House Price Crash Forum
Sign in to follow this  
DonnieDarker

Shame On Me...moving In With Partners Parents!

(The same parents who were nagging me to buy somwehere) :lol:

Cant find anywhere decent to rent so we've decided to move in with parents for a month or two.

That'll save another grand a month. :lol:

What this did get me thinking about is...what an advantage it gives you if yuo can live with parents...no wonder so many Asians/Turks do it. You can save an extra £10K cash a year, easily.

The price of independence eh?!

Guest growl

Cant find anywhere decent to rent so we've decided to move in with parents for a month or two.

What this did get me thinking about is...what an advantage it gives you if yuo can live with parents...no wonder so many Asians/Turks do it. You can save an extra £10K cash a year, easily.

Money isn't everything Donnie. If these same parents were nagging you to buy a place and now you have moved in with them.

What next?

Don't let yourself be controlled by parents and especially not someone elses. Obviously I don't know all of your situation or how old you are. but I just hope that you and the girlfreind have a strong relationship. Think what would happen if you fell out with each other. Would you be able to go back to your own parents?

We are about to enter into dangerous times? While you are at her parents, try and save as much as you can in your own bank account. Do not have joint accounts.

Also make sure you keep in contact with freinds as well. If the dirt hits the fan you may need a couch to lie on for a night.

I'm not trying to worry you. But just before the last crash I was in a similiar circumstance to you and ended up homeless and I could not depend on anyones parents. So try and get some of that independence back, especially financially.

Good Luck by the way, and don't get stressed by what I have just said, just bear it in mind. :)

im not sure if this is as a good thing really donnie. i mean - what if you want to get some crumpet and the in laws are sitting between you eating pickled onions and burping.? or when your trying to get some kip the nipper keeps crying and your wife has sown tennis balls to the back of your stripey pyjamas to stop you storing. "leave it out you stupid great nit ? shut that kid up" ect. bang bang. leaky pipe.

Everyone on here keeps banging on about how there's a massive oversupply of rental property and that rents are falling.

How is it then that Donnie can't find anywhere?

Is there or is there not an oversupply of rental properties? Perhaps TTRTR has a point after all.

Everyone on here keeps banging on about how there's a massive oversupply of rental property and that rents are falling.

Is there or is there not an oversupply of rental properties? Perhaps TTRTR has a point after all.

Maybe this could be more an expectations issue, as in 'I can't get what I want for the money I'm prepared to spend'.

Or maybe it's the age old perception that rent is 'dead money' so I'm better off with the folks.

Donnie ?

you are not alone...

last October I moved in with my in-laws, as I had just moved to London. The general idea being that we would be there until May when I would pay off the last of my student debts and she would finish her studies.

For reasons that I shan't go into, we are still there. It has placed tremendous strains on our relationship which we have barely survived, and I am also a tad resentful that the summer seems to have passed me by with me stuck in some kind of limbo. The one consolation is that I have managed to save a significant sum of money (by my standards, anyway) but you cannot put a price on sanity.

My advice would be simple - don't let it become a rolling, open-ended thing. If every party involved agree that it is a short-term measure with a definite end point, then it is probably a good thing... but once it takes on an edge of permanence, then problems will begin

My advice would be simply not to given in to everything they ask you to do, unless it seems reasonable. Its give and take situation there, so you don't want to be giving in all the time, otherwise they'll take you for granted and just use you.

I could rent, but I don't. I live with my mum. Why? I'd rather give her rent than a

landlord and I pay 40% less than renting a house (plus all my bills including food) are

factored into that too. Rest of my money is then saved, apart from entertainment/petrol

money.

Would I prefer to live on my own again? Of course, but if I want some me time

I can afford to pi** off for the weekend and stay in a hotel.

Well I am heading the other way - out of the Wife's parent's house! We came back from almost a year working in Canada and travelling. Took a late gap year to give us time to decide where to come back to and settle. The experience hasn't been too terrible it's just amazing how quick time flies when you are looking for a job and a new place to live. We were renting out our house but have sold it so back into rented accomodation until we find our feet and can afford the new expensive area we will be living.

There does seem to be a shortage of rental property available here near Christchurch. The flat we are moving to is also advertised for sale for £162k while the rent is £600, what's strange is the advert which indicates it is for sale as a BTL. One BTL flogging it to another seems the way of the market at the moment!

Some people can live with their parents or other people's parents and all get along just fine.

Having my own place is priceless and worth every penny.

If I still lived with parents I'd be bloody loaded, but not very happy.

Maybe this could be more an expectations issue, as in 'I can't get what I want for the money I'm prepared to spend'.

Or maybe it's the age old perception that rent is 'dead money' so I'm better off with the folks.

Donnie ?

Thanks for all your concerns! But it isn't as terirble as it sounds...

1) We're not doing it to save money and will keep looking for rental property in the meantime. The "saving money" thing is simply a bonus.

