House Price Crash Forum

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

fellow

Is Google The Best Company In The World?

Has anyone seen Google's home page today? The logo has been turned into Pac Man, and it's playable!

This got me thinking, is Google the best company in the world?

'Best' is a subjective word.

Yessss. Yessssss. It is. Exactly.

Hence why I asked.

So when you ask if Google is 'the best' it is nebulous. Maybe a more specific question or at least some hint of parameters may get more responses.

Yessss. Yessssss. It is. Exactly.

Hence why I asked.

So when you ask if Google is 'the best' it is nebulous. Maybe a more specific question or at least some hint of parameters may get more responses.

If I was to ask 'Is Stilton the best cheese', you may respond 'no way', and then give your reasoning as to why you hate it. You may also want to tell me which cheeses you think are better. Alternatively you may believe that Stilton is the best cheese, or maybe it is up there with the best cheeses, or that Stilton is indeed a very good cheese but not the best. You may then go on to describe the flavour and texture of the cheese and compare it to other cheeses. If however, you have no opinion on Stilton whatsoever, you may not want to post anything on that particular thread

If I was to ask 'Is Stilton the best cheese', you may respond 'no way', and then give your reasoning as to why you hate it. You may also want to tell me which cheeses you think are better. Alternatively you may believe that Stilton is the best cheese, or maybe it is up there with the best cheeses, or that Stilton is indeed a very good cheese but not the best. You may then go on to describe the flavour and texture of the cheese and compare it to other cheeses. If however, you have no opinion on Stilton whatsoever, you may not want to post anything on that particular thread

Ha ha.

Ok then.

Guest happy?

Has anyone seen Google's home page today? The logo has been turned into Pac Man, and it's playable!

This got me thinking, is Google the best company in the world?

Have you tried googling it to see what responses you get?

Have you tried googling it to see what responses you get?

If by best you mean biggest growing in the last decade - probably yes. If by best you mean courting convtroversy over data protection - no.

It would be interesting to hear the views of anyone who actiually works for them......

Guest Noodle

Google good: The stuff works brilliantly.

Google bad: Their obsessive data-gathering is frankly creepy and dystopian.

Google Sketch Up coupled with Google Earth made my job so, so easy . . . and free too!

Certainly the best (free) software.

This thread is now 4th in Google World if you ask that very question. Impressive.

If by best you mean biggest growing in the last decade - probably yes.  If by best you mean courting convtroversy over data protection - no.

It would be interesting to hear the views of anyone who actiually works for them......

I don't work for them, but I know someone who does and they love it. They moved from microsoft to google..

The Google pacman is fantastic!

Overall, I think they're a great company, so many handy tool and all free. Look at street view, what a great innovation that is, true it might have some nasty uses, but it'll serve as a great catalog of the vast parts of the world for years to come and I'm sure it cost a pretty penny as well!

George was Best, IMPO. and I dont mean ASDA.

OK what has it cost us?

Well for a lot of people, their worldview can be shaped by what Google deems important.*

Don't underestimate how insidious and invidious that is.

And where do you think their advertising revenue comes from, and at what expense to others?

After my last post I saw a TV report about Google deleting someone's YouTube account - personal videos, etc., for alleged trangression of their rules. So using Google as your data archive might not be such a good idea.

If you think any company in the business of data isn't recording searches, think again. Although they are supposedly anonymised, that isn't as 'anonymous' as most people think.

So when people have their 'free' Google search engine, operating system, browser... put it this way, some drug dealers offer kids their first hit 'free'.

Google is a powerful tool to find some information. I use it all the time. But bear in mind that power comes from control of information, and Google is gargantuan.

* and for a while, any government they kowtow to, but to their credit, they did eventually pull out of China, after a long period of agreeing to censorship.