House Price Crash Forum
pescouk

Leaving The Uk

Hi, I occassionally read topics here about people wanting to leave the UK in search of greener pastures.

Well whats stopping you? I.e. are you saving, is it family, scared? Please enlighten

as I would honestly like to know.

I think that GB is a great country to work in and having seen some of the country (although living in South West London all my life except at UNI when I was in Bristol) and I have to say I would happily retire here.

Please tell me why, if your so unhappy with the UK you are still here? If I was in prison and told I was allowed to leave I would leave the building and not stay complaining about how bad it was.

This is not a rant but trying to understand if your so unhappy why you stay? You only live once and lifes to short to be unhappy.

Also I have travelled ........india, thailand, south africa, poland , brazil, slovenia, malaysia, Isreal, Cyprus and the weather maybe better but many things are MUCH WORSE.

Well whats stopping you?

Gee, you don't think that maybe it's because skilled workers with money have to jump through hoops, fill out forms and then wait up to several years for a residency visa, if they want to move to a developed nation outside the EU?

For someone who's supposedly travelled so much, you seem to have a very naive view of the ease with which skilled workers can emigrate: I've known too many people who've sold up and moved abroad on a temporary work visa only to have to come back a few months later when they were sacked to move without residency.

Applicants to emigrate to Canada from the UK, for example, are currently being told that the immigration staff won't even look at their paperwork until three years after they apply... meaning if you apply now, you might be able to go there in 2009.

Edited by MarkG

Well, I guess there are two camps of people here - those who are so hacked off they do eventually leave and those who just like to moan.

Having said that - it takes a lot to follow through and actually choose somewhere else to go, get off your ass and do it. If you're happy with where you live, that's great, but if you're not, well, at least you can do something about it.

The thin red line, often tested never broken... cricket on the village green,... strolling in the park on Sunday afternoons admiring all the feminine ladies out for a walk... our sense of fair play and decency... freedom, equality and liberty for all... our tolerant nation whose values are believed in and defended by all who live in these British Isles... a courteous, polite people who help old ladies across the road and who always let the other car out of a side street...

Thank goodness I do not live in a country where the women have all turned in 100 weight gross wart-hogs puking up lager and kebabs on the streets... or where young men who can barely read and write grunt "Wot you lookin at?" to anyone who catches their eye on a weekend night... or a stressful place where people work some of the longest hours in the Western World, are over-taxed and yet still can barely afford to live...

I think that leaving family and friends, finding well paid employment and language barriers are the main reason that people don't rush to leave these shores

I would leave either for Southern Ireland or France.

Did try but I have livestock that I consider to be pets and the EU directives won't let me take them. Ho ho - We have free movement don't we? Nope.

I took my case to Brussels but went round in big fat circles to get back where I started.

My MEP was carp but he was getting paid so what the hell does he care?

Plus:

I've had lousy estate agents both buying and selling - So awkward of me not to sell at a very low price to a chap who turned out to be one of the estate agents mates! What a bitch I am.

I've been ripped off by landlords and other agents.

All the professional bodies that govern the "professionals" are crap.

You'll like this one: I put a complaint into the Scottish Law Society because a solicitor had doubled my bill and guess who they gave the complaint to so they could mediate on the issue? The solicitor who I'd put the complaint in against!

Gosh what logic!

I just felt the system was soooooo fair!

Houses are either falling down or built of cardboard.

The transport system is useless.

You can't get a decent dentist.

You can't buy an honest newspaper with accurate reporting.

You get famous by sleeping with somebody famous!!!

The laws governing rental properties are archaic.

The quick buck mentality predonimates? What the hell happened to a fair days work for a fair days pay?

The Government treat us like a bunch of thick malliable puppets (which we are).

We import a bucket load of garbage carp to eat and happily let our own farming industry flush down the nearest sewer.

Everything is hyped into hysteria just to sell more papers because they know the Sheeple will go with it cos their brains are in their backside.

.......and I HATE it!

Ahem.......I may have gone a little off thread there in comparision to the much more reason responses of the other posters.

I think language and friends are an issue for many people as well. But then I would be quite prepared to learn another language if I thought I could easily GET OFF THIS SINKING SUIT FILLED DUMPIT HEAP!!!

