House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest theboltonfury

This World Cup

I was just old enough to remember. Just watch this - there's even some Scottish joy in there too!

How ******ing good was Socrates?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2010/8688369.stm

a bugger for the bottle during his playing days, as well as a notorious chain-smoker

despite being a medical doctor and PhD as well as a footballer.

and i like this from wikipedia:

In 2004, more than a decade after retiring, Sócrates agreed to a one month player-coaching deal with Garforth Town of the Northern Counties East Football League in England.[5] He made his only appearance for the club on November 20, 2004 against Tadcaster Albion, coming on as a substitute twelve minutes from time

quite a guy.

Where was Bryan Robsons bicycle kick against France (opening match IIRC).

That Eder goal against the Scots was fantastic. Brazil 82 were one hell of a side.

True... What chances for Brazil 2010?

Guest theboltonfury

True... What chances for Brazil 2010?

They are my favourites to win. They are far more Europeanised these days but for pure skill and ability, they are unbeatable.

They are my favourites to win. They are far more Europeanised these days but for pure skill and ability, they are unbeatable.

:rolleyes:

Weather will be an important factor. First time since ? (Ever ?) that the Finals have not been played where there was a lot of serious heat. I have no doubt this has played into the hands of the Brazilians over the years. They are used to it, I know that sounds cliched, but it is true.

This WC will be played in possibly chilly temperatures. I am sure the Brazil team will be fine with that - however it is the benefit to the others of not playing in stifling heat that could make all the difference.

Very open WC in my opinion. Any one of quite a few could win it.

Germany

Italy

Spain

Argentina

Brazil

Outsiders

France

Holland

England

Guest KingCharles1st

Weather will be an important factor. First time since ? (Ever ?) that the Finals have not been played where there was a lot of serious heat. I have no doubt this has played into the hands of the Brazilians over the years. They are used to it, I know that sounds cliched, but it is true.

This WC will be played in possibly chilly temperatures. I am sure the Brazil team will be fine with that - however it is the benefit to the others of not playing in stifling heat that could make all the difference.

Germany

Italy

Spain

Argentina

Brazil

Outsiders

France

Holland

England

England in final- Beckham brought on with 5 mins to go when we are 1 down to Brazil. Equalizes with huge free kick.

Goes to penalties after extra time.

All players get a go, and Becks last one misses- retires on spot

Whole World cries for 24 hours

-END-

England in final- Beckham brought on with 5 mins to go when we are 1 down to Brazil. Equalizes with huge free kick.

Goes to penalties after extra time.

All players get a go, and Becks last one misses- retires on spot

Whole World cries for 24 hours

-END-

Just one wee problem with that....hard to take a penalty on crutches..:D

Guest KingCharles1st

Just one wee problem with that....hard to take a penalty on crutches..:D

He is BECKS

He is ABOVE US ALL

Like the Hoff

Germany

Italy

Spain

Argentina

Brazil

Outsiders

France

Holland

England

I don't rate our (England's) chances. If we and Germany each top our groups then we have a chance of making the last 8, where we'll go out to France. If we meet Germany in the last 16 then that will be the end of it.

Outside bet for the semis could be Ivory Coast. Also worth a couple of quid on them at 4/1 to win their group. Portugal haven't been firing on all cylinders, Brazil don't typically play well to begin with and they might end up playing Spain in the last 16. What a game that would be.

They said that about Brazil in 1998 and 2006 as well.

Brazil lost to Bolivia and Paraguay in qualifying, and won 9 / 18 games. Paraguay and Chile won 10.

Holland worth an outside punt I reckon.

England should win their group comfortably, probably putting us against Australia. We'd expect to win that and should we do so, a quarter final against France is the likely outcome.

France are a good side of course, but not a patch on what they were. I'd give England every chance of beating them and reaching the semi-final.

Most likely opponents there would be Brazil, and I'd expect them to go out at that stage.

However, a win against Brazil is not entirely out of the question, and as Brazil are in the 'group of death' they may well not progress. If they only come second in their group then it would be Portugal or the Ivory Coast in a semi-final. I'd give them a chance against either of those.

England do have a very favourable draw, and if they top their group they avoid the likes of Spain, Holland and Italy (assuming those teams win their respective groups, as is likely)

England should win their group comfortably, probably putting us against Australia. We'd expect to win that and should we do so, a quarter final against France is the likely outcome.

France are a good side of course, but not a patch on what they were. I'd give England every chance of beating them and reaching the semi-final.

Most likely opponents there would be Brazil, and I'd expect them to go out at that stage.

However, a win against Brazil is not entirely out of the question, and as Brazil are in the 'group of death' they may well not progress. If they only come second in their group then it would be Portugal or the Ivory Coast in a semi-final. I'd give them a chance against either of those.

