House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest Absolutely Fabulous

Best North West Seaside Resort To Live In

Guest AuntJess

My sister is thinking of retiring to the seaside - in the North West - and we were discussing the pros and cons of various ones.

There is a selection. St. Annes/Lytham - pluses = near an airport and decent shops, level walking:minuses = too near Blackpool;

Southport/Formby - great shops but too near Liverpool and prone to overspill from same.

Grange over Sands - picturesque - cold winters?

Bolton le Sands - quiet....cold?

Anybody got anymore insights to add?

Cleveleys:

Fleetwood - fresh fish on tap - quiet

My sister is thinking of retiring to the seaside - in the North West - and we were discussing the pros and cons of various ones.

There is a selection. St. Annes/Lytham - pluses = near an airport and decent shops, level walking:minuses = too near Blackpool;

Southport/Formby - great shops but too near Liverpool and prone to overspill from same.

Cleveleys:

Not too sure about your knocking of Blackpool and Liverpool. Both places actually have nice areas. I must confess to having a liking for Blackpool's nostalgic charm, having spent many a happy childhood weekend with my family there. That said, I'm not sure I'd want to live there permanently.

Grange over Sands is horrible and chavvy in places.

Cleveleys, Fleetwood and Southport are OK. Fairly quiet, popular with the blue-rinse brigade; but at least you're not going to get stag do's on your doorstep every weekend.

Cleveleys:

No idea, but can I ask why the 'cold' is even mentioned above as a consideration ?! I think it is ubiqutious.

Has she considered somewhere like Fife in Jockland ? Some lovely wee places up there. Can be pricey though.

Cleveleys:

I live in Fleetwood but would move to Cleveleys or St. Annes if I could afford it. Avoid Blackpool at all costs.

I live in Fleetwood but would move to Cleveleys or St. Annes if I could afford it. Avoid Blackpool at all costs.

The in laws have just got themselves quite a nice house in St. Annes, seems quite a nice place to be the property wasn't too obscenely priced either..

Blackpool is a stag/hen bombsite, I'd stay well away from there if I were you.

I knew a couple of ne'r do wells from my old small town. They upped sticks and moved to the seaside to claim dole and housing benefit, and probably milk the cash in hand seasonal economy there. Plus they reasoned that they may as well be on the dole at the seaside. This phenomena could explain the unusually high chav quotient in some such places.

Not too sure about your knocking of Blackpool and Liverpool. Both places actually have nice areas.

You are wrong. Blackpoo is druggie central. And if the crack addicts don't get you, the drunken Glaswegian tourists will. Did I mention it stinks of stale hamburger grease?

Guest anorthosite

Best place in the northwest would be Ullapool, or if she likes the more rustic feel, try Scourie.

Beautiful beaches nearby with white sands, always quiet, warm gulf stream waters and almost no crime.

I used to live in Ormskirk, next to both Southport and Formby.

Southport - gentle seaside resort for the retired. "Scousers" are a minor problem, the locals pride themselves on NOT being part of Liverpool. A bigger problem is the pubs and clubs at the weekend are full of teenagers from the surrounding towns out on the piss. But avoid living in the Lord St to seafront area and you'll never notice them.

Formby - weird place in my opinion. Felt like a dormitory town for the middle-management drones from Liverpool. Lots and lots of houses, but no real town centre or life of its own.

My tuppence worth, for what it's worth! Oh, and this was 10 years ago, things may have changed etc...

Try the Wirral peninsula instead. West Kirby, Hoylake, Meols, round there if you want to live at the "seaside" without living at an actual resort. You're not too far out for Chester or Liverpool if you really have to... depending on where you are you can see the welsh mountains, there are countryside walks, etc. Or you could go for the exotic option of Parkgate which is a seaside resort without any sea... [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkgate,_Cheshire] For someone retiring that is what I'd choose over all the options discussed so far anyway. Proper seaside resorts (ie. large part of their income is tourist based) are miserable places out of season and manic in season anyway. And yes, this is where I grew up hence the tourist board pitch, albeit in the nasty industrial part I wouldn't wish on anyone!

Guest theboltonfury

Cleveleys:

Have you considered Barrow? Very nice this time of year.

I would go for Lytham, the part further south near the market place is genteel and civilised. I think the influence of Blackpool is overstated, but on the downside you need a few 100K to get somewhere nice which is just plain daft in my view.

Wouldn't have said so myself. I think you'd have to go a long, long way to find anywhere with a lower crime rate or better behaviour, frankly. It's the kind of place where nearly everybody says 'please' and 'thank you' and holds doors open for one another, and the nearest thing you'll ever get to road rage is where two drivers both stop to let each other pull in/out at the same time and end up in one of those good-natured politeness competitions. Nor are the winters especially cold as another poster mentioned. Around Morecambe Bay it hardly ever snows and it misses out on most of the frost that you'd get even just a mile or two inland.

The negatives for Grange are:

1)- Average age of residents is about 179.

2)- It's not actually by the sea any more. That part of the bay started filling up with spartina grass about 20 years ago and the sea doesn't get within about half a mile of the promenade any more.

3)- Can't think of a 3, but it's worth repeating number 1 again. Even people in their 70s feel out of place there.

Arnside's similar to Grange, but smaller and the average age is somewhat lower at 148.

Guest AuntJess

I thought you would persuade her to come to Devon AJ. The mild winters must be appealing.

She would like to but it is a wrench from her family and friends, as she wants to be closer to them than 250 miles.

My friends are scattered around the UK and overseas and half my family is right here. Hoping to get the other half down here.biggrin.gif

Guest X-QUORK

Can't help you on this one AJ, the closest I've been to that part of the world is the Lake District.

Why has no-one mentioned Morecambe? yeh, the centre/west end is shit, but up towards Bare is ok... heysham's next door the other way and picturesque around half-moon bay. Probably full of hairy-arsed bikers on their way to the TT at the moment though...

Love the way the OP though anything slightly further north would have some sort of arctic microclimate, like 20 miles up the coast make's a diff :-)

Cumbria has a few more seaside towns, but they're not really retirement places, probably silloth is the nearest to any kind of 'resort' i.e. has caravan park and amusements.

In short, i'd retire to keswick and pretend derwentwater's the sea. It looks much nicer too.

Why has no-one mentioned Morecambe?

The OP mentioned Bolton Le Sands - close enough. Hest Bank is nice of course, but anywhere closer to the town centre is asking for trouble. Good place for the BTL crowd though - just look at these crack-head hostels, er I mean guest houses:-

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-29464613.html

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-24547201.html