House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Danny Deflation

Sarah Ferguson Sells Access To Royalty For Half A Million!

Why would it be illegal ? She appears to be doing what recruitment consultants do every day of their lives.

Prince Andrew is a public figure working on behalf of the country / government. Why should she be getting huge amounts of money for introducing people to someone who the taxpayer pays for. Imagine if I wanted to see my MP but had to bribe her first before I could. I also dislike the underhand methods - this payment system is not upfront and accountable - none of us in the public even knew it existed (though many will say they suspected).

How much went into her pocket and how much into public funds - I'd like to know.

... Imagine if I wanted to see my MP but had to bribe her first before I could. ....

I'm sure you are just as bemused as I am over the amount of people who can't at least see what the problem is.

But this is just a legacy of big government. When people in high places have no shareholders, profit motive or audit, this is the kind of society we end up with. Why worry that a drug is less effective / more expensive when you can take fees for ensuring its selection? It's just business, right? Why give a job to the best person when you can place a relative who can provide a quid pro quo at a later date?

As you point out, the lack of transparency is the key. What criteria are employed when granting access? What criteria are employed when contracts are awarded?

And what happened to good old fashioned merit and toil? What is Ferggie doing for this money? Is she plumbing a housing estate, nursing the sick, playing a tennis tournament, curing cancer, discoving green tech or nano-tech? No. She just knows somebody. Presumably just as 'Tim-Tim, nice but dim' did. Do we want Tims essentially running everything (any more than they already do?), or do we want the best, brightest and hardest working to take those positions? Support what Ferggie is doing and you are voting for the former.

Can someone please enlighten me as to why a meeting with Prince Andrew would be deemed worthy of half a million quid...or even quarter that?

God I bet he rues the f*cking day....

Sarah Ferguson Sells Access To Royalty For Half A Million
The going rate for anyone who wants to come and play with my cats in my garden is £300,000. :D That even applies to the Queen - unless she brings some minced swan for the cats, then she might get a discount.

I'm sure you are just as bemused as I am over the amount of people who can't at least see what the problem is.

I'm also bemused by the number of people who can't see what the problem is with "amount of people".

I'm also bemused by the number of people who can't see what the problem is with "amount of people".

:lol:

Pedant

Besides, in the trafficking business we measure people by the tonne, so "amount of people" is a perfectly valid expression.

Just to clarify, I am bemused by both the number and amount of people who can't see the problem here. :rolleyes:

500 grand is a huge huge amount of money.

:lol:

I do think you are one of th emost valuable members of the forum ccc. This place is so full of indignant, honest mugs like me, we'd never know what UK 2010 is all about if it weren't for people like you. True, we could join out acquaintances ITRW in conversation over these thorny issues, but we'd soon find ourselves sent to coventry and again, none the wiser.

So far you have opened my eyes on paid-for-sex and nepotism / anti-competitive practice. I wait with baited breath for your continued pearls of streetwise-wisdom.

I also note that according to the beeb and sky, you are by no means alone. 'Course, I'd be lying if I said any of this surprised me.

I sense a serious dose of sarcasm.. :)

Prince Andrew is a public figure working on behalf of the country / government. Why should she be getting huge amounts of money for introducing people to someone who the taxpayer pays for. Imagine if I wanted to see my MP but had to bribe her first before I could. I also dislike the underhand methods - this payment system is not upfront and accountable - none of us in the public even knew it existed (though many will say they suspected).

How much went into her pocket and how much into public funds - I'd like to know.

I am not saying what she did is nice, or pleasant or to be respected. However I just wonder what part of it is 'wrong' ?

She has the contacts to be able to set something up. Other people do not. For some reason papers want these things set up - probably because it sells. So she is simply selling her ability to arrange this meeting or whatever. Stuff like this happens all over the shop. And as far as we have been told Prince Andrew had no part of this. So it was going to (If this was actually going to happen) be private money from the NOTW paid to a private individual to gain access to a meeting with a Royal. The Royal would receive no cash. If they were willing to pay for this then what is wrong with it ? They clearly would try to go direct to Prince Andrew if they could. Did not work. So they would happily pay someone to do it for them. How is this different from a dating agency or a recruitment consultant ?

In fact - would it be such a bad thing if Prince Andrew did end up getting paid for it ? Lots whinge about how much the Royals cost us. If they can get cash like this then we can stop having to pay them. They can pay for themselves.

I just don't see the big deal.

Just to clarify, I am bemused by both the number and amount of people who can't see the problem here. :rolleyes:

500 grand is a huge huge amount of money.

It's is also not a real amount of money - as it was a made up story remember.....

Probably easier to snare somebody if you offer stupid amounts of cash that you have no intention of paying. They were happy to blow 40k on this story though. So that probably gives a more realistic idea of how much these things usually cost - if they happen regularly - which I imagine they do.

I am not saying what she did is nice, or pleasant or to be respected. However I just wonder what part of it is 'wrong' ?

Clue : the red bit wot you wrote.

It's is also not a real amount of money - as it was a made up story remember.....

er, I think the point is she believed it was real.

Clue : the red bit wot you wrote.

Yes and lots of things are not very nice. Way of the World. That was my point. This story has been shot out like she is some sort of devil women and this act of hers is disgusting and everyone should be sickened by what she did.

When in fact if you think about it - what she did is really nothing out of the ordinary. It is certainly not 'wrong' in any legal sense of the word - I don't think the 'Police' have even been mentioned.

er, I think the point is she believed it was real.

