House Price Crash Forum
AvidFan

Prepare For Age Of Austerity, Says Laws

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/ec3b11f6-651b-11df-b648-00144feab49a.html

Prepare for age of austerity, says Laws

By George Parker and Chris Giles

Published: May 21 2010 22:24

The Liberal Democrat minister in charge of Britain’s biggest postwar spending squeeze has said he is ready to make “aggressive” cuts to bring down the £163bn budget deficit, admitting the choice lies between “the unpalatable and the disastrous”.

David Laws, Treasury chief secretary, will on Monday set out £6bn of savings this year, but told the Financial Times that this was just a start. “We are moving from an age of plenty to an age of austerity in the public finances,” he said.

In his first newspaper interview since moving to the Treasury, Mr Laws said he was “mentally prepared for getting a lot of representations from angry people” as the cuts begin in earnest next year.

Vince Cable, business secretary, has been asked to find more than £900m of this year’s savings, say Whitehall insiders.

Some Liberal Democrats fear that Mr Laws is being set up by the Conservatives as the fall guy in the coalition government, but the 44-year-old former banker insisted: “I actually wanted this job.”

He said he would ensure the cuts were implemented in line with “progressive values” and that key public services and vulnerable people were protected.

Mr Laws argued the alternative was for the Lib Dems to be “throwing stones” at an exclusively Tory team in the Treasury as cuts were made, leading to the coalition’s probable fall.

His Treasury desk is adorned with a knife-sharpening tool – a gift from his Yeovil constituents – with a Lib Dem rosette attached, a reminder to the chief secretary to cut sensitively. “I’ll remember what we stand for as a party,” he said.

But few Treasury officials believe Mr Laws will flinch from making deep spending reductions. His willingness to talk about “austerity” contrasts with a recent reluctance by Tory ministers to utter the word.

Mr Laws said the June 22 Budget would frame the plan to speed up efforts to eliminate the deficit and that he believed it could be “the most important date in this entire parliament”.

He said his efforts to squeeze an initial £6bn of efficiency savings from cabinet colleagues had gone “incredibly well”, revealing that Ken Clarke, the former chancellor and now justice secretary, agreed his departmental target “within hours”.

Mr Laws said the spending review would be “almost undeliverable” if too many areas were protected, and suggested that taxes would inevitably rise further if ministers were unable to deliver longer-term savings.

I wonder if they suss that letting scum OUT of the Nick early does NOT save money!

Your got to re-nick him, then pay all the legal costs to put in BACK in Nick...........why not just leave him there to begin with!

Mike

I wonder if they suss that letting scum OUT of the Nick early does NOT save money!

Your got to re-nick him, then pay all the legal costs to put in BACK in Nick...........why not just leave him there to begin with!

Mike

We should turn the Isle of Wight into a penal colony.

worked well with Australia, certainly taught those convicts a lesson, their descendants must be well gutted

The cuts will lead to further economic contraction, lower tax receipts and a requirement for even larger cuts. The age of austerity, social unrest and economic collapse has begun!

He said he would ensure the cuts were implemented in line with “progressive values” ...

That'll likely be progressing to more impoverishment for even more people.

NuLabour claimed "progressive values" and for them it was slang for reckless levels of debt.

The cuts will lead to further economic contraction, lower tax receipts and a requirement for even larger cuts. The age of austerity, social unrest and economic collapse has begun!

Yay! :unsure:

worked well with Australia, certainly taught those convicts a lesson, their descendants must be well gutted

Yeah, but it'd be rather embarrassing when they send the national cricket to the isle of Wight in a hundred years time and they thrash them on a regular basis.

Mike

Time to make prison pay? Labour based sentences rather than the 5 star hotels contemporary prison inmates have become acustomed to?

Time to make prison pay? Labour based sentences rather than the 5 star hotels contemporary prison inmates have become acustomed to?

Dear sir,

I think a team of ten prisoners mandated to do your job while you go on the dole is a great idea. Then lets cancel the dole and leave you no option but theft and get you on the team as well.

Yours sincerely,

P. Warder.

Mike

Thats the price you pay when you think it is a good idea to close the mental institutions...they are all in and out of our prisons..What clever person came up with that one.. ;)

just by posting that proves to me your a idiot....simple as that,

,Have you ever been inside one? or a five star hotel?

wrong...the contraction has been there all along...just masked by public spending.

why does anyone think the deficit has jumped from 30bn to 160bn?? and GDP is flat....and public spending makes up a part of GDP....one has gone up, the GDP is the same...something else has dropped.....

ah yes, the tax paying part, the same part that pays for the deficit...hmmm.

Guest Noodle

. . . oh I'll take the Shangri-La over the Bangkok Hilton any day. Lobster was much better.

Yes - in the first instance in a visiting capacity and yes in the second in a paying capacity.

:rolleyes:

Dear sir,

I think a team of ten prisoners mandated to do your job while you go on the dole is a great idea. Then lets cancel the dole and leave you no option but theft and get you on the team as well.

Yours sincerely,

P. Warder.

As I, and indeed no one in the UK sews mail bags or digs ditches by hand I doubt it ;)

Guest Noodle

Yes - in the first instance in a visiting capacity and yes in the second in a paying capacity.

:rolleyes:

Any good? Laundry service?

Any good? Laundry service?

I wouldn't have wanted to be involved in the laundry service at the Prison at that time - my reason for visiting was as part of team investigating a mass food poisoning outbreak :lol:

Slopping out must of been gruesome... :ph34r:

As I, and indeed no one in the UK sews mail bags or digs ditches by hand I doubt it ;)

Whatever job you do, it can be broken down into enough small steps (if there is enough slave labour) to lay you off.

Regardless, slavery is evil.

Whatever job you do, it can be broken down into enough small steps (if there is enough slave labour) to lay you off.

Agreed

The point i was making was that prehaps there is an opportunity for the prisoner to pay off some of their debt to society (and in return get an earlier release) and also cut the costs of prisons?

Agreed

The point i was making was that prehaps there is an opportunity for the prisoner to pay off some of their debt to society (and in return get an earlier release) and also cut the costs of prisons?

No, because slavery is evil.

Guest Noodle

We used to do hand digging. Rate was 50-60 GBP a cubic metre. We'd use spades to do it. Trench excavation using a hydraulic excavator was 6 GBP a cubic metre.

Bulk excavation inc load, haul and tip to stockpile likely 3 GBP a cubic metre.

That was when there was work.