House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LuckyOne

The Top 5 Reason For And Against .......

For :

- A negotiated and legally binding personal income tax regime

- More direct democracy than most countries

- A healthy, outdoor lifestyle

- A physically beautiful country

- Very centrally located within Europe

Against :

- Expensive houses

- An anti-car culture

- A myriad of rules

- Quite boring

- Shameful behaviour in the 1940s that wasn't resloved for about half a century

Are there any other significant factors for or against a move to Switerland that I have overlooked?

I have been to Switzerland twice.

First time, we were based in the campsite in Zermatt. The tent leaked.

Years later, I was in a Five Star hotel in Lugano for a Conference.

There was a thunderstorm and my bedroom ceiling fell in.

Conclusion: Switzerland is wet and leaky, avoid.

Expensive houses? I thought they were more reasonably priced than here.

Anti Car? In what way? I went there, hired a car and drove around on their nicely maintained roads and motorways without any worries. I heard that if they catch you speeding it's a bit harsh. Do they tax car owners loads or something?

I'd say it depends which part you go to. I've spent a large amount of time in and around Geneva and found it to be very enjoyable, and despite the reputation very good value for money, i.e. you may spend 20% more at a restaurant when compared to the UK equivalent but in my opinion the food would be more than 20% better.

I've some friends who live there and they say that the red tape can be a nightmare and it can take days to get things done.

For :

Against :

- Expensive houses

- An anti-car culture

- A myriad of rules

- Quite boring

Are there any other significant factors for or against a move to Switerland that I have overlooked?

Britain has expensive houses, higher petrol prices and lots of rules. We were also very naughty during the Boer War. And invaded Iraq on made up evidence killing a million civilians.

I don't think the Swiss have an 'anti-car' culture, more of an anti knobhead in a flash car culture. If you are a multi millionaire it is a very bad idea to get done for speeding, the fine is based on your net worth...

ways to circumvent fast car fines:

either:

(1) live near the Italian border and go over there for fun driving. also cheap beer.

(2) give up fast cars and take up mountaineering to get thrills

(3) get motor boat on Lake Geneva

(4) get private plane and license - flying among the alps must be cool

Very centrally located within Europe

Against :

- Expensive houses

- An anti-car culture

- A myriad of rules

- Quite boring

I've heard it said that the Swiss are very much like the Germans, except that they don't share the Germans' reckless disregard for authority.

Guest absolutezero

I went to Geneva. It was shut.

Zurich is decent though.

Guest KingCharles1st

Aren't the Swiss supposed to be boring farts

Britain has expensive houses, higher petrol prices and lots of rules. We were also very naughty during the Boer War. And invaded Iraq on made up evidence killing a million civilians.

I don't think the Swiss have an 'anti-car' culture, more of an anti knobhead in a flash car culture. If you are a multi millionaire it is a very bad idea to get done for speeding, the fine is based on your net worth...

I have a local's (albeit from an English background) view about the Boer War. The local consensus is that the Brits invented the concentration camp in 1899-1902. The Germans "perfected it". Trench warfare was also "invented" in the Boer War. A lot of the captains and majors in the Boer War were colonels and generals in WWI.

The UK also has a net worth based speeding fine regime. I was done for doing 87 on a motorway in Kent. The means testing data that I had to provide was quite onerous. It was the second speeding fine that I have recieved in 20 years of driving.

My assumption about the anti-car culture in Switzerland is probably based on urban myth. I always assumed that it was illegal to wash your car on your driveway in Switerland for example. Despite my tale above, I generally don't speed on public roads and prefer to drive very quickly on track days so the speeding fine regime is really not a big issue for me.

• It's the coolest sounding country name by miles.
  • If you were called tony and lived there, you'd be swiss tony.
  • Verbier
  • Wengen

A friend recently accepted an IT contract for an American Food Distribution Company in Geneva. Thought he was on good money, but the cost of living means he is not well off. He cannot find cheap rentals and his idea of living in France and commuting to the city is not practical.

Do it, but you need 150K / annum to make it worth while.

For: beautiful country, decent-quality housing, more places to find cleanish air and water, less devotion to the car than the UK.

Against: the food is basically German cuisine with the interesting bits taken out (and you'll be lucky to get it at all after about 8pm, except in the cities). Shooting is popular, and blights some of the countryside somewhat with noise.

The real downside is that the UN is there. That has given a bunch of yodelling hill farmers who make cuckoo clocks as a winter past-time an inflated sense of superiority.

p-o-p

For :

Against :

- Expensive houses

- An anti-car culture

- A myriad of rules

- Quite boring

I'd encourage anyone to emigrate to Switzerland. The more the merrier. Should be good for HPC.

I'd encourage anyone to emigrate to Switzerland. The more the merrier. Should be good for HPC.

There has been a lot of chat here about whether the Whories have the stomach to encourage a HPC.

The lack of certainty about taxes within Whorie policy (for non-doms and ordinarily resident tax payers) and the knowledge about the size of the debt and the potential solutions to deal with the problems seem to presage a lot of people with money removing their tax base from the UK.

This will probably encourage a HPC as well as a whole host of problems for those who remain behind.

There has been a lot of chat here about whether the Whories have the stomach to encourage a HPC.

The lack of certainty about taxes within Whorie policy (for non-doms and ordinarily resident tax payers) and the knowledge about the size of the debt and the potential solutions to deal with the problems seem to presage a lot of people with money removing their tax base from the UK.

This will probably encourage a HPC as well as a whole host of problems for those who remain behind.

The problem with these people is that they keep promising to move to Switzerland but never do.

