House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest mmm....beer

Does Anyone Use A Gym Ball As A Chair?

It's my body, it's not the New World ffs.

IMHE the only muscle people seem to have trouble locating is their pubococcygeus muscle, and I don't think I'd want a yoga instructor "showing" me that one. For the rest try some proper excercises and weight training.

And incidentally, I had a chair made for me once by a "professional", following a car accident - money no object cos the insurers were footing the bill. I was horrified to find an off-the shelf Staples special was more supportive for 1/30th of the cost.

Fact is it's all big con. One decade they'll tell you you need more support, next decade, less. Then they'll invent stupid terms like "core" when trunk, lower-back, upper back, chest etc are far more meaningful. Personal trainers however love the term core because it is simultaneously:

- ambiguous;

- indicative of a sense of being essential.

Give 'em half a chance and they'll have you on acai berries, having moved swiftly on from gogi berries (and blue-berries before that).

These phenomena have one thing in common: the presentation of something as essentially new / novel so as to extract a higher margin. There is however nothing new about exercing the "core", just as there is nothing new about berries & currants. People used to go black-berrying for free and do crunches etc, for free. Now, because they are credit rich and time poor, they abdicate all responsibility for their own health, prefering to allow new age "gurus" to fleece them with psychobable and pseudo-science.

eusa_clap.gif

What's wrong with sitting on the floor?

You walk on floors. That makes them a source of bacteria. Unless you are as fastidoius as the Japs about your floors, It's better practice not to go sitting on them. Obviously modern living means most floors are okayish, but even as our homes have become easier to clean, people have become lazier, hence the rise in dust mites etc. Pet owners aren't advised to sit on floors either.

Incidentally, if you look at all our modern fetishes - eg perfect lawns, metrosexual grooming, they all seem bizarre, but they are all grounded in sound hygiene and pest / vermin management. We've just taken them beyond the bounds of sensible.

It's my body, it's not the New World ffs.

IMHE the only muscle people seem to have trouble locating is their pubococcygeus muscle, and I don't think I'd want a yoga instructor "showing" me that one. For the rest try some proper excercises and weight training.

And incidentally, I had a chair made for me once by a "professional", following a car accident - money no object cos the insurers were footing the bill. I was horrified to find an off-the shelf Staples special was more supportive for 1/30th of the cost.

Fact is it's all big con. One decade they'll tell you you need more support, next decade, less. Then they'll invent stupid terms like "core" when trunk, lower-back, upper back, chest etc are far more meaningful. Personal trainers however love the term core because it is simultaneously:

- ambiguous;

- indicative of a sense of being essential.

Give 'em half a chance and they'll have you on acai berries, having moved swiftly on from gogi berries (and blue-berries before that).

These phenomena have one thing in common: the presentation of something as essentially new / novel so as to extract a higher margin. There is however nothing new about exercing the "core", just as there is nothing new about berries & currants. People used to go black-berrying for free and do crunches etc, for free. Now, because they are credit rich and time poor, they abdicate all responsibility for their own health, prefering to allow new age "gurus" to fleece them with psychobabble and pseudo-science.

+ lots.

A decent chair will cost a lot more than that. It's a false economy to get a cheap chair, back problems being expensive and time consuming to sort out. But that doesn't mean you have to get an Aeron or something. My $30 Swiss ball is more fun to sit on than my $x,000 Aeron, which is way too low for one thing. Or my desk is too high. In any case, I have to now watch I don't stay in one position too long.

And Sledge, get yourself down to a yoga class if you want to discover your core muscles. If you object to the term it's up to you to come up with a better description for those muscles groups.

I got an Aeron for my home-office. Definitely a fad was my conclusion. Bought it on the recommendation of various friends, think it's just a subtle' oo look at me I sit my precious ar5e on a grand's worth of chair and I'II shoehorn in the fact I've spent a grand on a chair by talking about how it's helped my posture.

For anyone who thinks there's no scope for public sector cuts there are an alarming number of these Aerons in local and central government offices.

If anyone's wondering what the fook this chair is it's the mesh type one that Dimbleby sits on to host Question Time (that's about 8 TV licences worth for him to spend an hour a week sat on it)..