Did try but I have livestock that I consider to be pets and the EU directives won't let me take them.  Ho ho - We have free movement don't we? Nope.

I took my case to Brussels but went round in big fat circles to get back where I started.

Plus:

I've had lousy estate agents both buying and selling - So awkward of me not to sell at a very low price to a chap who turned out to be one of the estate agents mates! What a bitch I am.

You'll like this one: I put a complaint into the Scottish Law Society because a solicitor had doubled my bill and guess who they gave the complaint to so they could mediate on the issue?  The solicitor who I'd put the complaint in against!

Gosh what logic!

The quick buck mentality predonimates? What the hell happened to a fair days work for a fair days pay?

We import a bucket load of garbage carp to eat and happily let our own farming industry flush down the nearest sewer.

Everything is hyped into hysteria just to sell more papers because they know the Sheeple will go with it cos their brains are in their backside.

.......and I HATE it!

So nothing really major to complain about. A few niggles admittedly. But on the whole I sensed your love of this sceptred isle.

I guess some don't want to leave due to the social security benefits here. As your well aware, the uk benefits allow people who become unemployed to fall back on these handouts, whereas other countries don't.

Did try but I have livestock that I consider to be pets and the EU directives won't let me take them.  Ho ho - We have free movement don't we? Nope.

Plus:

You'll like this one: I put a complaint into the Scottish Law Society because a solicitor had doubled my bill and guess who they gave the complaint to so they could mediate on the issue?  The solicitor who I'd put the complaint in against!

Gosh what logic!

.......and I HATE it!

Couldnt agree more with all your points. The experiences i have had with both inept and rip-off dentists would make your hair curl.

Incidentally the house price boom is even more fierce in Ireland so maybe not such a good choice.

Repeat after me "I am emigrating to Bulgaria where property and the cost of living is cheap and there is less anti-social behaviour" LOL :blink::o

Edited by penbat1

Hi Penbat,

I know all the stuff about the house prices in Ireland but if you look down market at the rural stuff there are still loads to be had in the very, very, manageble price range.

Wish I had a boat!

I would not think too seriously about it because I would not want to be so far from my folks. I think family and friends are the main factors for most people.

I like the countryside here as well.

I think it is pretty normal for people to sound off about things. Its a bit like your football team, you can bitch about them but most people would not swap em.

Ahem.......I may have gone a little off thread there in comparision to the much more reason responses of the other posters.

I think language and friends are an issue for many people as well.  But then I would be quite prepared to learn another language if I thought I could easily GET OFF THIS SINKING SUIT FILLED DUMPIT HEAP!!!

Not at all, dipstick. But you're right - friends and family are what you miss the most. I moved away from the UK four years ago and I'd be lying if I said it was all plain sailing - but life never is, so why expect moving abroad to be? On the other hand, still think it was the best thing to do given how I felt about living in London. Learning another language isn't so bad, it just takes a long time and a lot of patience from the locals (which fortunately, we've had).

Repeat after me "I am emigrating to Bulgaria where property and the cost of living is cheap and there is less anti-social behaviour" LOL  :blink:  :o

Bulgaria may be cheap but what do you do once you get there?

What's it like to get work and is the language a major obstacle?

Where did you go Giri?

I wouldn't mind learning another language at all but I do think to go and live abroad without even knowing the basics really is naive. Or maybe many English still think everybody should speak our language?

Wish I could say it was a "sounding off" Confused, but it ain't.

Everyone I seem to have dealt with in the last 6 years in particular, has been looking for an angle.

Through my eyes and experiences we seem tacky, cheap, stupid, greedy, arrogant, uneducated, untrained and so far up our own backsides it's a wonder we can get off the sofa!

Our culture is disappearing. This is nothing to do with immigration or anything like that. This is because we have let our sense of identity diminish because we don't actually care about it.

Councils that have stupid planning regs and are ungoverned.

Police, that are so quick to jump if you go 1 mph over the limit but show bugger all interest in burgalry, arson (in my sisters case) - Route of least resistence is the title I would apply to them.

Politcians who couldn't lie straight in bed and are willing to sell us down the swanny to please either large corporations or their mates in high places!