England do have a very favourable draw, and if they top their group they avoid the likes of Spain, Holland and Italy (assuming those teams win their respective groups, as is likely)

I land in South Africa during Englands second game against Algeria on the 18th... I have tickets for Brazil v Ivory Coast on the 20th and for England v Slovenia on the 23rd... If England win the group we will play in Rustenburg on the 26th, I have tickets and if we finish second I have tickets for the game in Bloemfontein as well..... Road Trip !!!! Can`t bloody wait....

Germany

Italy

Spain

Argentina

Brazil

Outsiders

France

Holland

England

Altitude could also play into our hands a bit since we're based at a high altitude whilst most others are at sea level.

Spain and Brazil are the front runners, all the rest are pretty much the same - maybe include Portugal/Ivory Coast as possible outsiders if they get out of their group.

Altitude could also play into our hands a bit since we're based at a high altitude whilst most others are at sea level.

Spain and Brazil are the front runners, all the rest are pretty much the same - maybe include Portugal/Ivory Coast as possible outsiders if they get out of their group.

Does the body really benefit from only a few weeks at a higher altitude ? And we are only talking 1500m here or something ?

Could be a factor I suppose. Butthen how many games are being played at that altitude ?

Agree with the front runners - although the other you mention don't have a chance IMO. They are outsiders for a semi final spot - not to win the thing. IMO.

England do have a good draw all the way to the semis providing they dont happen to meet Germany in the 2nd round. But i think thats unlikely as Germany has a relatively easy group as well.

Looking at the predicted team line ups, Brazil, Spain and the Netherlands look very strong. Argentina also looks pretty useful although their performance in the qualifiers was iffy. Its a hard one to call but personally i dont feel England have enough quality players to win it but you never know.

For anyone who is interested, FIFA is running a fantasy football game on their website. Looks like it should be fun.

FIFA fantasy footy

Every team plays all 3 group games at different stadiums, which is a bit unusual I think. Encourages a lot of travel, but no team gets a 'home' advantage this way. England have put there 'base' at a slight altitude but only the 1st game is at altitude. (Rustenburg - 1500m up)

I notice that Brazil and Argentina are both playing 2 group games in Jo'burg, although at different grounds. And if they win their groups, their R16 games are in Jo-burg too. Bit of favouritism there maybe? Paranoia? Me?

If you think the press were maybe a bit on harsh on England after last night, imagine what it's like in Portugal. They drew 0-0 at home with the mighty Cape Verde Islands last night. :blink:

Every team plays all 3 group games at different stadiums, which is a bit unusual I think. Encourages a lot of travel, but no team gets a 'home' advantage this way. England have put there 'base' at a slight altitude but only the 1st game is at altitude. (Rustenburg - 1500m up)

I notice that Brazil and Argentina are both playing 2 group games in Jo'burg, although at different grounds. And if they win their groups, their R16 games are in Jo-burg too. Bit of favouritism there maybe? Paranoia? Me?

If you think the press were maybe a bit on harsh on England after last night, imagine what it's like in Portugal. They drew 0-0 at home with the mighty Cape Verde Islands last night. :blink:

Lot of driving...

Jo-burg to Port Elizabeth is 1062 Km

Port Elizabeth to Rustenburg is 1104 Km

Rustenberg to Bloemfontein is 441 Km

Bloemfontein to Jo-burg is 396 Km

They wanted fortunes for internal flights and we have access to a decent motor free of charge so for the 2 weeks and 4 games we are there we intend to combine with some stunning scenary.....

Agree with the front runners - although the other you mention don't have a chance IMO. They are outsiders for a semi final spot - not to win the thing. IMO.

Portugal are ranked 3 in the world so they've got a reasonable outside chance IMO.

IC are 27 (thought they were higher) but stranger things have happened, last Saturday at Wembley for starters.

Portugal are ranked 3 in the world so they've got a reasonable outside chance IMO.

IC are 27 (thought they were higher) but stranger things have happened, last Saturday at Wembley for starters.

Outside chances just don't seem to ever win the World Cup. The closest thing is probably England in 1966. Although even then I doubt they were classed as outsiders to the point that IC or Portugal are today.

I would love one of these teams to win it. Just aint going to happen though.

Outside chances just don't seem to ever win the World Cup. The closest thing is probably England in 1966. Although even then I doubt they were classed as outsiders to the point that IC or Portugal are today.

I would love one of these teams to win it. Just aint going to happen though.

I'd like the Cup to be won by a team that doesn't dive, play-act, browbeat the ref etc etc.

So not much chance of that..........

PLEASE not the cheating Italians again.

Football will not be the spectacle it could be until FIFA take action against the cynical teams via strengthening the laws, allowing video referral and instructing the referees to stamp out deliberate cheating with automatic dismissals and even penalty goals.

They (FIFA) won't do this until they have a financial reason to do so.