House Price Crash Forum
88Crash

What Is The Ulitmate Guide

It’s a question!!! I don’t know the answer???

I’ve been on this forum for the last five years and as a generalisation, I reckon that a lot of HPC’s are

1. Younger than me

2. Not happy with the UK

3. Not in a position to leave the UK

I’m also wondering if ‘too much information’ doesn’t always help us, unless we are in a position to use this information to change things, i.e. get involved in politics or pressure groups etc,

I hate to admit this, but the people I know that believe ‘house prices always go up’ because the that’s what a respected economist told them (their local estate agent) and they MEW’d for that new kitchen, BMW and holiday to the Maldives, tend to be happier than those of us that seriously question the UK system and understand the long term implications

Dare I say it????

Maybe Ignorance is BLISS?

I’ve been on this forum for the last five years and as a generalisation, I reckon that a lot of HPC’s are

1. Younger than me

2. Not happy with the UK

I’m also wondering if ‘too much information’ doesn’t always help us, unless we are in a position to use this information to change things, i.e. get involved in politics or pressure groups etc,

I hate to admit this, but the people I know that believe ‘house prices always go up’ because the that’s what a respected economist told them (their local estate agent) and they MEW’d for that new kitchen, BMW and holiday to the Maldives, tend to be happier than those of us that seriously question the UK system and understand the long term implications

Dare I say it????

Certainly, over the past decade if you had listened to the EAs, got yourself a public sector job and bought a house you probably are very content indeed.

Certainly, over the past decade if you had listened to the EAs, got yourself a public sector job and bought a house you probably are very content indeed.

Not always very fair, but I'd agree with that and thats quite a few nillion Brits in that position

I fear you're right. All the x factor watching sheeple at work all seem pretty happy and relaxed and view me with faint derision as i sit gibbering in the corner clutching my crate of gunz 'n' beanz.

I fear you're right. All the x factor watching sheeple at work all seem pretty happy and relaxed and view me with faint derision as i sit gibbering in the corner clutching my crate of gunz 'n' beanz.

Sadly i really wish I was wrong - i fact I hope I'm wrong, there must be a few people away from HPC that are not brain washed by X factor etc,,,

Alas the vast majority do not see the fnords. Once you can see them there's no going back.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fnord

[/quote

I wouldn’t suggest going back and i certainly take the point once you know something you can’t ignore it, but I wondering (and i stress wondering) – when you understand a bit more about how the UK and for that matter the world economy works, you have a dilemma, because from my experience most people don’t

Not trying to suggest that somehow HPC’rs are more enlightened than the sheeple in ‘superior sense’ i.e. better human beings, but they do have more of a grasp on certain realities, which puts you at odds with a lot of your friends/families

Unless you can leave the UK for a different environment, i’m wondering if its worth suppressing some of those thoughts, if only for a more content life, because I don’t see things changing for the better anytime soon

]

Edited by 88Crash

Regain a sense of scale. Many on this board fester on the minutia and expect the whole world to tumble tomorrow.

I think that’s what i was thinking, except you put it succinctly in one line ;)

PS Which can lead to a lot of frustration for many members that maybe expect changes too soon

Edited by 88Crash

Alas the vast majority do not see the fnords. Once you can see them there's no going back.

There's a randy word in your post.

fnarr fnord

I think that’s what i was thinking, except you put it succinctly in one line ;)

Yer, enjoy the sun because as sure as eggs is eggs the HPC (or lack of) will still be there when you come back..

Yer, enjoy the sun because as sure as eggs is eggs the HPC (or lack of) will still be there when you come back..

thanks - I did today - about 30 degrees, but the point of my thread is aimed more at Brits and especially younger brits that cannot leave the UK and although i may be showing my age a bit here, it does make me sad that so many youngsters (my definition is under 30) are not as happy or content or whatever you want to call it, as I was when I was that age

It makes me sad, quite honestly

Hey..i wish i was 30 again!!!!

I agree with that bit at least. My cat always seems to be in a suspiciously good mood.

Cats are easily pleased, as are dogs, shame the simpler things in life don’t quite work for us!

Maybe I should rephrase that?

No so much “ignorance is bliss” – maybe just reserving certain opinions be it private or public, with a certain acceptance of “It is not going to change anytime soon”

Many of us on this site could see the MASSIVE problems brewing years ago, but because there is such a huge vested interest in UK property coupled by an obsession with the sheeple, it think it is so easy to get wound up by the situation, which is detrimental to the individual

You may be right (from an economic or morale point of view) BUT if you are going to be living in the UK for the foreseeable future, it is unlikely to change anytime soon

In the big scheme of things, house prices are not so important – buy or rent, but don’t let if you let it upset you, it isn’t a happy place to be in?

Not talking about you BTW :D

thanks - I did today - about 30 degrees, but the point of my thread is aimed more at Brits and especially younger brits that cannot leave the UK and although i may be showing my age a bit here, it does make me sad that so many youngsters (my definition is under 30) are not as happy or content or whatever you want to call it, as I was when I was that age

It makes me sad, quite honestly

Hey..i wish i was 30 again!!!!