I have a local's (albeit from an English background) view about the Boer War. The local consensus is that the Brits invented the concentration camp in 1899-1902. The Germans "perfected it". Trench warfare was also "invented" in the Boer War. A lot of the captains and majors in the Boer War were colonels and generals in WWI.

Yeah, erm. Sorry about that. Not our finest hour.

If it's any consolation, you did give the British Empire a bloody good kicking at the height of it's power though, not bad for a bunch of farmboys.

but moving to switzerland is hardly a statement about economical cost of living, or am I missing something?

I moved there and went snowboarding and climbing for 3 years, then came home (I did not go there for a job, the job was just a way of being there :) )

So my 5 of each, plus and minus, all from 10yrs ago, but I doubt it's changed much.

Plus

- Superb environment. Public transport, housing, health care, parks, offices - UK is a shabby hole by comparison.

- Alps at your doorstep. You can get a day return train fare + ski pass for < £30. Set out early and you can be standing on your snowboard by 10am on a sunny Saturday morning.

- Great night life in Zurich,

- Good money, in some instances it was outstanding. In my day the guys coining it worked for banks as IT contractors via shady holding companies. Today I'm sure its different.

- Safe, law abiding. I never heard of an instance of crime affecting my friends. Period.

Minus

- The Swiss are the most @nal-retentive people on the planet, You can be fined for having an untidy garden, peeing standing up after 10pm, doing housework on a Sunday, ...

- The Swiss are basically lazy. Their ideal career is to sweat foreigners to death and live off them. Management is for swiss only. Rent is for for you to pay, for them to receive.

- The Swiss are small minded and insular1. To fit in you will have to be more Swiss than the Swiss. My (British, became Swiss) boss was singing and playing the accordion in his village folk band, married to a Swiss girl and spoke fluent Swiss German before he really managed to fit in.

- The cost of living is shocking. Look at their teeth. Even the Swiss can't afford dental treatment.

- Expect to be ripped off at every turn. The one I used to love was the 15CHF charge for kleinesmittel (=little things) when my car was serviced. That's a £5 charge for soap and paper towels for the mechanic :)

What you find amongst the ex-pats is that they either live there, play and leave (me2), live, love the place, become Swiss and stay (my boss) or they stay too long when the minuses have started to outweigh the pluses and become bitter and very unhappy.

The trick is to avoid being in the last category.

------

1 To be fair, the swiss live with a huge immigrant/migrant population, the UK would be in flames at the same levels so they're pretty good - but they do stick together. This makes them inevitably a bit reserved and at the fringes extreme in their views of foreigners. There were plenty of political parties getting elected on 'restrict immigration' tickets which can be a real pain at work permit renewal time.

2 Before anyone says I didn't make the effort to fit in, my German was pretty good by the time I left, I had plenty of friends, both ex-pat and local - I just didn't want to be Swiss and wanted to go while I still liked the place.

I moved there and went snowboarding and climbing for 3 years, then came home (I did not go there for a job, the job was just a way of being there smile.gif )

So my 5 of each, plus and minus, all from 10yrs ago, but I doubt it's changed much.

Plus

- Superb environment. Public transport, housing, health care, parks, offices - UK is a shabby hole by comparison.

- Alps at your doorstep. You can get a day return train fare + ski pass for < £30. Set out early and you can be standing on your snowboard by 10am on a sunny Saturday morning.

- Great night life in Zurich,

- Good money, in some instances it was outstanding. In my day the guys coining it worked for banks as IT contractors via shady holding companies. Today I'm sure its different.

- Safe, law abiding. I never heard of an instance of crime affecting my friends. Period.

Minus

- The Swiss are the most @nal-retentive people on the planet, You can be fined for having an untidy garden, peeing standing up after 10pm, doing housework on a Sunday, ...

- The Swiss are basically lazy. Their ideal career is to sweat foreigners to death and live off them. Management is for swiss only. Rent is for for you to pay, for them to receive.

- The Swiss are small minded and insular1. To fit in you will have to be more Swiss than the Swiss. My (British, became Swiss) boss was singing and playing the accordion in his village folk band, married to a Swiss girl and spoke fluent Swiss German before he really managed to fit in.

- The cost of living is shocking. Look at their teeth. Even the Swiss can't afford dental treatment.

- Expect to be ripped off at every turn. The one I used to love was the 15CHF charge for kleinesmittel (=little things) when my car was serviced. That's a £5 charge for soap and paper towels for the mechanic smile.gif

What you find amongst the ex-pats is that they either live there, play and leave (me2), live, love the place, become Swiss and stay (my boss) or they stay too long when the minuses have started to outweigh the pluses and become bitter and very unhappy.

The trick is to avoid being in the last category.

------

1 To be fair, the swiss live with a huge immigrant/migrant population, the UK would be in flames at the same levels so they're pretty good - but they do stick together. This makes them inevitably a bit reserved and at the fringes extreme in their views of foreigners. There were plenty of political parties getting elected on 'restrict immigration' tickets which can be a real pain at work permit renewal time.

2 Before anyone says I didn't make the effort to fit in, my German was pretty good by the time I left, I had plenty of friends, both ex-pat and local - I just didn't want to be Swiss and wanted to go while I still liked the place.

Great post.

but moving to switzerland is hardly a statement about economical cost of living, or am I missing something?

I always look at the cost of living on the basis of the after tax income that you can save for any given lifestyle.

Relative cheapness depends on income, relative tax rates and your way of life.

Switzerland is probably relatively cheaper compared to the UK for someone on 500k who leads a relatively modest life than it is for someone on 100k who spends it all.