House Price Crash Forum
Badger

Popcorn Time - Ch4 10.15Pm Tonight

Dunno about you but I'm looking forward to checking out the shabby armchair activist's hero's latest venture. *

*F*ck me I was never good at the apostrophe thing - he's shabby, but the hero of many an armchair activist.

Dunno about you but I'm looking forward to checking out the shabby armchair activist's hero's latest venture. *

*F*ck me I was never good at the apostrophe thing - he's shabby, but the hero of many an armchair activist.

It's a brilliant polemic.

Got to give him credit, he knows how to contruct a case.

It's a brilliant polemic.

Got to give him credit, he knows how to contruct a case.

yes the same way as politicians, by generally talking sh!te (or spin and selective editing ) to give it its modern terminology

Edited by Tamara De Lempicka

On Yesterday they're showing "1929 : The Great Crash" right now.

With that and Michael Moore tonight too, are the schedulers trying to tell us something?

I stumbled across "TV Nation" on BBC 2 at the age of 16 (1994); around the same time I discovered HIGNFY and The Day Today. It's expose of white collar crime, among others, was quite possibly the single most formative experience of that time and I never viewed the world in the same way again.

Discovering HPC in 2004 was a similar experience.

Thanks for this. I never check to see what's on TV nowadays so I would have missed it.

Go Mikey! Looking forward to it - a masterful and deeply amusing piece of work apparently. Thanks for the notice :-)

Edited by gruffydd

The trailer:

:lol::lol::lol:

Pelosi you pig!

The reviews are bloody good too.'

http://www.rollingstone.com/movies/reviews/%3Bkw=%5B15332,103706%5D

The Pirates of the Caribbean have nothing on the buccaneers of Wall Street, and the banks and insurance companies that merrily loot America with the help of our elected officials. You know this. I know this. So how come Michael Moore has to make a movie about it? Because we're doing ******-all to change things. The explosive Capitalism: A Love Story is Moore's call to arms against the robber barons who shamelessly empty our pockets while we do nothing about it. Why? Because we want to get in the pants of the upper one percent and rub up against expensive stuff just like they do. Some love story!

Moore sees our abusive relationship with capitalism as a growing plague. His movie, a genuine and welcome rabble-rouser, lays out the history of how democracy got corrupted. Moore's enemies label him as a fat, fatuous irritant who leans toward the overblown, inflammatory and clownishly silly. What's with those crazy stunts like making a citizen's arrest on the board of AIG or hanging yellow crime-scene tape around the banks? To get our attention, that's what. Moore is a populist, not an academic. He knows how to wield a camera like a blunt instrument. He also knows how to put a human face on statistics as we watch banks foreclose on the homes of families who never read the fine print. Moore's fireball of a movie could change your life. It had me laughing with tears in my eyes.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/feb/25/capitalism-a-love-story-review

Edited by gruffydd

While on the subject of such 'subversive films, I recently discovered 'Viva Zapatero!'

Language

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viva_Zapatero!

Story

The TV broadcasting of the satirical program RAIot was censored in November 2003 after the comedienne, Sabina Guzzanti, made outspoken criticism of the Berlusconi media empire. Mediaset, one of Berlusconi's companies, sued the Italian state broadcasting company RAI because of the Guzzanti show asking for 20 million Euro for "damages" and from November 2003 she was forced to appear only in theatres around Italy.

After the show was cancelled, Guzzanti tried fruitlessly to get it reinstated, in spite of the fact that a judge dismissed the case that initially resulted in the termination of the show. Her struggle however, did result in this film. The documentary openly reveals censorship laws that Italian Prime Minister Silvio Berlusconi is presently imposing on the country's freedom of speech. It is seen by some as Italy's "Fahrenheit 9/11."[citation needed]

In August 2005, it was the sleeper hit of the Venice International Film Festival, receiving a 15-minute standing ovation after its premiere screening. When it opened in Italian theaters, over 200,000 people went to see it in the first week. Its success resulted in an invitation to the 2006 Sundance Film Festival.

It's under £2 on Amazon

Edited by Saving For a Space Ship

Leftie loonie, but I do like his films. Very entertaining. But the bias and emotive reporting is cringeworthy at times.

If he has all the answers he should run for office.

yes the same way as politicians, by generally talking sh!te (or spin and selective editing ) to give it its modern terminology

not actually seen one of his films then ....eh ?

For those of us without tv's there's alway his last film

No TV and no radio, not even in the car, and rarely enter an urban area these days. I feel better, much better x 10.

Saw this a few months back, it may serve as a wake up call for some people. When profit is the ultimate motive, there isn't much people won't do to get it. Putting kids in prison for cash being a particularly sickening example.

Lots of ad breaks in this film :lol:

lol, i know, the irony!

It's not bad so far and it's more highlighting the faults with America rather than capitalisium so far, but the prison thing is truely hidious and sounds very much like the PPI stuff done by Labour :ph34r:

Dead peasant insurance ..?..christ (company takes out an insurance on its employee and will profit if the employee dies early ..... )

Walmart/Asda .......... does this happen over here ?

heh ..........even adverts for his DVD ...well if you cant beat it !

Lots of ad breaks in this film :lol:

And in the ad breaks, you will notice that the sound volume increases significantly.

Why? So you can't avoid hearing them, of course. No accident.

A pain in the neck, and probably causes a lot of irritation to many people's neighbours. It certainly annoys the hell out of me.

There used to be rules about audio levels on TV, regulated by the Independent Broadcasting Authority.

The IBA was abolished, and some of it's functions taken over by OfCom, who do not regulate volume levels.

A small but subtle example of corporations being freed by politicians to make your life a little worse, for corporate profit.