got up very early too, I couldn't miss it but was left disappointed by the ending. Will watch it again though tomorrow night.

Will miss it. :(

Pretty much summed up in my earlier longish post.

I started off this ep feeling that it was great. The memories were coming back to those in the ATL. Great! Something is going to happen! And I'm already almost crying anyway.

But the last few minutes were a total let down. I originally thought that Desmond was on a mission to get everyone to remember the original timeline, and when they did then they would urgently get together to save the island or whoever somehow.

The sideways alt timeline is irrelevant to the original one, except perhaps for Desmond, it seems one

Instead, we got what I would call a cross between Bobby Ewing emerging out of the shower and the end to a particular Tom Cruise movie (those of you who have seen it will know which one I mean)!

Yes, I got the reunion I badly wanted. I already have the memories of the character development. But the glue holding it all together, the plot, became an irrelevance.

TBTB think it's OK to string people along with a few answers accompanied by many more questions. But with this ending, they made all those Q&A irrelevant. They certainly made half of the final series (the ATL scenes) completely irrelevant.

It seems like TPTB built up a science-fiction basis for the series and did very well to make it so diverse and yet still cohesive. But in the end, they abandoned it, and I don't think it was necessary to do so. They could have given us a plausible explanation for the island and its mysteries. There were enough theories on these boards and I would have been quite happy for one of them to be true (I thought there would be a "winner"). Instead we got this BS dreamy ending!

Some more thoughts and questions (of course, I don't expect the questions to be answered).

- loved Jin's expression when he saw Sawyer after his realisation!

- how does Hurley end up dying? I thought that the protector (like Jacob) is immortal? Or did all immortality stop after the reset? (like with Richard) - Who knows, why does everyone have to die and why do we need to know how?

- one would assume from the shared flashback/realisations in the ATL/purgatory that this is not just Jack's version of purgatory. These shared moments are real and cannot simply be irrelevant. These are also all about the island so if all these ATL people are already dead and suddenly know about meeting up later, it implies that flashbacks about the island are a kind of calling to a reunion. - Seems like it's a shared version, just need to accept it, does seem a bit weird that none of those who got off would have nothing more memorable happen later in their life, but I'm happy to accept it.

- I also assume the reunion is a major special one-off event (not held when everyone dies) because they all seem so happy to see each other again finally, even reunions are being made such as Shannon and Syed (strange that Shannon and not Nadia was his "one", let's face it, Syed only had a short fling with Shannon). So clearly, Jack is important in some way. He is central to the reunion, with Christian's funeral. - It was a story about the Lost characters and how they died, what happens to anyone else isn't important. The sayid one I accept.

- Why did Flocke want to put Desmond in the light? Did he know exactly what would happen? Did it not intrigue him that Jack also wanted to do the same thing? Maybe he thought that Jack was playing along with no options but it should have crossed his mind that this was both of their last hands to play and so the outcome would not necessarily be favourable to him. Basically, it's like they both made a pact to roll the dice and throw Desmond in the light. They could have avoided all the bloodshed and agreed this a few episodes back! - Until jack put the plug back in Flockes plan was working.

- Why did Flocke want to kill the candidates? If all he cared about was getting Desmond into the light, he could have done that when he had Desmond instead of putting him in the well for later. - If the candidates were dead there would be no one to put the plug back in.

- liked Flocke when he shared a "hatch" moment with Jack.

- glad that Locke made an appearance and liked the Ben scene. After making Ben turn selfish again by siding with Flocke, at least they finished off more appropriately.

He is not evil after all.

- so Jack's son is also the son of Juliet (his ex-wife I presume?)? Judging by the total lack of comments here about this so far, did I miss something? For me, this was a major WOAH moment! I can only think that I missed something earlier in the series and my memory is sketchy. But then, if so, then why was that scene made to look significant in the finale? - That was just part of Jack's version of purgatory, he had no son in the real timeline. No idea why his vision of purgatory would have seen him marrried to Juliette rather than Kate.

- why was Flocke so care free after the plug was pulled? He knew that if his last throw of the dice was to work, that it would allow him to leave the island and live as a mortal in the real world. So why was he not smart enough to make the first move (instead of Jack attacking him)? Plus he allowed his defences to slip, even though he knew he would or he might become mortal and therefore vulnerable to attack. He actually looked surprised when he saw blood!

- they let Jack talk them into he being the one to go back and switch "it" back on again. Given how much they have all risked so far and not even knowing if the plane would make it in time, I'm surprised that someone more healthy than Jack didn't volunteer to go inside and do it. Even Ben could have rushed down the rope and shoved the plug back in instead of generally looking useless for this episode. - Well Jack is and always has been Jack, what else did you expect.

- drinking of the water. It made Jacob immortal yet it didn't for Jack. So I presume it is simply symbolic? - He was briefly until the plug was taken out.