2) We are being quite picky at the moment. We know this. But we also wanted to make use of the trump card of not feeling time-pressurised into having to take somewhere we weren't all that happy with.

Cost is not really an issue. We are prepared to pay a fair whack for rent but only on somewhere that represents quality.

But I have to admit that the amount of rental property is pretty scarce in my post-code although admittedly my net is rather small.

To surmise, we are moving in with the parents to give ourselves the advantage of taking somewhere when it turns up. I really don't anticipate being there for much longer than 2 months.

The alternative was to take a property that was £230 a week with Foxtons.

It was a nice enough place, but I don't want to deal with foxtons; don't want to pay their extortionate £300 fees and felt uncomfortable about the security of the flat. I have been burgled enough times for security to be something of an issue. The place had garden access and a rickety back door.

The ONLY danger I foresee is that after a month when I look at my bank balance and see all the money that is still in there the lifestyle may become seductive.

The day will inevitably come when you arrive home early from work, open the front door and see your future mother-in-law dressed from head to toe in a leather Dominatrix outfit whilst your future father-in-law kneels on the floor wearing a french maid's outfit.

It always happens. Then you will question whether money you have saved was worthwhile!

1) We're not doing it to save money and will keep looking for rental property in the meantime. The "saving money" thing is simply a bonus.

....The alternative was to take a property that was £230 a week with Foxtons.

... The ONLY danger I foresee is that after a month when I look at my bank balance and see all the money that is still in there the lifestyle may become seductive.

Hmmm, few contradictions here...

do you think you are being totally honest with yourself DD?

Incidentally, what are your current living arrangements?

Hmmm, few contradictions here...

do you think you are being totally honest with yourself DD?

Incidentally, what are your current living arrangements?

Life is full of contradictions!

I'm being completely honest with myself.

We're saving more than enough so any extra dough is merely a bonus, not a neccesity.

But I would be an idiot if I didn't foresee the feelgood factor of seeing an extra £500 in my bank-account every month.

If I was doing this to save my deposit or something I would feel trapped but the very reason we are doing this to avoid being trapped into renting somewhere which might be a) overpriced and b ) make us unhappy.

The scales of happiness have been weighed on this one!

Edited by DonnieDarker

On the subject of rental property...anecdotal...but we are seeing more than a few properties which people have tried to sell - not been able to - and are now renting out.

The problem is is that the area is pretty desirable and as many of you will appreciate...once a good flat becomes available the first people who see it will take it.

As a parent of a 30 something, I really don't understand why all these parents are allowing their kids and sometimes their partners to live with them for a peppercorn rent while subsidising huge amounts of savings. I sure as hell wouldn't but then I brought mine up to be independent.

If they genuinely hadn't got any money it would be a different matter, but to fund massive savings? No way.

2) We are being quite picky at the moment. We know this. But we also wanted to make use of the trump card of not feeling time-pressurised into having to take somewhere we weren't all that happy with.

Cost is not really an issue. We are prepared to pay a fair whack for rent but only on somewhere that represents quality.

But I have to admit that the amount of rental property is pretty scarce in my post-code although admittedly my net is rather small.

To surmise, we are moving in with the parents to give ourselves the advantage of taking somewhere when it turns up. I really don't anticipate being there for much longer than 2 months.

The alternative was to take a property that was £230 a week with Foxtons.

It was a nice enough place, but I don't want to deal with foxtons; don't want to pay their extortionate £300 fees and felt uncomfortable about the security of the flat. I have been burgled enough times for security to be something of an issue. The place had garden access and a rickety back door.

The ONLY danger I foresee is that after a month when I look at my bank balance and see all the money that is still in there the lifestyle may become seductive.

As you know i live with my mum, the way that i do it is each month i take out my fixed costs, i.e rent, car, bike, internet out of my paycheck then i put the into whatever savings thing im doing at the time.

I sperate the overtime from the basic wage and put the overtime money into a savings account (online banking), i use my current account overdraft for all my purchases, then settle with the money in my savings account.

It means that my play money comes from doing overtime but even this when not being spent is collecting interest in a savings account... current account interest is only 0.01% so i leave that just about breaking even.

Can save quite afew pennies that way, but i gotto admit im single and quite dull. (hmm i wonder if there is a correlation)

As a parent of a 30 something, I really don't understand why all these parents are allowing their kids and sometimes their partners to live with them for a peppercorn rent while subsidising huge amounts of savings.  I sure as hell wouldn't but then I brought mine up to be independent.

If they genuinely hadn't got any money it would be a different matter, but to fund massive savings?  No way.

Don't forget to water your high horse now and again!

Well, I'm no 30 something but that's besides the point.

As I said, this is not about saving money. It's about not being boxed into a corner with no choice - or the only choice being a Foxtons place.

In some respects this will be a good thing as I will get to know my future folks-in-law better and I and the girlfriend will be able to chip in more by cooking for an over-worked mother and helping out by shouldering the responsibility by seeing an elderly grandmother.

See much of your kids these days?! ;)