Sorry but I just don't like what England is becoming any more. We just don't have many reasons left to be so ****-sure of ourselves. To be honest I think we are becoming a bit of a joke.

The countryside is nice though!

Bulgaria may be cheap but what do you do once you get there?

What's it like to get work and is the language a major obstacle?

There are a few work opportunities but not many. In general there are two types of Brits living there:

1/the type who just have a holiday home there but still live in the UK most of the time

2/the type who have saved up enough dosh and have retired there permanently

I am type 2. So in some respects it is like Spain - you either go there to a holiday home or you retire there - not many go to Spain to get a job.

Most younger and professional Bulgarians speak English OK. Just like Spain you could move into a British enclave and not bother much with the ethnic culture or you can get immersed in it if you so wish.

This is because we have let our sense of identity diminish because we don't actually care about it.

Actually, I think a lot of people do care about British culture and identity: the problem is that they _despise_ historical British culture and have set out to destroy it in any way possible. And they've pretty much succeeded at this point: few of the things that made Britain a good place to live a century ago are still true today.

Britain's real problem is that it's one of the few countries in the world where the 'intelligensia' despise their own culture... and not because it's been a failure, but because it's been so successful. They don't seem to be able to stand the fact that we used to run a quarter of the planet and that dead white British men (and some dead white British women, and dead non-white British men and women) created so much of the modern world.

Edited by MarkG

I don't believe Mark that we actually have much left to build on.

We are flaccid. Opinionated certainly but not inspired enough to get off our backsides and stand up and be counted.

Taking it from the bottom level if you like, the times I hear people spout off about how hard working and great they are, when in actual fact the evidence points otherwise.

Back to the EA thing for a minute (it is a housing forum after all!) I had a little bit of a run in with somebody the other day who was saying how hard she worked in as an EA and how horrible and terrible the customers were. i.e. not turning up for viewings etc. and how she had to work 10 hours a day and it was soooooo difficult.

I pointed out (as I have been on the receiving end for so long) that:

A) It was a customer service environment ie some people are difficult

B) If they did their job more efficiently in the first place they would not be so busy i.e. don't send out a brochure for a semi detached property to somebody who wants a detached. Don't send them 2 brochures for a property that was sold 2 weeks prior. etc etc.

C) If they weren't such money grabbing leeches and striving to get every penny out of each sale they would see that there are other factors to finding a "suitable" purchaser and they wouldn't waste so much of their time on the big money promises.

Not my fault if the people in a service sector industry don't actually have the wherewithall to judge people and learn by their mistakes.

Hey guess what? Any idiot can make money when times are good. The bad times sort the wheat from the chaff and a lot of people are about to enter the grinding stone! But obviously it won't be their fault. It will be somebody elses. Because like the credit mess we have also got ourselves into "it is somebody elses fault". No sense of personal responsibility never mind social or cultural.

Where is the work ethic?

Why do we think we are great when we obviously aren't?

Who is telling us we are great?

Yes we used to have a culture and national pride. There is absolutely nothing stopping us from having that again if we want it. Trouble is it has to be earned and I think deep down we know we aren't actually earning the pride.

Also it takes bottle to stand up and be counted. People are fine giving opinions or approaching a situation where they have loads of backing or cover, but take a risk? I think not.

Well I have run away to one of the colonies, (hence the name) and let me tell you, I would not look back for any amount of money.

The quality of life in some of these former colonies is astounding compared to the UK. Much of this is not due to the cheap prices, but the attitudes of the locals.

In the uk, success is judged on the size of your TV and the registration letter of your car. Who cares if you are in hock up the ying yang and work a 60hr week.

People in the UK whinge about immigration, but what amazes me is how they keep the country full. Over here I earn less money but my standard of living is higher. Go figure.

Where did you go Giri?

I wouldn't mind learning another language at all but I do think to go and live abroad without even knowing the basics really is naive.  Or maybe many English still think everybody should speak our language?

Wish I could say it was a "sounding off" Confused, but it ain't.

Everyone I seem to have dealt with in the last 6 years in particular, has been looking for an angle. 

Through my eyes and experiences we seem tacky, cheap, stupid, greedy, arrogant, uneducated, untrained and so far up our own backsides it's a wonder we can get off the sofa!

