House Price Crash Forum

Thread For Cheap Ba******ds Like Me....

Darkman

HOLA441

If you're a cheap barsteward like me, you'll understand the pleasure in making small savings.

So I'll start us off.

Does anyone here have a razor blade sharpener? I was just browsing Ebay (as you do) and discovered a "safety razor blade sharpener".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pifco-Sharpax-luxe-Razor-Sharpener-/190397690917?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2c54963425#ht_500wt_975

Now, I've always spent money on disposable blades. Over the years it must really add up. I've never heard of a razor blade sharpener before. The ones on Ebay all appear to be vintage, so it's not a modern thing? But if these things effective, I'm having one. That's for sure. No more wasting money on pricey blades.

Any other money saving tips welcome ;)

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
HOLA442
HOLA443
Guest absolutezero

Feck me; do you wash your used toilet roll as well?

Always use both sides. Cuts your bog roll bill in two.

HOLA444
HOLA445

I'm pretty cheap.

I always have my eyes on the ground looking for cash.

Must be worth £20 a year for free..

Yeah I do that too. At Christmas last year I found two £20s and £10 on seperate occasions in different places all in one week! Nothing since though :(

HOLA446
Guest KingCharles1st

I'm pretty cheap.

I always have my eyes on the ground looking for cash.

Must be worth £20 a year for free..

Not at all. I used to have to do that to try and find money for food it got that bad at one point, and I now realise the value of money, and even that grubby little one penny piece that someone else has inadvertently chucked away, could be the start of something big.

HOLA447

(Seems like ages since I've posted...)

Anyway, this may be sad but to save on the (metered) water bill, I have a bucket by the wash basin and fill it with used wash water, and use it to refill the cistern. It must save me pounds.

I suppose the other question is how many times can you pee before a flush is required :blink: ?

HOLA448

Buy Asda twinblade disposable razors. 29p for 10. Only good for 2 or 3 goes, especially after a lazy weekend, but I spend less than £5 a year on razorblades.

Morrisons ones are even chepaer but they are c**p IMO, don't even get through one shave before they're blunt.

HOLA449

Anyway, this may be sad but to save on the (metered) water bill, I have a bucket by the wash basin and fill it with used wash water, and use it to refill the cistern. It must save me pounds.

I suppose the other question is how many times can you pee before a flush is required :blink: ?

tap-cistern.jpg

HOLA4410
HOLA4411
HOLA4412
HOLA4413

Sounds terrible for the environment if they're only good for a couple of shaves.

I suppose it's all relative. My entire year's supply would probably fit in one big ceral box, but I usually only put out 1 black bag a week for the bin-men.

Family opposite put out 6 bags a week - minimum. We recycle bottles, metal cans and paper round here but it's optional. You can see why some councils go over the top (8+ different bins / bags), it's the only way to get some feckers make the effort.

HOLA4414

My wife uses washing up water on the garden.

I'm not water-metered, but I still have one of those litre(?) stiff plastic bags in the cistern. Saves a litre a flush, and over years must keep thousands of litres of water in the mains for others use, which otherwise would go down the sewers. I can't understand why every cistern hasn't got one in already. i have heard of people standing a brick up in the cistern. Does the same job. I think the plastic bag is this thing called Hippo:

modhippomedup0.jpg

post-12677-12745681394554_thumb.jpg

HOLA4415
Guest absolutezero

There's three of us here and we put out 1-2 plastic bag's (shopping bag) worth a week. We only really chuck out non-recyclable plastic and cooked food waste. I really wish they'd sort it out so that things like yoghurt pots and the trays that meat come in would be recyclable.

I thought the whole recycling thing was a scam.

There was a Panorama (or something similar) on it once.

Apparently the council can claim money from the EU if they encourage people to recycle.

The recycling ended up in landfill.

HOLA4416
HOLA4417

I thought the whole recycling thing was a scam.

There was a Panorama (or something similar) on it once.

Apparently the council can claim money from the EU if they encourage people to recycle.

The recycling ended up in landfill.

I very much doubt that the steel and aluminium (cans mostly) that's collected winds up in a landfill. It's too valuable as scrap metal.

HOLA4418
HOLA4419

I like to think it gets recycled. I know two different trucks come to get it where I live. I work from home so I get up at about ten except for on a Tuesday and Friday where I get woken up at about 7.30 when the come to get the recyling and again at about 8.30 when they collect the landfill refuse (collecting the landfill bins is loud enough to ensure that I can't get back asleep).

We have to put bottles and metal cans into blue crates. And the feckers collect them at 7:30am to. The sound of glass and metal being chucked into a steel cage on the back of a big noisy diesel engined truck trundling down the road is enough to wake the dead. we don't need alarm clocks on bin day that's for sure.

HOLA4420

If you're a cheap barsteward like me, you'll understand the pleasure in making small savings.

So I'll start us off.

Does anyone here have a razor blade sharpener? I was just browsing Ebay (as you do) and discovered a "safety razor blade sharpener".

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pifco-Sharpax-luxe-Razor-Sharpener-/190397690917?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item2c54963425#ht_500wt_975

Now, I've always spent money on disposable blades. Over the years it must really add up. I've never heard of a razor blade sharpener before. The ones on Ebay all appear to be vintage, so it's not a modern thing? But if these things effective, I'm having one. That's for sure. No more wasting money on pricey blades.

Learn to use a cut throat razor last forever and a day, the initial investment is high and you'll hack yourself to bits initially but men have been using them for the past 1000 or so years, it only recently the gilette corporation has made such things disposible.

HOLA4421

I like to think it gets recycled. I know two different trucks come to get it where I live. I work from home so I get up at about ten except for on a Tuesday and Friday where I get woken up at about 7.30 when the come to get the recyling and again at about 8.30 when they collect the landfill refuse (collecting the landfill bins is loud enough to ensure that I can't get back asleep).

You are alex james/damon albarn and i claim my 5 pounds of cheese

HOLA4422

Why is it that the blades on my electric shaver last a couple of years but razor blades only last a few days? It's as if they were designed to go blunt to make you keep buying them.

Same goes for electric tooth brushes....bought a sonic about 4 years ago the price of the replacement brushes was quite reasonable, since then they lave launched 2 to 3 new sonic models...all do the same thing in my mind, but anyway went to purchase a couple of replacement heads for my old model and they now wanted £28 what a rip off...but to add to the frustration 2 heads for the newer models were about £12....so I had to go on-line to buy them £18 rather than £28....these companies are blatantly taking an advantage of the the public....and no I do not want to buy the new model.... just to add the toothbrush cost £90 to buy in the 1st place so not exactly cheap.

Money saving for whitening toothpaste...use baking soda now and again. ;)

HOLA4423

So I'll start us off.

just buy a straight razor and a strop if you want to sharpen your blade

will save you money in the long term

if you do stay with the disposables ones though make sure to dry them off after use , will help them stay sharp

HOLA4424

Learn to use a cut throat razor last forever and a day, the initial investment is high and you'll hack yourself to bits initially but men have been using them for the past 1000 or so years, it only recently the gilette corporation has made such things disposible.

Just be a man. Give up on the imitation-female face: women do it so much better than us.

HOLA4425

Just be a man. Give up on the imitation-female face: women do it so much better than us.

The world doesn't work like that, when I arrived in Ulan Bator with a monsterous beard all the way from the UK about 60 or so days growth, everybody treated me like a bum and I kept getting stopped by the cops.

A quick whip round with a knife on my face and I no longer got stopped anywhere people started calling me Sir and I was invisible to cops.

Archived