And ? People are getting annoyed because of the amount of money she COULD have got for providing access to a Royal. The fact this money was actually made up is rather important in this respect - no ?

The money involved was actually 40k. That is what the paper was willing to pay. Not 500k. In fact this story is probably far bigger than the one they were pretending to be interested in. They got Fergie and Prince Andrew - and all for 40k.

Again - am I the only person who can see this....

And ? People are getting annoyed because of the amount of money she COULD have got for providing access to a Royal. The fact this money was actually made up is rather important in this respect - no ?

The money involved was actually 40k. That is what the paper was willing to pay. Not 500k. In fact this story is probably far bigger than the one they were pretending to be interested in. They got Fergie and Prince Andrew - and all for 40k.

Again - am I the only person who can see this....

People think that royalty should be above bribery for access etc.. It's what the civil list is for.

She's not on it, but she is (in)famous for being royal. Is she supposed to get a job in a doctor's surgery or something? The 15K figure doesn't make any sense. If I were the queen I'd throw her more bones cos something like this was bound to happen.

People think that royalty should be above bribery for access etc.. It's what the civil list is for.

She's not on it, but she is (in)famous for being royal. Is she supposed to get a job in a doctor's surgery or something? The 15K figure doesn't make any sense. If I were the queen I'd throw her more bones cos something like this was bound to happen.

Fair enough - but she is not royalty, so I don't see why everyone is getting their knickers in a twist. Her payout was very low, compared to other arrangements I imagine, so she is just making up for this by getting paid indirectly for her knowledge of the Royals.

As you say - not a surprise it happened. How many of us would do anything diferently ?! She was offered a huge sum of cash to arrange a meeting with someeone she knows. She made it clear the person was above any of this themselves. However she would arrange the meet and it was up to them where they took it from them. She was literally opening a door - and nothing else. They were offering her 500k for literally opening this one simple door then leaving them to it.

The faux outrage of the masses is very amusing.

IMO - 99.9999999% of them would do exactly the same themselves.

ccc,

We've already been here with the paid-for-sex thread. You seem to think that as long as something is legal, it's okay. I've tried to explain the ethical aspects and the lack of fairness. You don't seem to have any instnct for this kind of thing, so maybe you should just leave itatthat. Let others decide what is right and wrong (as politicians decide statutes) and don't trouble yourself with such things.

ccc,

We've already been here with the paid-for-sex thread. You seem to think that as long as something is legal, it's okay. I've tried to explain the ethical aspects and the lack of fairness. You don't seem to have any instnct for this kind of thing, so maybe you should just leave itatthat. Let others decide what is right and wrong (as politicians decide statutes) and don't trouble yourself with such things.

I agree with the ethical aspect and all that. I just don't think it is a huge deal. Far more unethical stuff going out there that is far more unpleasant to worry about.

As for Fergie - At present it is the media who are deciding what is right or wrong. Most of the public out there will just swallow it up without a second thought. And to prove the point it is the media in the first place who made up this story !! Perfect circle. Let's throw as much money as we can at someone, to entice them to do something - then publish our disgust at how horrified we are by this all. It's ok - not that many will actually bother to think about the hypocrisy and faux disgust for themselves.

I take it as my duty to point out the other side of the story - for fairness sake.

for fairness sake it should be acknowledged that it was her

who issued the demand for 500k

If it was done without her ex's knowledge

then she is being fraudulent

if he did know then he is operating corruptly

His position is to facilitate trade for the nation

not to sell his handshake at half a million a time

and certainly not so Miss Piggy can pay for her

pals private school fees (ahem)

and just because worse things happen at sea

doesnt mean we should treat this as acceptable

it is bribery and corruption and its just not cricket

for fairness sake it should be acknowledged that it was her

who issued the demand for 500k

If it was done without her ex's knowledge

then she is being fraudulent

if he did know then he is operating corruptly

His position is to facilitate trade for the nation

not to sell his handshake at half a million a time

and certainly not so Miss Piggy can pay for her

pals private school fees (ahem)

and just because worse things happen at sea

doesnt mean we should treat this as acceptable

it is bribery and corruption and its just not cricket

Yes she 'demanded' that 500k. However is it not possible this number was put into her head by someone at the NOTW :rolleyes:. They are not exactly going to come out and say that are they. She is not either. All apologies from now on from her.

And why is doing this without Andrew knowledge fraudulent ? She is proposing to set up a meeting with someone she knows very well. As she says in the transcript, it is all about her and her cut and nothing to do with money on his side. What part of that is fraudulent ? A bit cheeky yes !! Corruption and fraud ? Hardly.

She can set up the meeting and if Prince Andrew wants to tell them to go jump he can.

Pretty lame and desparate acts from this woman ? Totally - 100%. Anything more ? Nah - IMO.

In case that sounds like I'm royal bashing: I'm not. The threat of President Blair (or President Major) being our head of state is enough to keep me a staunch monarchist.

This might sound a bit daft, but do we need a head of state at all?

If Obama or whoever flies in for a visit,can't the PM meet them without being the head of state? Does it really matter if we haven't got one?

Just something that's been at the back of my mind for a while now.

ccc,

What about the ethical aspect of land 'ownership' or other timeless classics such as why only a fraction of Road Tax goes on transport spend?

What you appear to be saying is that 'it just doesn't seem right'.

Rich foreigners have always bought access to our elite movers and shakers, whether it's Mandelsohn or George Osbourne or Denis Thatcher.

Get real, corruption is here and we turn a blind eye until it's some ginger bint the papers tell us to care about.