Our culture is disappearing.  This is nothing to do with immigration or anything like that.  This is because we have let our sense of identity diminish because we don't actually care about it.

Councils that have stupid planning regs and are ungoverned.

Police, that are so quick to jump if you go 1 mph over the limit but show bugger all interest in burgalry, arson (in my sisters case) - Route of least resistence is the title I would apply to them.

Politcians who couldn't lie straight in bed and are willing to sell us down the swanny to please either large corporations or their mates in high places!

Sorry but I just don't like what England is becoming any more.  We just don't have many reasons left to be so ****-sure of ourselves.  To be honest I think we are becoming a bit of a joke.

The countryside is nice though!

A little island in the Atlantic - one of the Canaries. And yes, they've got a dreadful rep for the English, almost as bad as Spain, but they're very beautiful islands, life is a lot more relaxed, cheaper (although since the euro came in it's creeping up). So have been learning Spanish for some years - but it's great to give the brain something new to do. Wish I could say the same of many compatriots over here, as there are little enclaves of Brits who can't be bothered with anything Spanish, let alone the language.

And no, didn't have any plans about how it was all going to work out over here, just took the leap and came. It isn't/hasn't been easy, but on the other hand, neither was getting on the tube every Monday morning and dealing with the stresses of life in blighty. Also, just wanted to get away from all those smarta*ses who thought they were clever because.... 'I've just bought some Manolo Blahnik shoes/4X4/shoebox in Fulham, etc'.

Well whats stopping you? I.e. are you saving, is it family, scared? Please enlighten

I'm busy building up the business I started a couple of years back and putting things in place so that I can move to Holland semi-permanently with someone else running the show here, while I then concentrate on what I actually want to do in Holland (sell the business and do something else over there, or start a new arm of the business in Holland)

That's the only thing that's keeping me here, timescale 12 to 18 months hopefully, plus it gives me something to look forward to :)

Well I have run away to one of the colonies, (hence the name) and let me tell you, I would not look back for any amount of money.

The quality of life in some of these former colonies is astounding compared to the UK. Much of this is not due to the cheap prices, but the attitudes of the locals.

In the uk, success is judged on the size of your TV and the registration letter of your car. Who cares if you are in hock up the ying yang and work a 60hr week.

People in the UK whinge about immigration, but what amazes me is how they keep the country full. Over here I earn less money but my standard of living is higher. Go figure.

Only things I truly miss are soccer (but over here it is on free tv as it has no pull), the BBC and the Sun (both are now handily online).

I am eagerly watching HPC because I firmly believe that once a major western country has a HPC, it will be the first domino, and I believe that in the new information age, the lag will be reduced / eliminated because people in other countries will be aware of the crash as soon as the BBC reports it.

And another thing while I am at it, lay off the BBC, you people on HPC don't realise how good you have it until you live abroad and see the alternatives. We seem to be dominated in the world by only three view points - BBC, FOX empire and Al-jazeera.

You may think that a radical statement, but there are very few independant news organisations that are not owned or in the pocket of these three.

A few troll statements in there for sure, but am wanting to hear peoples views on a couple of points I have been pondering for a while.

Hi, I occassionally read topics here about people wanting to leave the UK in search of greener pastures.

Please tell me why, if your so unhappy with the UK you are still here? If I was in prison and told I was allowed to leave I would leave the building and not stay complaining about how bad it was.

Sold house in June... just serving out my notice... my rental is up in December... then New Zealand here we come...

I've been planning our move for two years (thank Gordon Brown and IR35 for that!).

We're going to sit out the HPC somewhere a little more interesting... get the kids educated... and if we still feel some emotional connection to the UK in five years time we might just come back - or not.

Incidently the number of Brits applying for Permanent Residency in NZ has more than doubled in less than 12 months - go figure!

The BBC is something I'd hate to lose (actually one of the few things I'd miss), but then you can get most if not all of it in Holland.

As for being too far from friends and family: I can travel from Amsterdam to Luton in about 40 minutes then drive to Essex in about another 30 minutes, so staying so close (Haarlem, Holland) would then make a total journey of only a few hours at most.

It takes 5 hours to drive from Blackpool to Zone 1 Central London, puts it in perspective :)