House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hedgefunded

Ba Crews Want 'travel Parks'

The Unite union has made a last-minute offer to call off the latest British Airways strike if the airline reinstates travel parks for cabin crew.

The offer was delivered by Unite joint secretary Tony Woodley, who added that the union wanted fresh talks with BA bosses later on Sunday.

:lol:

I work for a utility company. Can I get free electricity and water please?

Lets face it, most people have very limited sympathy with the BA staff and this sort of thing does absolutely nothing to help them. They are cabin crew and there is no real shortage of people who would be happy doing the job the BA crews do and at the salary they do it. I have to say I would love to hear Mr Walsh putting up a mass recruitment campaign and telling the union to go an %^*& themselves.

Some employees use the perks to commute to work in the first place?

That's ridiculous. Should be hiring locally.

There was a strewardess type on a phone in on Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago saying some people commute from the Caribbean and they wouldn't be able to continue working without free travel - bye bye then.

They should give themback to them and put them INTO contracts so they are eligable for BIK taxes.

How can this not be taxable?

There was a strewardess type on a phone in on Radio 5 a couple of weeks ago saying some people commute from the Caribbean and they wouldn't be able to continue working without free travel - bye bye then.

I refuse to believe this :blink::blink:

Here's me walking to work 5 mins down the canal, and there they are getting subsidised several hundred quid just to get to work. Unbelievable.

Well it's just a damning indictment of how expensive it is to live in the UK when it is cheaper for somebody to fly all the way across the planet and do a job a local could do.

When I was in Hong Kong there was a massice BA recruitment drive.

Can't find anything immediately to back up the Caribbean (someone else on here must have been listening too?), but at least there's this -

Many French and Spanish cabin crew rely on the BA travel scheme to commute to the airline's Gatwick and Heathrow bases and would be left out of pocket by the move, according to trade union sources.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2010/jan/22/british-airways-strike-employee-benefits

Damn I wish my boss would pay my travel to commute to Manchester from the Cote d'Azur.

Guest X-QUORK

I wish the media would outline the union demands more clearly, it's hard to make a decision about the rights and wrongs without the facts.

From what I gather, they did hire locally to start with. But for many employees, the combination of a high salary, low working hours (i.e. can effectively have a second job or run a business, as many BA pilots and cabin crew are alleged to do), lower taxes in some of the countries that BA regularly flew to and the free flights meant that it made economic sense for them to live a long haul trip away from their work base.

But we're no longer in the 1970s and this racket is not sustainable any longer. That's what they appear not to get.