House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Abstra

Ba Strikes

I don't know wether I support there action or not. Its because I've heard so many different story's about how much they actually earn. Does anyone know the truth.

What are there working conditions really like. Do they get a couple of weeks in Barbados on expenses every year. Can they take there family.

I don't know wether I support there action or not. Its because I've heard so many different story's about how much they actually earn. Does anyone know the truth.

What are there working conditions really like. Do they get a couple of weeks in Barbados on expenses every year. Can they take there family.

What difference does how much they earn make?

It is very hard to know as they get a basic salary and then the ones that are on long haul get all sorts of allowances that make up the pay depending on time away from home , etc. Also there is differing levels of seniority from basic cabin service to purser to Cabin Services Director, etc. So the range may well be from 15K basic to 50K+ per year for a CSD doing lots of long haul flights to Aus, Argentina, etc.

ive been working as BA cabin crew for 20 years and i can confirm the media talk is rubbish, i took home less than 12 million last year and the free flights for ourselves freinds and family is vastly exaggerated as it is only kin that can be traced back in less than 35 generations

ive been working as BA cabin crew for 20 years and i can confirm the media talk is rubbish, i took home less than 12 million last year and the free flights for ourselves freinds and family is vastly exaggerated as it is only kin that can be traced back in less than 35 generations

I fcukin buzzed you for a g&t half an hour ago. Hurry up, you lazy, overpaid git!

It's the old contracts that are a problem - in excess of £50k pa when perks are taken into account.

They should get the market rate for the job. If they're not getting it at BA, they should leave and get a job with a company that does pay the market rate ;).

Why?

I don't get why there is any antagonism over this sort of thing. it's basic negotiation.

"I want more money" Says one guy. "I don't have any!" says the other guy "I call Bullsh1t, i'll stop work to see if you are bluffing."

Next up is "oh you really don't have any more money" and "neither does anyone else I guess I better adjust."

But there is nowt wrong with downing tools.

Why?

I don't get why there is any antagonism over this sort of thing. it's basic negotiation.

"I want more money" Says one guy. "I don't have any!" says the other guy "I call Bullsh1t, i'll stop work to see if you are bluffing."

Next up is "oh you really don't have any more money" and "neither does anyone else I guess I better adjust."

But there is nowt wrong with downing tools.

I disagree, if they don't like the job they should go elsewhere. Downing tools whilst being paid to do a job of work is basically theft.

I disagree, if they don't like the job they should go elsewhere. Downing tools whilst being paid to do a job of work is basically theft.

i dont think they get paid whilst they down tools

Fair enough then. But, if that means that BA is short of cabin staff, they should sack them and take on new staff who are happy to work for them.

They don't.

Calling in sick en masse and claiming sick pay while they were actually watching TV or shopping would be theft.

Downing tools is perfectly reasonable. What's the problem with striking?

They don't.

Calling in sick en masse and claiming sick pay while they were actually watching TV or shopping would be theft.

Downing tools is perfectly reasonable. What's the problem with striking?

There's no need, just leave and get a job with a company that pays more money.

Guest absolutezero

Yet another one who spouts off before he knows the facts... :rolleyes:

You go on strike, you don't get paid.

There's no need, just leave and get a job with a company that pays more money.

Why bother?

Just stop working for the guys you know and see if they up their offer.

What's wrong with that?

Why bother?

Just stop working for the guys you know and see if they up their offer.

What's wrong with that?

If it inconveniences them, they should sack you and take on a more reliable employee.

If it inconveniences them, they should sack you and take on a more reliable employee.

Don't get it.

Why is this process one way traffic?

if you and all the other workers don't like who you work for, why can't you just refuse to work until there is a new boss put in or something?

So whats a contract worth then?

I think his model is "you sign a piece of paper and now have to do anything you are told until doomsday or your owner tells you to ****** off."

I think his model is "you sign a piece of paper and now have to do anything you are told until doomsday or your owner tells you to ****** off."

Yup, market forces. If a company pays poor wages it will lose it's employees to the competition ;).

Yup, market forces. If a company pays poor wages it will lose it's employees to the competition ;).

No, that's exploitation.

market forces are when every rule applies to everyone. Free association is king.

i.e. if you don't like the manager you have, you can sack them, just like they can sack you.

proper contracts are bilateral.

No, that's exploitation.

market forces are when every rule applies to everyone. Free association is king.

i.e. if you don't like the manager you have, you can sack them, just like they can sack you.

proper contracts are bilateral.

Then do away with contracts, make it so that a person works for a company and a company employs the person whilst it is mutually agreeable.

Then do away with contracts, make it so that a person works for a company and a company employs the person whilst it is mutually agreeable.

Why?