Most people will just ride the storm, or the shi7storm, delete as appropriate. Does my 18 year old cousin think too much right now about HPC? No, he thinks of alcohol, girls/getting laid, money/job probably in that order, much like any one else did at that age. Luckily, and more as a result of family contacts, he has a job now - he is lucky this was a manufacturing area where there were always jobs but not any more.. I think most people are ignorant of the realities and in some ways being ignorant and getting on with things (ooh, look, the sun is shining, xfactor is on) might be best...!

But yes, I don't imagine people are more happy or content, people seem to always forget the social side of life these days - I blame the internet/facebook/mobiles etc for that.. for all we have extended social relationships we have found new ways to bother "seeing people" and imo an email/message aint quite the same as getting your "hands dirty" and going and seeing people in the flesh..

Edited by givemethegun

But yes, I don't imagine people are more happy or content, people seem to always forget the social side of life these days - I blame the internet/facebook/mobiles etc for that.. for all we have extended social relationships we have found new ways to bother "seeing people" and imo an email/message aint quite the same as getting your "hands dirty" and going and seeing people in the flesh..

Agree 100%

I left the UK a year ago, BUT although its more social where I now live, globalisation is only a time lag. Things are catching up fast down here as well and having a beer with a friend is also being replaced with above at an alarming rate

Most people will just ride the storm, or the shi7storm, delete as appropriate. Does my 18 year old cousin think too much right now about HPC? No, he thinks of alcohol, girls/getting laid, money/job probably in that order, much like any one else did at that age. Luckily, and more as a result of family contacts, he has a job now - he is lucky this was a manufacturing area where there were always jobs but not any more.. I think most people are ignorant of the realities and in some ways being ignorant and getting on with things (ooh, look, the sun is shining, xfactor is on) might be best...!

most people are ignorant of realities until they hit them.

thats why the last PM was popular...he spent in areas to make most people feel no alarm.

whispering the alarm when the Titanic was sinking would have meant little panic....until the icy water drew up into your cabin.

Guest DestroyBrown

It is best not to spend too much time on this site, as the "waiting for a pot to boil" scenario applies

I keep popping on expecting to discover some new revelation like "Interest Rates to rise to 5%" "House prices in freefall" "BTL Bloodbath" "Gordon's execution imminent"

but alas no. I just get my daily dose of frustration and despair as I realise we have been well and truly f***ed over and yet another atrocity is being revealed. What's more the sheeple either don't realise or don't care.

Key to happiness? - I don't really know but going in search of bad news on a daily basis is probably the best way to a mental institution

True - but they might not be so happy over the next couple of years as 700,000 redundancies take hold, interest rates soar and negative equity bites.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. I know where I would rather be at the minute.

Actually, there is a happiness in the knowledfget hta you're preparing yourself and your friends and family(as far as possible!) to the forthcoming shipstorm. So yes, I'd say I was happy.

I don't get to drive the flashest car, or have three sets of holidays a year though.

most people are ignorant of realities until they hit them.

thats why the last PM was popular...he spent in areas to make most people feel no alarm.

whispering the alarm when the Titanic was sinking would have meant little panic....until the icy water drew up into your cabin.

But then once you know these things, even if many do not, is it possible to keep those thoughts at the back of your head, but on a day to day basis, make the best of the UK, be happy and not react/respond to the obvious cr*p that is happening around us, compounded by the fact that the vast majority (at least up until recently) don’t seem to have a clue what is/was really happening?

Guest absolutezero

True - but they might not be so happy over the next couple of years as 700,000 redundancies take hold, interest rates soar and negative equity bites.

I love the way how it's a foregone conclusion that all the above will definitely happen and The Market will solve everything.

People's precious "market" is manipulated by Governments.

They'll chuck the kitchen sink at it and inflate away your savings.

1. Younger than me

2. Not happy with the UK

Dare I say it????

Of course ignorance is bliss.... Until it collapses and turns to hell. You lose your home and still owe massive debts. Your whole life is ruined. If only you knew you could have prevented it by making better decisions years earlier! If only you could turn back time!

It is best not to spend too much time on this site, as the "waiting for a pot to boil" scenario applies

I keep popping on expecting to discover some new revelation like "Interest Rates to rise to 5%" "House prices in freefall" "BTL Bloodbath" "Gordon's execution imminent"

but alas no. I just get my daily dose of frustration and despair as I realise we have been well and truly f***ed over and yet another atrocity is being revealed. What's more the sheeple either don't realise or don't care.

Key to happiness? - I don't really know but going in search of bad news on a daily basis is probably the best way to a mental institution

I can't add anything more to the above, I fact I should copy and paste it and use it in my first post on this subject, because that is exactly what i mean

The frustration I get off of this site from a great many people truly saddens me for exactly the reasons you point out

Stay in ignorance seems to = Happier

Stay informed = frustration and all of the above

Something has gone terribly wrong somewhere?

I love the way how it's a foregone conclusion that all the above will definitely happen and The Market will solve everything.

People's precious "market" is manipulated by Governments.

They'll chuck the kitchen sink at it and inflate away your savings.

the last one would but this one?

Is the kitchin sink really enough?