- Desmond? He didn't make the plane. Did he just die on the island or survive? Maybe he died shortly before or after Jack and was as important as Jack in the end? Making the Jack-centric reunion a little one-sided? - He survived and died at some point in the future that's all we know. If you like Hurley got him off the island and he lived a happy life with Penny and Charlie, does it matter though?

- Jack ended up downriver. How did that happen? Why didn't Hurley or Ben go into the tunnel to have a look and go after Jack? Clearly it is not as dangerous as was claimed by Jacob's mother to simply poke your head around the corner and see. Or I suppose it was just designed that way so Jack could get back to the same point in the jungle as where he started? - It was designed that way, Jack dying ialone n the exact same spot as he woke up in episode 1, magic, magic moment.

- Remember how TPTB said that they planned the last three seasons and the ending (and only Matthew Fox knew it etc.) when they got the green light to finish off the series? Is this how they really planned it? If so, this is a ridiculous storywriting effort. -

- The final explanation by Christian is that this new existence, formerly known as the ATL, is simply a place where people who shared a common, life changing experience and bond one day come together (I say "one day", because everyone looked so happy to see each other and even couple reunions were taking place, in a sense it was not really that Jack-centric, only that Jack was the last person to know. Till then, the entire ATL could even have been Sawyer-centric). There is no here and now because it does not follow the normal constructs of time and space as we know them (except the point of dying, which is still fixed in history). That is fair enough but it still doesn't explain the island. You could argue they are saying "the characters are more important than the plot". Sure, we know that already. But we want both! - The island is as explained in the original timeline for the last 6 years.

- Are we supposed to believe that Kate or Sawyer never met anyone else? At the reunion (after their deaths), she sure is friendly with Jack and likewise Sawyer with Juliet. - lame I guess, but not unknown for people not to remarry after losing a husband/wife early.

- Glad that Jack did not die alone. Has been said already. - Didn't he?

- If the whole ATL construct was designed to get everyone back for their reunion, in the place they built themselves (and yet somehow forgot, according to these new rules) then why did Desmond have such a special role in bringing everyone together? Was he the first to find out? And if so, why? I don't even remember him having a revelation himself in earlier episodes, maybe someone can fill us in again? We were sold the idea of Desmond helping to link two timelines. Turns out the ATL wasn't even a timeline. It was a construct of the afterlife. So why lead us down the wrong path for a whole season. This doesn't even feel like a "twist" to the story - can anyone here honestly call the ending a "twist"? I don't.

- Of course the ending is poetic. It gave us the reunion. Jack, my favourite character, saved the day and sacrificed his life to do it (though of course, so many others did too, like Juliette). Add the score too and it was emotional. But it still seems a cop out, they could have given us both emotions and answers. But they just fudged an answer to create emotions.

- If anything, by making such a cack ending in the last episode, I think that many will be encouraged to write scripts for their own endings. Probably the creators will try to claim credit for this but the reality is that they did not deliver and it will be people doing a better job of the ending than they could be bothered to.

You just need to let go biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

lol I can't let go!!!!

This sums it up, copied and pasted from elsewhere:

Just had to chime in with some final words. It sucked.

Like everyone else I was enjoying the finale. Very much so. I was hoping the island would be destroyed and that the ALT time prevailed and everyone lived happily ever after in LA having secret "Island Reunions" cause only "they know".

Hokey but infinitely better than the crap they just handed us.

In fact, I think the ONLY reason they went this direction is that NO ONE would have predicted it. They outsmarted us to the last. That seemed to have been the ultimate goal on the creator's part. Ego got the best of them. To walk away from this saying "We pulled it off!! No one figured it out! Look how clever we are!!"

It was an ego thing. They wanted to win and feel all superior. So to be clever, they had to go stupid.

But it was simply STUPID. The ending rendered ALL that went before it as irrelevant.

Insert ANY story of a band of people suffering through hardship only to wind up "bonded" together by that hardship so that they would wait around for each other prior "move on" into the afterlife.

A band a soldiers in wartime, concentration camp victims, a group of civilians in an occupied city in wartime, etc. Get the point? It could have been ANYTHING!

...or how about a man dies but waits for the love of his life to die before they both could move on to "heaven". Wait. That was the Titanic. Done, done and done.

Sorry to say this but crap, crap and more crap. This sucked.

It was lazy and inconsiderate and will go down in TV history as the ultimate "LONG CON".

also:

Season 1 Fans: "They're all dead."

Season 1 TPTb: "No, it's much deeper."

Season 6 Fans: "WTF?"

Season 6 TPTb: "Oh. They're all dead."

lol I can't let go!!!!

This sums it up, copied and pasted from elsewhere:

also:

what happened, happened. Forget the sideways timeline in season 6 and everything else still stands perfectly well. All those upset at the ending seem to forget that in all honestly the purgatory story makes no difference to what happened on the island

your 2nd quote makes no sense, at the end of series 1 they weren't all dead.

And at the end of series 6 they aren't all dead, all we know is at some point they will be